Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Architecture Wednesday: Everything Old Is New Again

I think I'm Bi.

Not bisexual, oh, heavens no. And not bipolar, although.......I'm not really even bipartisan, though I sometimes thinks I should give that a thought. No, I am bi in that, not so unlike Sybil, or Eve with her Three Faces, there are sometimes two different personalities living inside me. At least, as it pertains to architecture and design.

See, I love a modern house, with minimalist features, clean lines, and no clutter. i loathe clutter. I don't have things I don't use or need, and try to live by the words of the Dalai Lama: To want the things I have, not have the things I want.

So, I like clean and simple. But then I like an old rustic house, an ornate Victorian, or a smushy bungalow--and smushy is a word because I just said it.

So, imagine my glee when I stumbled upon this modern home crafted out of an old mill in Provence, in the south of France. It's rustic and charming and crude and rocky and, well, modern, too. It completes me.
The mill was built in the 1800s, but was recently restored, transformed and reborn into a country house. It takes the best of the old, the concrete floors, the roughhewn timber framing, natural stone walls and great high ceilings, and combines it with sleek modern touches, like the windows and the furnishings, and the kitchen.

It also takes that new must have, the open concept living area into consideration, turning the main portion of the old mill into the living room, dining room, kitchen and a study. It takes the old of the mill and mashes it with the feel of a loft; it's  a classic home, with modern touches. 

It's the best of both worlds. It's a bi-house.

Bi, like me. So, enjoy....and if I ever win the Lottery and you ever get to the south of France, look me up.
 
Minimalist study, though it could use a big compy chair, or chaise.

Simply elegant.

I love the curving row of windows.

It's Bohemian. It's Rustic. It's Modern.
It's BoRuMo.

I love the dark grey walls and the old doors.

"Carlos! Scrub my back please?"



source

6 comments:

  1. beautiful home. love the elegant windmill concept.

    our place is a clutter free zone also...my partner is in retail so our entire home is merchandised. He's a chronic cleaner, is always after me getting the stove dirty and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a bit on the rustic side for my tastes Bob, but it is quite the beauty. I do think I could take out just a few things and feel right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, the pictures make it look so fresh and clean. I really love the old school bath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it. Makes me wish I could recreate that on The Sims 2 but I can't do the exterior arches like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, french fries. You know how they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I would work in pops of color, because it's what I like. I'm also thinking my collection of African masks would work so well in each space.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......