Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Architecture Wednesday: The Stone House

This one makes me want to sit in the gardens all day, before "winding" my way inside.
Winding.My.Way. Get it?
This torus-shaped stone house is located in a quiet residential quarter on the way to Ha Long Bay from Hanoi. A rising green roof and walls composed of subdued color stones in dark blue create a landscape, which stands out quite nicely in the neighborhood.
All the rooms surround an oval courtyard, creating a colony-like relationship with each other. Circulating flow runs around the courtyard and continues to the green roof, connecting all rooms in the house. This courtyard and green roof compose a sequential garden, which creates a rich relationship between inside and outside of the house. 
To create a wall with smooth curvature, cubic stones, four inches thick, are carefully stacked. Consequently, the wall performs the play of light and shadow. Massive and meticulous texture of the wall generates a cave-like space, which recalls the image of a primitive house.
To me it's perfectly peaceful. Perfectly natural.

source

2 comments:

  1. I think you should buy it for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:20 AM

    I think I saw this home on an HGTV show awhile back. It's a great house!

    My CAPCHA word for this comment is Stexytu. It's like Blogger After Dark!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......