Monday, January 12, 2009

Intelligent Is As Intelligent Does


I just love Tom Hanks. He seems like such a "regular guy," whatever that means. I mean this is a guy who went from Bosom Buddies--really funny, especially watching it now--on TV to Bachelor Party--funny, slightly although I tend to think of it as a big plate of cheese--to Philadelphia--gut wrenching and beautiful--to Forest Gump, Punchline, Nothing in Common--not well-known but one of my favorites--Cast Away--I mean, c'mon, he talked to a ball for an hour and you bought it--The DaVinci Code, Charlie Wilson's War, Apollo 13, Catch Me If You Can, Saving Private Ryan--this I haven't seen because I really, seriously, don't like war movies....I guess my anti-war stance extends to cinema--Road to Perdition, The Green Mile--good book, great movie--with stops at Cars and Toy Story.

And when asked to speak, when asked a question, he gives simple honest answers; no politically correct posturing, just his opinion, which is refreshing in this day of thinking and surveying and testing the waters before you speak.

Ted Casablanca of E News asked Hanks about Prop H8::

"It's un-American," Tom Hanks, who nabbed a Globe for producing the terribly popular John Adams, told me. I asked Hanks, one of the Biz's most politically astute members, why he thought the gay-marriage-banning proposition had passed, helped largely by huge sums of media money funneled through the pro-Prop 8 Mormon church.
"You put some good commercials on the air," deadpanned (accurately) the two-time Oscar winner, "you can convince anybody of anything."
Hanks was adamant that the Prop should be overturned by the California Supreme Court and that folks should be able to marry who they wish. "Love is love," he twinkled with a knowing fire. Amen, bro.


Then Casablanca asked Laura Dern what she wished for Sarah Palin, and Dern said this:

"I wish much happiness for Sarah Palin and her family," Dern professed with a killer half smile, which she obviously perfected playing the not-so-genuine Harris. "In Alaska."

2 comments:

  1. I admire Tom Hanks for his honesty, and his talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Dern's cavaot "In Alaska"!!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......