Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tyler Glenn Comes Out

Tyler Glenn, the lead singer of Neon Trees, has come out as gay.
"I've always felt like I'm an open book, and yet obviously I haven't been completely."
Glenn says he's known he was gay since he was a young child, but kept his sexuality a secret until now because he is Mormon, and his faith’s belief that homosexuality is wrong, and can lead to excommunication from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he stayed closeted.
"I had my crushes on guys throughout high school, but it was never an overwhelming thing until my twenties. Then I'd be dating girls and in love with my straight friend and it was the worst feeling in the world.”
But, after realizing he was gay, and seeing how his own church spent some $22 million fighting same-sex marriage in California in 2008, he realized he needed to accept himself. It took a while, to be fair, but it’s a process, specially thinking your own family might disown you simply for being gay, but as more and more people come out, especially those sports stars and professional athletes, Glenn became inspired:
"I really love all of the sports figures that are coming out recently. I appreciated Michael Sam was like, 'I want to be able to go to the movies and hold hands with my boyfriend.' Even hearing him say 'boyfriend,' I was just like, that's cool."
In 2013, after coming out to friends and family, he began writing new music for Neon Trees’ newest album, Pop Psychology, many of which address his years in the closet. And now he might just be inspiring other young gay men and women, especially Mormon church members who are gay and closeted, to come out.

Welcome out, Tyler, and as out gift to you from HOMO HQ, please accept the Official Coming Out Toaster Oven as well as your own copy of The Gay Agenda.

Welcome out, Tyler, welcome out.

5 comments:

  1. Refreshing. Wishing him many years of happiness with his new OCO Toaster Oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:30 PM

    Good for him and good for the community but I was surprised he HADN"T come out. When I saw and then posted their first hit (and excellent album) I was amazed that VH1 had put such a campy, gayist-thing-you'll-see-this-week video on and that it later made the top 10 or even 5.

    I mean the guy makes Johnny Weir look butch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:04 PM

    my question to tyler is if he will continue to be a mormon. if so, he's required to give part of his income to the church, and i won't stand for that. it's the same reason i cut brandon flowers and the killers out of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:42 AM

    KEVolution! said...my question to tyler is if he will continue to be a mormon. if so, he's required to give part of his income to the church, and i won't stand for that. it's the same reason i cut brandon flowers and the killers out of my life.

    But it's just the Mormons who are intolerant, right? Cut the dude some slack. Do you think he chooses to be gay? Of course you don't. But you somehow think he chooses what he believes. Come on bro. It must be awesome living in your simple black and white world. I'll bet this is a very complex issue for Tyler. Can't you just support him and others like him? Or do you want gay Mormons to have nowhere to go? Yeah, they might as well be ostracized on both sides and kill themselves, right? I mean unless you're actually so thick that you think we can just change what we believe.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......