Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Praying Away The Gay Is Expensive

One of the things that annoys me about religious folk is when they tell a sinner, whether the sin is being gay, or of a different faith, or of being, I dunno, tall, that they will pray for you.
My first response is always, "Why don't you pray for yourself, you're the one with the problem."
Mirella Salemi, an out gay chef at Manhattan's Mary Ann's, has been awarded $1.6 million in damages after her employer Edward Globokar turned his TriBeCa Mexican restaurant into a makeshift house of worship where he prayed for God to heal gay workers.
Derek Smith, Salemi's attorney, says,“He not only threatened her soul, but he also threatened her livelihood. He thought praying might cure her of her sexuality, but she is someone who didn’t need to be saved.”
Jurors awarded Salemi $1.2 million in punitive damages and $400,000 in compensatory damages, after determining that Globokar was discriminating against employees who didn’t share his religious or personal beliefs--and telling them they faced eternal damnation unless they went to church.
I think someone needs to pray for a new mindset.
Or a fatter bank account if he doesn't learn his lesson.


6 comments:

  1. The acts of people like that restaurant owner are so far beyond a joke that it's come out the other side! Maybe it says something when my major emotion is not anger or humour but just utter amazement how some people can be so effin' DAFT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, I'd like someone to pray away some pesky pounds....

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, really? The things people believe

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....and to add insult to injury, had I been her, I would have shoved my beaded clutch up his ass!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she was able to win in court. Even if she collects, I doubt Globokar will change much since he's determined to be a NIGHTMARE BOSS on the highest order. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,

    Maybe this is one of the reasons I like you and your blog so much. We think alike. I too have had some of my very good straight friends say with all sincerity to me "I will pray for you." I immediately say back to them "No, I'll pray for you because you're the one who needs prayer." They never quite understand, so wrapped up in their piousness.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......