Friday, February 26, 2016

I Didn't Say It ...

Sandra Day O’Connor, former Supreme Court justice, saying President Obama should get to replace Scalia:

“I don’t agree [with Republicans] … We need somebody in there to do the job and just get on with it …. Well you just have to pick the best person you can under these circumstances, as the appointing authority must do. And it’s an important position and one we care about as a nation, as a people [and] I wish the president well as he makes choices and goes down that line — it’s hard.”

It’s only hard because of GOP obstructionism.
Dan Savage, on gay voters whining about Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders’ past marriage positions:

“It’s f**king moronic — it’s political malpractice — to attack a politician for not coming around on your issues fast enough. There are lots of other issues the queer community is going to be pressing politicians on, from passing equal rights bills and trans rights bills to defeating anti-trans bathroom legislation and RFRAs. If pols who on currently on the wrong side of any of those issues see no benefit to changing their positions — if they see no political benefit — they’re going to be harder to persuade. Why should they come around on our issues, why should they switch sides or change their votes, if we’re going to go after them hammer and tongs for the position they used to hold?"

Again … Word.
Pat McCrory, North Carolina's governor, vowing to block the recently passed anti-LGBT discrimination bill passed by the city of Charlotte:

“As I communicated and predicted prior to the vote, state legislative leaders have notified me about introducing legislation that would correct this misguided government regulation and ensure it will not happen in any town or city in North Carolina. I am disappointed and saddened Charlotte city government initiated overreaching regulations that change basic standards and expectations of privacy regarding restrooms and locker rooms.”

McCrory is playing that same old, tired, "we must protect the children" lie with his opposition to this bill.
It's hate-filled, and hateful.
Bill James, of the blog BillJamesOnline, on Donald [t]Rump and his base:

"I don’t think that Trump can win, frankly, because I don’t think there are enough morons to elect him. A certain percentage of the American public is just morons; that’s the way it is. When you divide the public in two and then divide the voters in one of those halves among five candidates or more, a candidate can win by dominating the moron vote because it only takes about one-seventh of the total population to take the 'lead' under those circumstances. But when you’re talking about needing 51% of the WHOLE population, rather than needing 30% of half of the population, you run out of morons."

It’s kinda nice to know that there aren’t so many morons out there, and that the ones that are there are just like [t]Rump: they have loud, moronic voices.
Joel Grey, on how his mother's reaction upon learning her sixteen-year-old son was gay, is why he didn't come out until he was eighty-two:

"When I told my mother [I was gay], I remember reaching out to her and she said, 'Don't ever touch me gain. You disgust me.' It was one of the worst moments of my life. Secrets became necessary."

And kept him closeted for the majority of his life.
Just think how much better it might have been had his mother simply said, “I love you. You’re my son.”

10 comments:

  1. I can't imagine anything sadder than what Joel Grey must have felt like at that moment. What a horrible thing for a mother to do to a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. parents say shitty things to their kids all the time (ask me how I know this).

    the best revenge (for joel) was to come out; the best revenge (for me) was to get help and prove to myself that I AM SOMEBODY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel Grey's story makes me very sad. How awful the way his mother responded. I can only imagine how much pain and grief it caused. I have two daughters and I love them from head to toe and inside out; wholly, unconditionally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word.

    The fear of rejection. Grey nails it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of all the unnecessary closed minded political crap going on, Joel's story demonstrates the vile nature of inhumanity the most. I must remember that even the simplest word or expression to a child can affect their growing self worth thus ever reminding me to act and choose words carefully to build a younger persons self.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow my brain linked the tragic Joel Grey story with the Republican Party's plea for votes. Even my Republican mother is coming to the point of saying to her party, "Don't ever touch me again. You disgust me."

    Something, incidentally, that conservative evangelical Christian woman NEVER said to me when I came out to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Want to hug Joel Grey. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. My chest actually hurts thinking of Joel Grey being raised by such a cold-hearted woman. How can a mother wound her own son in such a way, let alone a woman wounding another human being?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for collecting all this, as you always do. Joel Grey's experience was and is sadly so common. It makes me crazy when people post these tries saying about mothers on Facebook. Not ALL mothers love unconditionally. I'm glad he and so many others survived their mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would give the world to hug my daughter just once more and count it a price well worth paying. How any mother could turn away from their child is beyond my understanding

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......