Friday, July 16, 2010

PR News: Meet the Cast


from LifeTime--television for women and gay men:

When Project Runway returns with its new 90-minute show, Heidi Klum and company will welcome another celebrity guest judge. Actress Selma Blair will join the ranks of Eva Longoria Parker, Lindsay Lohan, Christina Aguilera, Nicole Richie and Faith Hill, who had the honor of guest judging last season’s finale. "We’ve been wanting to have Selma Blair on Project Runway for a while,” executive producer Jane Cha says. “She is so chic and has great individual style.” And Blair will help make a crucial decision for the show. With 17 designers, instead of the typical 16, the first challenge of season 8 will serve as the final part of the show’s audition process. Contestants will have five hours to design a garment, using a signature piece from a competitor’s luggage. “[Blair] ended up being a perfect guest judge for our first challenge — super knowledgeable about fashion and the show, because she’s a fan,” Cha continues. “She had some hilarious observations, including a comparison to Romy and Michelle shopping buddies!” Project Runway‘s new season kicks off July 29 at a new time (9 p.m. EST) on Lifetime.

And here are the designers, their stats, and my completely unbiased opinion of their chances:
A.J. Thouvenot
Age: 26
Hometown: St. Louis, MO
Profession: Designer for TrashBiscuit
Favorite Designer: Heatherette, Jeremy Scott, John Galliano
Quote: I have a fresh and unique voice.
My assessment: Fresh and unique means we've seen it before, and before and before. Fresh and unique means Michael Kors will call you out for copying other designers and that Nina Garcia will have you for lunch.
Andy South
Age: 23
Hometown: Waipahu, HI
Profession: Freelance designer, and personal assistant to another designer.
Favorite Designer: Yohji Yamamoto, John Galliano
Quote: My strength? I sew like I'm in a sweatshop.
My assessment: If Heidi wanted a seamstress, Andy, honey, it would be called Project Seamstress and the hostess would be a sixty-five-year-old grandmother from Akron.
April Johnston
Age: 21
Hometown: Savannah, GA
Profession: Just graduated from college
Favorite Designer: Alexander McQueen, John Galliano
Quote: I can illustrate a beautiful sketch and bring it to life as a garment.
My Assessment: Girl can draw, but I'm not so sure girl can sew. I say she become fast friends with Seamstress Andy if she wants to stay in the show.
Casanova
Age: 33
Hometown: Astoria, NY
Profession: Fashion designer
Favorite Designer: John Galliano
Quote: Fashion must be considered one of the more important mass media.
My Assessment: First off: the name. Really? Casanova? Second off, you look to be this year's Santino, and we don't need another Santino.
Christopher Collins
Age: 30
Hometown: San Francisco , CA
Profession: Fashion designer
Favorite Designer: Dior and Lanvin
Quote: I always design something beautiful and wearable, yet dreamy.
My Assessment: Just on the basis of looks alone, because I'm shallow like that, I think Chris will be the sweet gay one. Plus, he is kinda dreamy. I know! That's all I got, but he started it.
Gretchen Jones
Age: 28
Hometown: Portland, OR
Profession: Designer/director of MothLove
Favorite Designer: Vena Cava, Halston, Rachel Comey, Chloe, Isabel Marant, Vanessa Bruno
Quote: I have a strong and realistic sense of style and can relate that from the runway.
My Assessment: And there we have it: our first quote from the Handbook Of Generic Quotes For Reality Show Players. Next up, "I'm not in it to make friends."
Ivy Higa
Age: 30
Hometown: New York, NY
Profession: Fashion designer
Favorite Designer: Marc Jacobs, Consuelo Castiglioni, Stella McCartney, Issey Miyake
Quote: I know the details of finishing a garment impeccably.
My assessment: She will be one of those designers who relies on glue guns and staples and spit to send a finished garment onto the catwalk. I'm sensing clothes falling apart and Ivy looking mortified.
Jason Troisi
Age: 33
Hometown: Greenwich, CT
Profession: Landscape designer (glorified lawn cutter)
Favorite Designer: Can I say myself?
Quote: I am very creative and a little nutty.
My Assessment: He's a little fond of himself, but I like that he said he's nutty. I mean, he's a landscaper! But that should help in the obligatory, plant/flower challenge. But, I like that he's got a little Malcolm-MacDowell-A-Clockwork-Orange vibe going on.
Kristin Haskins Simms
Age: 39
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Profession: Apparel designer, freelance graphic designer and adjunct professor in graphic design
Favorite Designer: Ann Demeuelemeester
Quote: I have no high expectations, just to take one challenge at a time.
My Assessment: With no expectations, I expect that Miss Simms won't ever truly unpack her bag.
McKell Maddox
Age: 29
Hometown: Layton, UT
Profession: Fashion designer
Favorite Designer: Coco Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier
Quote: My strength is my passion for designing and seeing the finished product.
My Assessment: Gee honey, you have strength and passion in design and you like to finish your work? Wow, who knew? I see Middle-Of-The-Road in your future.
Michael Costello
Age: 27
Hometown: Palm Springs, CA
Profession: Fashion designer
Favorite Designer: Elie Saab, Tom Ford, Valentino, Donatella Versace, Basil Soda
Quote: I've auditioned three times before, and decided that it was worth one more shot.
My Assessment: Michael? Have you heard the expression "Third time's the charm"? Because, well, you've already had the third time and it wasn't so charming.
Michael Drummond
Age: 31
Hometown: St. Louis, MO
Profession: Knitwear designer/freelance stylist
Favorite Designer: Issey Miyake, Alexander McQueen (R.I.P.), and Viktor & Rolf
Quote: I'm primarily a knitwear designer, so working with wovens presents a challenge.
My Assessment: I see lots of knitwear in his future and lots of Nina begging, begging, BEGGING, to see something different. And, by different, I don't mean the hat, the scarf and the guyliner.
Mondo Guerra
Age: 32
Hometown: Denver, CO
Profession: Freelance designer
Favorite Designer: Paco Rabanne, Schiaparelli, Marc Jacobs, Karl Lagerfeld, Edith Head
Quote: My clothes are gangbusters.
My Assessment: Yeah, the outfit you're wearing and the fact that you include Edith Head as one of your favorite designers just screams gangbusters.
Nicholas D'Aurizio
Age: 32
Hometown: New York, NY
Profession: Handbag designer
Favorite Designer: Yeohlee, Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Dolce and Gabbana, Prada
Quote: I think outside the box and come up with unique wearable concepts.
My Assessment: Nicky is this year's Ping. And, I'm getting a little of that Asian guy from Bravo's The Fashion Show who always complained that no one understood his "concepts".
Peach Carr
Age: 50
Hometown: Lake Forest, IL
Profession: Freelance designer
Favorite Designer: Valentino, McQueen and Balenciaga
Quote: I am talented, fast on my feet and have waited a long time for this.
My Assessment: Just because you've been around the block doesn't mean you're any good. And where oh where do they get these older designers with these names? Peach? Didn't we have a Peach a couple of years back? Or was it Pebbles? Polka? Polka Dot?
Sarah Trost
Age: 27
Hometown: Toluca Lake, CA
Profession: Costume designer
Favorite Designer: Adrian, Nudie Cohn, Bill Belew, Gaultier, Schiaparelli, old-school Dior
Quote: I love shape. I wish all models would gain 30 pounds.
My Assessment: Sarah will die mysteriously during the first episode, and all of the models will be suspects, creating a new show for LifeTime: Murder On The Catwalk: Designed To Death.
Valerie Mayen
Age: 29
Hometown: Cleveland, OH
Profession: Fashion designer, educator, illustrator
Favorite Designer: Rudi Gernreich, Stefano Pilati, Leanne Marshall
Quote: I think I have a really good shot at winning because I'm going to work my tail off.
My Assessment: Oh, Honey, that's so cute. Work hard and you'll win. That's so sweet. Buh-bye.

4 comments:

  1. So much fodder, so little time. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Great post!! Another season is almost upon us! Love your assessments. And I totally agree about Christopher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! i so can't wait for the new season! i love this show, it has been the only show that i watch season after season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched some of the videos on the PR web site last night and I really think Andy is this year's Anthony in the personality department.

    Two more weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......