Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Is Alec Baldwin This Week's Paula Deen? Why I Think So

Alec Baldwin has a temper. I remember the video footage of him trying to break into a paparazzo’s van the day his daughter was born; banging on the windows and cursing up a blue streak. We all thought, ‘Good for you.’

Cut to a few years later when a phone conversation with Alec and his then-teenage daughter was leaked, and listening to him call her all sorts of nasty things was, to say the least, uncomfortable. And he’s ranted about airlines that tell him, he’s ALEC Baldwin, you know, to turn off his phone. So, so funny? Or not.

Now, Baldwin is in trouble again for Tweeting his ire at George Stark, a Daily Mail reporter, who wrote that Baldwin’s wife, Hilaria, was Tweeting while the couple attended the funeral of actor James Gandolfini last week. And Baldwin, not at all known for his restraint, said, “My wife wasn’t Tweeting throughout the funeral and that wasn’t nice of you to say so.”

Of course he didn’t say that. He took to Twitter where he Tweeted:
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin
I'm gonna find you, George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna fuck...you...up.
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin
If [sic] put my foot up your fucking ass, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin
My wife and I attend a funeral to pay our respects to an old friend, and some toxic Brit writes this fucking trash
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin I want all of my followers and beyond to straighten out this fucking little bitch, George Stark. @MailOnline
ABFoundation ABFalecbaldwin
George Stark, you lying little bitch. I am gonna f%#@ you up.
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin Someone wrote that my wife was tweeting at a funeral. Hey. That's not true. But I'm gonna tweet at your funeral.
ABFoundation @ABFalecbaldwin
My wife DID NOT use her phone, in any capacity, at our friends funeral. Now, fuck this twitter + good luck to all of you who know the truth
Then he deleted his Twitter account.

Now, is he the new Paula Deen? I’m going to say yes, because of his use of the word ‘queen’ and his suggestion of “f**king” him by shoving a foot in Stark’s ass, though he thinks Stark might like it.

Now, the word ‘queen’ might not sound offensive, in and of itself, but the idea of Baldwin suggesting that Stark might like something shoved up his ass, along with the term ‘queen’ is offensive to the gay community at large. Especially in New York City where, in recent weeks, we’ve seen a sharp rise in gay bashings and hate crimes, and the murder of one gay man, shot point blank in the face. 

Baldwin’s choice of words is not unfortunate, or a mistake, it’s disgusting and hurtful and harmful. But then he tries to explain it away and his apology, or lack thereof, and explanation, are as mind-numbingly idiotic as anything Deen has said of late:
"The idea of me calling this guy a 'queen' and that being something that people thought is homophobic...a queen to me has a different meaning. It's somebody who's just above. It doesn't have any necessarily sexual connotations.
To me a queen...I know women that act queeny, I know men that are straight that act queeny, and I know gay men that act queeny. It doesn't have to be a definite sexual connotation, or a homophobic connotation. To me those are people who think the rules don't apply to them.
This guy could blatantly lie, I mean blatantly lie about my wife on the internet and there are just no rules that apply to him, but that's outrageous to me....if what I said offended everybody, that obviously wasn't my intention.
I'm not interested in offending anyone. If homosexuality was an issue for me, I would have moved out of New York years ago. I find that laughable."
Not so fast, Alec. You might think the word ‘queen’ means what you say, but people hearing you say it, Tweet it, are not going to feel the same way. I have never heard that word said and not thought of a gay person—or, maybe, maybe, an actual queen—and adding to that your suggestion of violence toward the reporter is just as disgusting and offensive.

You used the word ‘queen’ as a put-down. You knew it was a put-down and, not being a stupid man by any stretch of the imagination, you had to know it would be perceived as an anti-gay put-down. So, save your apologies and try this: try removing that word from your vocabulary if the only way you know how to use it is as a derogatory name for someone who writes something about you that you don’t like.

It may not be the N-word, but I find your use of it, along with your threat of violence, to be upsetting, and disgusting, and very, very Paula Deen-like.

Baldwin also released this statement to GLAAD:
"I have worked, periodically, with numerous marriage equality organizations, especially over the past couple of years, to achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions.
I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia.
As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize. I have worked, periodically, with numerous marriage equality organizations, especially over the past couple of years, to achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions. I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia.
Many Thanks, Alec Baldwin." 
And do not get me started on that whole “I’ve worked for gay causes” bull. That smacks of “Some of my best friends are fill in the blank” or of Paula Deen’s “We treat the black folks like family.” You can still be a bigot, a racist, or a homophobe, in your heart, when you use the wrong word, and then try to mangle some sort of ‘Oh no I didn’t’ out of it.

As Andrew Sullivan said, on the topic of Baldwin and his word choices:
"This is not just hate speech; it’s a specific call for other people to physically attack a gay man. It’s a call to violence against a specific person, which, last time I checked, was a crime. He’s a pro-gay liberal, so he may get a pass for this. He shouldn’t."
No, he shouldn’t. He should do as I have suggested Paula Deen do, over and over again, say, “I’m sorry I was wrong.” And then shut up. But no, always the one to get in the last word, Baldwin responded to Andrew Sullivan:
"I don’t think it’s a call for violence against a specific person because they’re gay, it’s a call for violence against a person who lied about my wife."
Oh, I guess calling for violence against a person who lies is appropriate now.
At least he didn’t call Sullivan a ‘toxic queen’ so there might be hope for him yet.

Until someone else pisses him off.

Oh yeah, and before any gays out there start defending Alec Baldwin and his rotten choice of words, think about this: what if it was said to you? What if, after a snippy little altercation with someone, they said, I'm gonna find you, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna fuck...you...up. I'd put my foot up your fucking ass,  but I'm sure you'd dig it too much.

Not so nice now, eh?

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    I totally agree with you on this. Only I don't know what is more offensive... what Baldwin said, or GLAAD sweeping this under the rug because they don't want to offend him.

    I know what's in my wallet: No Capital Once credit cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Daily Mail (an unpleasant rag) printed something that was factually incorrect, as a very rich person, Mr Baldwin has recourse to the law (unlike the rest of us). Instead he chooses to incite people to violence. He uses homophobic phrases that are acceptable nowhere, as are suggestions that his followers should join him in physical attacks on a hack journo. Clearly Mr Baldwin is a not very nice, not very pleasant person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a very scary person.
    And I think he likes it.
    Does he have to live in LA and NYC?
    Zip in and out for work and then go.
    There are so many other places where he would not be a magnet or money maker for the hack press.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can no longer think that Alec Baldwin is funny or cute in his commercials and SNL appearances.
    He has degenerated into a nasty old man. It sorta makes you wonder what kind of father he can be for a new infant! Of course, given his curmudgeonly ways, Baldwin will probably not last that long with the young wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. he and his family are such ASSHATS! I tend to ignore them all.

    I too have no capital one credit cards - I told them to go to hell years ago due to their shitty business practices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you. Someone who has f'd up as much in the past as Alec Baldwin should have learned to apologize, shut up and disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:16 PM

    First I think he should be very care the next time he has his hair and makeup done and clothes picked out for his next photo op or red carpet event. You just know all those queens who work on him are gonna f*ck him up.

    Second, pressure must be felt by the places that hire him to make them money - NBC, SNL Capital One and more. If they fear backlash and loss of $$$ then they'll drop him. At least with Paula she told the truth UNDER oath otherwise would we have know? Oh, and she wasn't drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I (am female) and have called my other friends -both male and female- "queen". I have also called them divas. Perhaps it is just a difference in culture that it is acceptable where I live.

    I am in no way defending or condoning Queen Baldwin's choice of words. His past actions and words can be associated with someone who considers themselves above the rest of us mere commoners, so Queen would be quite fitting to him in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @FTHM
    I don't have an issue with the word queen, at all. I can be a big ole queen myself from time-to-time.

    I object to his use of the word in anger, as though, because this reporter pissed him off, to put him down, he's called a queen.

    Then you add in the violent aspect of Baldwin's rage, along with the not-so-vague homophobia, and I think, as a smart man, he could have chosen his words better.

    That said, thanks for stopping and commenting. =)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......