Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: Chingaza Lodge

This is described as a lodge, but it’s a modern lodge, a small lodge, sitting roughly 10,000 feet above sea level in the Chingaza Moor about an hour from Bogotá.

You can’t get much further away, I think; and you can’t get more simple, more modern, more green and closer to nature.  In order to foster interactions between nature and the inhabitants of the lodge, the house is comprised of two modules connected by a glass tunnel which, at first glance is designed to give you gorgeous views of the hummingbirds garden in the east and an open view to the San Rafael reservoir to the west, but is also used  to collect heat energy from the sun to warm the spaces … perfect for a lodge sitting in an area that can get down to zero degrees at night.

With an eye toward creating a space of reflection and honest materiality, pine wood slats wrap the entire area from floor, walls and ceiling, making the interior cozy and minimalist. A large-scale window in each module complements the wooden-based interior, that not only captures daily sunsets, but also welcomes the thermal energy produced by the sun to bring warmth and comfort to those very often cold nights at this altitude.

By contrast to the wooden interior, the exterior aims to be an austere body, clad in black metal, that blends in with the gray tones of the moor sky; better still, is night, when the lodge seems to disappear because of the black façade leaving only the large windows, wood and artificial lights creating the illusion of two floating lights on the side of the mountain.

Finally, the value of the project not only in the design and an understanding of the natural habitat in which is built, but also to foster diverse encounters between its human and non-human inhabitants; the garden of hummingbirds in in the center of the two spaces, a window that offers a sunset in the moorland landscape, a west window that frames the mountains of Chingaza.

It's all about the experience. The simple lines of the space and the beauty of the mountains and the sky all through the day. I don’t think I’d ever leave.

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

12 comments:

  1. I like many of the concepts and of course the texture. Love the black every where too. And not opposed to being able to walk around nude!!! As I get older, I like less. But I think this would for me be better suited for a glamping lodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the inside. It's welcoming and warm. Doesn't need red, either. The outside is depressing, however. Perfection is so hard to find. Maddie surprised me, though. I thought that this had too much wood for him to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at Bogotá.
    I love the idea of two living quarters separated. It's very Scandi but I like it. I love the exterior. It probably will get covered with a patina with time.
    The views are fantastic. All that green!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parts I like, parts I don't, it would be fun to visit, but not live there for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that green outside makes up for all that paneling inside. Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative designer and builder!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Love the exposed wood, and I'd like to be in that hallway during an intense thunderstorm. What a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it. It’s not a place for me, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be nice for a short get-away. But I definitely need more kitchen for my everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That walkway is cool, but...everything about his house screams MURDER! Dunno why. It does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Maddie
    It’s so simple and peaceful and serene, and I living for that.

    @Deedles
    I love the black exterior and the simple shape of it all, but I wouldn’t be mad at some splashes of color, even red!!

    @Six
    They had me at black exterior, simple one bedroom, and views!!
    xoxo

    @Travel
    It needs a better kitchen, but I could live there quite peacefully.

    @brewella
    The views are stunning, and I imagine they change almost daily, not to mention seasonally!

    @TDM
    It’s simple but cool.

    @Steve
    Oh wow, what a great thought to sit in that hallway in a storm. Now I love it even more!

    @Mitchell
    I do so love a black house and a smaller house and a house with a view and in the middle of nowhere so this is clicking a lot of boxes for me.

    @Sadie
    Yeah, the kitchen is kinda camp stove.

    @upton
    I wanna dig deeper into this Murder House theory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's kind of odd, but if I can have it for free, then yes, I'll take it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......