Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Lake House

This one is giving me James Bond, which I will always take. This sculptural lake house on Lake Geneva, Switzerland was, believe it or not,  built as a family home, and not a rapper’s crib.

I love the angles of the house itself—it’s a triangle—in the walls and windows, with sharp angles and soft curves and lots of glass. But the basic triangular shape of the home was dictated by strict planning parameters and prohibitions which made the house literally take shape. The response was to carve shapes from the triangular footprint of the site and then create a sculptural design of round‐edged cubes and triangular masses.

A double-volume living area, with a curved glass wall facing the lake, flows into the dining area and kitchen on the ground floor while the bedrooms and en-suites are located on the top level, accessed by both a spiral staircase and a circular glass-encased elevator.

As I said, Bond, James Bond … with a view …Expansive windows help to blur the indoor-outdoor boundaries while framing sweeping views of picturesque Lake Geneva.


As always, click to emBIGGERATE ...

OneKindDesign

10 comments:

  1. Loverly views.
    My two favorite houses we lived
    in, as a child, were built in
    the 1920s...
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of the windows. I'm trying to come to terms with stainless steel appliances and that big trough-like bathtub. Nope, don't like 'em. I'm probably just tired of house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are things about this I absolutely love. The angles. The glass. The views. But it's got the feel of a hotel lobby to me. I assume they regularly host parties for their 800 closest friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the windows. What an amazing home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now surprisingly....I LOVE THIS!!!! Feels chic and modern while still giving me that retro vibe I so love. But I am loving the play of textures, from woods, plaster and even metals in places. And that galley kitchen is spectacular.

    Im ready to be a Bond villainess. Just called me Delia Hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that someone had enough money and allowed him to build this. A cold monster, but interesting. It offers all the comfort of a modern hotel lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When can I move in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @TDM
    That view is everything.

    @Deedls
    I like all the glass because of that view!!

    @Mitchell
    That living room would hold everyone in my town!

    @JP
    I do get high-end Post Office from the outside, but, yeah, the windows and the views!

    @MM
    That house is made for Delia Hand!

    @uptonking
    It's warmed up by the wood walls and such, but, yeah, it does have a commercial feel to it.

    @Travel
    I think it's move in ready!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa.
    Luxury. Comfort. And those views!
    I cannot imagine how much this would cost, though. That's a stunning house. Very James Bond, indeed.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had friends (former) in Palm Springs who had a beautiful 3,600sf Spanish-style ranch home. They decided it just wasn't “functional,” so sold it and bought a 8,000sf ranch home. The LR was so big and they didn't know what they were doing. They put in multiple separate sitting areas and it truly looked like a hotel lobby. Then, they complained that it was so big they couldn't find each other. And the one who had a foot problem that made it difficult for her to walk a lot decided they needed walkie talkies. And that's how they communicated. I DID mention intercom systems but that was enough for us. Too much money and no sense.

    This house at least has spectacular views and great style.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......