Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Video Killed His Mom


Okay, so I don't play video games. Let's say that right up front. I don't get it. I could think of many other things, many, that I'd rather be doing than sitting in front of a TV twiddling my thumbs to play a pretend game.
Like maybe playing a real game.
Reading is fun.
Go outside!
And of all the video games, I have never understood the violent ones; where you get points for stealing, and beating people up, and robbing people.
Killing people.
Last time I checked, those pastimes weren't a game. I think they're illegal.
Yup.
Illegal. So this frightened me.

Ohio Teen Killed Mom Over Video Game
By M.R. KROPKO, AP
ELYRIA, Ohio (Jan. 13) - Although a teenager's obsession with a violent video game may have warped his sense of reality, the boy is guilty of murdering his mother and wounding his father after they took "Halo 3" away from him, a judge ruled Monday.
"I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents they would be dead forever," Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge said.
Nonetheless, Burge rejected the defense attorneys' argument that Petric, 17, was not guilty by reason of insanity.
The defense didn't contest that Petric shot his parents in October 2007 after they took the game away from him, but insisted that the teen's youth and addiction made him less responsible.
Petric may have been addicted, but the evidence also showed he planned the crime for weeks, said Burge, who found the teenager guilty of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and other charges.
Tried as an adult, Petric faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole. The judge didn't set a sentencing date.
The teen's mother, Susan Petric, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head. Her husband, Mark Petric, a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, also was shot in the head but survived.
After the verdict was announced, Petric turned to look at his father seated behind him in the courtroom. Mark Petric, who previously said he has forgiven his son, gave an encouraging nod.
Mark Petric and other relatives left the court without comment.
Prosecutors said Petric planned to kill his parents because he was angry that his father would not allow him to play the video game, in which players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.
On the night of the shooting, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9 mm handgun and the game.
Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you." He testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.
Deputy prosecuting attorney Anthony Cillo argued during the trial that the teenager had planned to make it appear to be a murder-suicide by putting the gun in his father's hand.
Defense Attorney James Kersey said that when the teenager fled the grisly scene, he only took one item with him: the "Halo 3" game.
Bungie LLC, once part of Microsoft, developed the Xbox 360-exclusive Halo 3, and Microsoft owns the game's intellectual property. Microsoft declined to comment beyond a statement: "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."
____________________________

Several things are jarring.
A seventeen-year-old video game playing murderer didn't think his parents would be "gone forever" if he killed them. Is that because in his games he plays, although he can shoot and kill people, they all live to play another day? Or is it because he's a murderer looking for his own "Dan White Twinkie Defense?"
I mean, "I have a surprise for you?"

Bang.
You're dead.
Let's play again.

So I don't know if playing these kinds of violent games warped this boy's thinking, because, let's face it, he's warped. He's almost an adult, but he's warped. But if the game made him do it, then why the planning of the crime? He didn't snap and tear through the house looking for the gun. He calmly unlocked a box, got the gun and went into his parent's room.
Surprise.

But, I don't think this game made this boy kill his parents, although it sounds violent. And before anyone raises the old 'you played cops'n'robbers' as a kid, yes, I did. But it wasn't graphic; no blood spurted from the chest of the kid next door; it was all imagination; all of it. Video games take away the imagination and put it all right in your face. Guns. Blood. Death.
Cha-ching. Play again.

So, no, I don't think the game made him crazy so that he killed his Mom and Dad. I think they are other things going on here, and everywhere.
I mean, where were his parents when he was playing the game all those months? I wonder about parents who aren't regulating what their kids do. Why are they buying him a game like that? And if they didn't buy it, why did they let him bring it in their house?
Pay attention.

I was reading today, over at Charlie's, BerryBlog, about parents and their kids at school. How the parents pull their kids from school for long weekends, but really can't be bothered to take an interest in the child's education.
If you have children, be a parent. I know it's hard. But try. Watch what they're reading, if they even read these days. See what games they play on the computer; what games they like; find out about your kids....who are their friends....what do they do. Pay attention to what they say and do and watch on TV and how they act.
And if they're playing some kind of game where it's okay to kill people, graphically, where you get 'points' for slaughtering aliens or prostitutes or whomever, where death is an illusion, because the dead come back the next time the game is played, then take a moment to think about how that affects them.
You could be saving their lives.
Or yours.

6 comments:

  1. I used to manage a toy store. I was stunned at the number of parents that would walk in drop their kids off and leave so they could go about their lives.

    I will take it one step further and age myself. I rember when Nintendo came out and the way parents were fighting over them in my store. I said to my head cashier at the time that the only reason these parents want this is so they can sit the kid in front of the tv and not have to pay attention to them.

    We have a lost generations and the oarents are the ones responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Dan, I agree with you.
    My parents parented their children.
    I get the feeling that today's parents--not all, but many--view children as an accessory.
    Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gimmie an effin break. the brat is 17 and he KNEW what he was doing when he went and got the gun and said, "Close your eyes, I have a surprise for you." people want to blame thier lack of parenting on all kinds of things.....look, I got my kid Grnad Theft Auto for Christmas...he aint killing me in the middle of the night. I PARENT my children...I don't shove them in front of the tv or video game and go get drunk or whatever....

    If you're going to take the time to HAVE a kid then you need to PARENT that child.

    sheesh...

    I'm sure the economy is in the toilet cuz of video games too....

    and kids ARE anaccessory these days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the exception to the rule I think, Beth; because you do parent your children, and don't use TV/videos/x-boxes as a babysitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole scenario makes me sick. The jury shouldn't have fallen for that defense. What he did was not defensible. He knew what he was doing.

    I don't like those games and wish they were outlawed. I do think it desensitizes kids to violence, but that's another rant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for picking up on this.Most of our teachers keep an eye out for the games that get passed rapidly through the student population on system provided computers Generally we have not allowed game playing in school, or cell phones or texting. we don't get much support from parents on this- and they themselves call their kids in school or text them all day long. OUr policy: if you need to talk to your child, call the office and we'll get them to come to the phone. And with other technology, it is simply impossible to damn up the river.
    -Charlie

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......