Thursday, January 01, 2009

A New Day


What a peaceful way to start a new year.
Last night it was just Carlos and me, in front of the TV watching my girlfriend, Kathy Griffin, and my boyfriend, Anderson Cooper, ring in the New Year. Kathy has such a way with words, and seems to thrive on making Anderson blush, that every time someone said anything about a ball dropping, I wasn't sure where she would go with that.
But she did get off a good line to a heckler, just as they were going to commercial. You could hear her saying to someone in the crowd, "C'mon, I'm working here. Do I come down to where you work and knock the dick out of your mouth."
Love Kathy.
So, it was a quiet night in our neck of the Smallville Woods. But then today we went to a nice New Year's Day lunch at Neal and David's--the other gay couple in our little neighborhood. There are about twenty houses around here, and two are gay-owned; ten-percent. We are quite the accurate statistic.
But lunch was nice. Lots of gay couple and a couple of straight women. For such a small town I am always amazed at the number of openly gay couples. I mean, if it can be like this in Smallville, then there is hope for the rest of the world. And the gay boys do know how to throw a soiree. Lots of witty repartee and crass jokes; double- and triple-entendre; recipe exchanges. We were also there to celebrate the 80th birthday of Mattischka aka Matt, one of the funniest old southern queens, of the male or female variety, I've ever met. I want to sit down with him one day and just tape record his stories, because that's a life worth remembering. Not to mention all the food Neal and David put out.
There was all sorts of cocktails and a delicious champagne punch; two kinds of Sweet Potato casseroles--one looked like a pecan pie, and the other had the traditional marshmallows. Carlos brought his famous Pumpkin Cheesecake, and there was Fruitcake--no homo jokes needed--and candies and cheeses and .....and......and. There was ham, and parsley rice; Hoppin' John and collards--for luck in the new year....I'd read at David Dust that up north they do pork and sauerkraut. Down here it's collards and black-eyed peas. I think in California, where I grew up it was Bean Sprouts and Tofu, and in Miami it was Cuban sandwiches and Mojitos. So every place is different.
Anyhow, however you bring yourself luck in the new year, I am looking forward to a Fine Oh-Nine, and wish the same to you!

3 comments:

  1. Mother makes sweet potatoes that way with pecans and brown sugar and other stuff on top. I prefer it that way instead of with marshmallows. I went over there today and had pork loin, black-eyed peas, turnip greens, hashbrown potato casserole, and cornbread. Yummy!

    Yes, that's a good sign about the gay couples. Maybe because I'm not a gay man, I just don't like Kathy Griffin that much. She's not that funny to me. Yes, about Anderson Cooper, though.

    Happy New Year to you, too! I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked for the pair on TV...didn't find them as I was of course looking on major networks...so I gave up and didn't watch. guess I should have been on CNN...dumb me. what a great line you caught though.
    The dinner with couples sounds great. If i come back in another life as gay, I hope we have advanced to gay families where folks like Matt are household members like many grandparents living in with family or considered a part of a gay family...even complete with the adopted kids or kids gotten however.( oh I forgot, we are all pedophiles and incestuous and Jeeeeeeeezus will cast us out)
    anyway, I really enjoyed the warmth in this post. thanks Bog
    xoxoxcharlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! All my best to you in 2009.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......