Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Architecture Wednesday: The Origami House

I dubbed this one the origami House because that’s what it looks like to me, but the architect calls it “Hwa Hun,” which, in Korean, means “Blooming House.”

The home is located in the heart of Seoul, near the Bukhansan Mountain, and since the shape of the plot of land is an irregular polyhedron the architect decided that should be the shape of the house as well.

In order to satisfy the owner’s requirement for “living in nature,” and to maximize the area of green garden, all the exterior spaces of this house are covered with green plants as well. There are various leveled gardens, a forecourt garden, an inner court garden, a stair garden, a waterfall garden, and a roof garden.

And all of the “skins” of the house, except the road–side skins, are covered with green plants and fruit trees to create a sort of “architectural flower.”

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and some of the wonky walls and windows might be hard to handle, but it looks like a living sculpture on an urban hillside; a little garden in the midst of the city.

5 comments:

  1. While I can appreciate the out of box thinking and creativity and the thoughts behind the house, this is way to modern for my liking. It would be like the Dowager Countess living there. Neat to see though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I expecting to see Pauley Shore and the lesser lesser lesser Baldwin brother and the credits for 'Biodome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loves the garden stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:02 AM

    I like it (especially the roof) but if I stayed there I'd permanently have a pair of Ray-bans on.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised at how much I ended up liking this after my negative reaction to the first shot. It's a shame they didn't think it of value to add some landscaping to the exterior as well.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......