Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Iowa?!? WTF?!?

I used to have such high hopes for Iowa, and Iowans. They seemed to be free-thinking, equality-minded, live and let live kind of people.

When marriage equality became the law of Iowa, most Iowans just shrugged and went back to work. And when people, and by people I mean the GOP, who have nothing better to do than work to discriminate against the LGBT community, got all hot'n'bothered about same-sex marriage, the majority of Iowans asked their politicians to give it up. They were more concerned about war and money and jobs, and less concerned that John married Joe, or Jane got hitched to Helen.

Like I said, I had high hopes.

But then they elected people who seek to overturn equality, and remove judges from the bench who interpret laws in ways they don't see fit, and I began to wonder about my Iowans.

And now this:

It seems that nearly half of Iowan Republicans believe President Obama was not born in the United States. Seriously. Once their heads were screwed on straight, and now they're all askew.

Some 48% of registered Republican voters said Obama was not born in the U.S., while 26% say he is an American. Even more scary is the 26% who say they are unsure. Unsure? Seriously?

Let me set this queer for you Iowans. The people, and by people I mean Birther wingnuts and GOP goosesteppers who sidestep the issue, who don't think Obama was born in this country think so simply because of the color of his skin. I mean, black people becoming president! 

Or, they think because his name is Barack that he isn't from "here". I mean, if his name was George or Bill, we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?

Say what you will, you Birther wingnuts, but you are riding this one-trick pony out of racism and fear and ignorance. Neither the color of a man's skin, nor his name alone, makes a man unAmerican.

And Iowans should know better. Or, at least, I thought they did.

And maybe now, since Obama has released his birth certificate AGAIN, we can focus on real issues.

source

2 comments:

  1. I blame the birthers for the higher bar I have to jump over to prove my citizenship. sigh....

    Three steps forward, one step back, still going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo Bob! Racism, fear,and ignorance are their best friends in the world. End of story.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......