Thursday, September 13, 2012

Random Musings

So, Tuesday was the 11th anniversary of 9/11 and most news channels took time out at 8:46 AM for a moment of silence.
Well, all except maybe one. NBC thought 8:46 AM was the time to have media-whore Kris Jenner come on and discuss her breasts.

NBC.
No. Body. Cares.

Apparently Clint Eastwood has stepped away from the chair and is speaking to actual people now. And, trying to spin his disastrous RNC gig into, well, something:
“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people. Romney and Ryan would do a much better job running the country, and that’s what everybody needs to know. I may have irritated a lot of the lefties, but I was aiming for people in the middle.”
Eastwood, who unlike the men he says are best for the country, supports marriage equality, is pro-choice, and says he decided about 15 minutes before the show ti sue the chair:
“There was a stool there, and some fella kept asking me if I wanted to sit down. When I saw the stool sitting there, it gave me the idea. I’ll just put the stool out there and I’ll talk to Mr. Obama and ask him why he didn’t keep all of the promises he made to everybody.”
Eastwood said he wasn't vetted because he didn't know what he was going to say: 
“It was supposed to be a contrast with all the scripted speeches, because I’m Joe Citizen. I’m a movie maker, but I have the same feelings as the average guy out there.”
Except for the two men he was there to support.

Oh, when will Mama Grizzly Bore [MGB™] ever learn?
That was a rhetorical question.
See, the dingbat was on FOX Business Network right after Senator John Kerry mentioned her in his DNC speech and she said: 
"I think he diminished himself by even mentioning my name. How does he even know my name? I mean, aren't these guys supposed to be these bigwig elites who don't waste their time on the little people like me? Me representing the average American?"
Yes, average little MGB™, who was speaking to Fox from the television studio she had built into her private home so she wouldn't have to leave Alaska to share her special brand of batshittery with us.
She apparently has forgotten, and I wish I could join her in this, that she ran for Vice president just four years ago.
Poor little MGB™.

Now, we'll segue from dumb, to dumber:
We've seen both conventions, and heard all the reviews and the rants and raves, but one person waited until the whole shebang was over before deciding to offer her two-cents.
Ladies and Gentleladies, I give you Lindsay Lohan, and her response to this Obama Tweet:

Barack Obama

“I’ve cut taxes for those who need it: middle-class families, small businesses.”—President Obama


Lindsay Lohan

we also need to cut them for those that are listed on Forbes as "millionaires" if they are not, you must consider that as well

As usual, it's hard to figure out what Lohan is trying to say, what with the haze from the booze and ciggies, but it appears she wants Obama to give tax breaks to people that Forbes magazine calls "millionaires" who aren't really "millionaires".
Lindsay Lohan, the gift that keeps on giving. like an STD.


And speaking of STD's let's talk a little Pat Robertson.
On The 700 Club, Pat likes to play a little Dear Abby and respond to letters sent in from people who are too moronic to think for themselves. Like the guy who complained that his wife was mean to him and, at times, actually hit him.
Pat, ever the Christian man, responded thusly:
“Well, you could become a Muslim and you could beat her. This man’s got to stand up to her and he can’t let her get away with this stuff. I don’t think we condone wife-beating these days but something has got to be done [and since] he can’t divorce her according to the Scripture, so I say: move to Saudi Arabia.”
Someone needs a long nap.
Pat.


So, at last weeks DNC the first choice was for Obama to give his acceptance speech outside, as he'd done four years ago. But the weather forecast rain on that day, so that idea was scrapped.
Not good, because the stadium where the event was to be held could accommodate 75,000 people, while inside the Time Warner Cable Arena, just 20,000 could have seats. So, yeah, 55,000 were told they couldn't attend the speech. I'd be upset. I'd be hurt. But, as an adult, with an, at times, rational mind, I'd understand.
Not so is one Vickey Price, who said this:
"I'm so mad at this point that I don't want to do anything. It made me want to rethink my vote just because I was told one thing, and I get here, and there's something else. To me, don't do that to the American people, who will do their best to put you in office. You just have to be careful when you disappoint such a huge crowd."
Oh, Vickey. i feel your pain. The president chose not to speak outside in a thunderstorm and you're gonna change your vote?
Go home. Sit down. And think about how dumb you sound.


So, there were riots in the Middle East yesterday, some of which were in response to a "film" that depicted the Prophet Muhammed as a "womanizing, homosexual pedophile."
Well, in talking with one of our local yokels on the subject, he said something to the effect of how Muslims are prone to violence because they're all terrorists and stuff.
Yeah, he said it.
So, I asked him, a Baptist, how he might react if a Muslim filmmaker had created a movie depicting Jesus as a "womanizing homosexual pedophile" and would he just sit back and say nothing and do nothing.
:::crickets:::::
See, that's my issue with religion.
The narrow minded bigotry of it all. Why can't we all, Baptists, Catholics, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and Atheists, just have our own feelings without some other group telling us how we're wrong and we're gonna go to Hell for our beliefs.
Faith is unmeasurable and untenable, but a lot of people have it and you can't deny it, or belittle it, no matter how hard you try.

Now, for a last bit of heavy news: the new TV season.
I watched "The New Normal" because the gays are on it. Or, at least one gay: Andrew Rannell, who's cute as a button. And straight actor Justin Bartha, whom I've always had a wee bit of a crush on, plays Andrew's husband/partner/boyfriend. Together they are using a surrogate to have a child, and the surrogate's Nana, the amazing Ellen Barkin is every kind of bigot imaginable.
Is it a winner? Not yet. Some of the jokes were tired, and it lagged, but I'm hoping it steps up and gets a bit snappier.
Not so much the new Matthew "Friends" Perry show, "Go On". Or, as I like to call it, "Chandler In Therapy."
See, Matthew Perry, sorry to say, will always be Chandler from "Friends" because he continues to play a version of Chandler in everything he does. He was on some SNL-type drama a few years back and I called "Chandler In Some SNL-type Drama." And then he played the manager of a sports arena a few years later, and I called it "Chandler Manages A Sports Arena."
He needs to take a page out of Lisa Kudrow's book. She went from "Friends" to the high-larious "The Comeback" and then brought us the improvisational "Web Therapy" and not one time do I think "Phoebe."
Same with Matt LeBlanc, who is playing "Matt LeBlanc" on "Episodes."
Chandler needs to step out of the box.

So, there you have it. What's on YOUR mind?

6 comments:

  1. Bob,

    Yet another area in which we are in agreement, religion. I was raised a Baptist until a Pentecostal minister scared the crap out of me when I was ten years old by telling me I was born a sinner and will always be a sinner until the day I die. My religious beliefs died that day. I believe now that anyone is free to believe whatever they want to believe or not to believe but it is not my place to push my beliefs (or non beliefs) on anyone else. If everyone else would think this way this world would be a much better place to live.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:54 PM

    I've now watched both episodes of The New Normal. The pilot left men very pessimistic about the show, too stereotypical and except for the kid, each character seemed like a copy of Will and Grace. The second episode I'm very glad I watched - some flash backs, much warmer and more likable character interaction and HOW can you not love a show that has an 8 year old girl watch Grey Gardens and then become Little Edie in dress and speech for the entire episode AND be brilliant!

    I think we have a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sean
    Yes, the Grey Gardens bit was high-larious, and the second episode was an improvement over the first.
    Little Edie! Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. only watched the first episode of the New Normal, will watch the second one tonight. Glad it is getting better. Like the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been off=line all day! It has been terrible! Back on with cell phone. Stupid company could not get out today - this happened last month too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't see why MGB is bitching. If it weren't for John Kerry, she never would have been mentioned in any political convention this year. You know, when you five minutes of flame are over, the glass is either half empty, or half full. No mention at the Republican Convention, and something at the DNC? For a has been, that should be considered a win.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......