Monday, June 13, 2011

Some Thoughts On Tony


NPH should host everything. Seriously. I'm thinking of having him host next year's Cinco de Never party. I can only imagine the punchlines he'll utter about Carlos in a sarong--in case I forgot to mention it, Carlos wore a sarong at our de Never because one of the women was complimented on her skirt and he was not about to be out-done.

Sidenote: After this bit, Brooke Sheilds ought to think twice before commiting to a Broadway show. Just sayin'.

 
Who knew Harry Potter could dance? So many times these 'actors' take on a  Broadway musical, and when it comes to the dancing they just sort of move while the chorus boys and girls do all the heavy lifting. Not so with Daniel Radcliffe. He was all up in the choreography.

Frances MacDormand. Love her. But she seems a bit nutty both before and right after her speech. The speech itself was nice, but her march top the stage, and then her march off-stage, were just odd.

I must see 'The Book Of Mormon' and 'The Warhorse'. That's one thing I love about the Tony's is that it makes you want to see these amazing and funny shows.

Did anyone else's mind go to that naughty place when NPH and Hugh Jackman--and his Huge Ackman--were singing the line: 'But if baby, I'm the bottom, you're the top'? Mind did. And it was lovely.

As I was saying about the Tony's sort of being a long commercial for Broadway, with the musical performances, and glimpses into some of the plays, the song from 'Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark' didn't make me want to see that at all. I mean, if you're putting on a musical about Spiderman, and all the buzz is about Spidey flying in and out of the audience, and then on the Tony's you give me some nondescript, drab love song sung on a fire escape, well, color me not interested.

Martha Wash. 'It's Raining Men'. It was all I could do not to dance around my living room.

Anyways, I loved the show because I'm a big Broadway queen, and I love the fact that when gay men and women accept their awards, and thank their boyfriends, girlfriends, partners, or spouses, they don't get that 'Good For You For Being So Openly Gay' clap that they might get at the Emmys, Globes or Oscars. It's just no big deal. Its' accepted. it's normal.
Now that should transfer over to every day life.

6 comments:

  1. I was screaming at the TV last night for them to complete the Top/Bottom jokes they were setting up. What? Were they afraid someone might think they're gay???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You win Bob... and thanks for posting the other videos... I wasn't feeling good and fell asleep after the first couple of awards...

    Between NPH and Hugh.... That's where I would have wanted to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tony Awards have been above the rest in my book for a long time. It sucks that we can't see the whole thing it any longer. One of the drawbacks to not having cable or dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh--The Edge with his stupid beanie! He's GOTTA be straight with that lame, perpetual look. Neil Patrick Harris is one of the few celebrities I wish I was related to so we could hang out on holidays and other special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel turned it out!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......