Friday, December 01, 2023

I Didn't Say It ...

Amy Lynn Carter, Jimmy and Rosalynn’s daughter, reading a letter her father wrote to his late wife 75 years ago while serving in the Navy:

“My darling, every time I have ever been away from you, I have been thrilled when I return to discover just how wonderful you are. While I am away, I try to convince myself that you really are not, could not be as sweet and beautiful as I remember. But when I see you, I fall in love with you all over again. Does that seem strange to you? It doesn’t to me. Goodbye, darling. Until tomorrow.”

That’s love, pure and simple.

photo

Heath Ledger, in a long-lost quote about love and Brokeback Mountain, and people who called the film disgusting:

“I also feel like [the film] will surprise people. It’s obviously about two men in love and it’s obviously ‘gay-themed’ and it’s very easily labelled, but unfortunately people are quick in life to label stuff they’re uncomfortable with. I think it’s a real shame [to call the story disgusting]—I think it’s immature for one. I think it’s an incredible shame that people go out of their way to voice their disgust or their negative opinions against the ways in which two people choose to love each other. At least voice your opinions about how two people show hate and violence and anger towards one another. Get over the fact it’s two men—that’s the point … We’re showing that love between two men is just as infectious and emotional and strong and pure as it is with heterosexual love. And if you can’t understand it, just don’t go see the movie. We don’t care. Deal with it in your own private life. Don’t voice it out. We don’t want to know.”

Ledger was way ahead of his time back in 2005 when he said this; hell, he’s a little ahead of time today.

photo

David Cross, stand-up comedian, actor, director, on that history book, The Bible:

“Back when the Bible was written, then edited, then rewritten, then rewritten, then re-edited, then translated from the Dead Languages, then re-translated, then edited, then rewritten, then given to the kings for them to take their favorite parts, then rewritten, then rewritten, then translated again, then given to the Pope for him to approve, then rewritten, then edited again, then re-re-re-re-rewritten again … all based on stories that were told orally 30 to 90 years after they happened, to people who didn’t know how to write so …”

Also take in the fact that parts of the “book” were taken out and lost because perhaps they didn’t fit the narrative that the men in power were pushing.

It’s a history book, y’all, and nothing more.

photo

Mike Johnson, GOP Speaker of the House, and Satan’s favorite Republican, on Separation of Church and State:

“Separation of church and state is a misnomer. People misunderstand it. Of course, it comes from a phrase that was in a letter that Jefferson wrote is not in the Constitution. And what he was explaining is they did not want the government to encroach upon the church, not that they didn’t want principles of faith to have influence on our public life. It’s exactly the opposite. Faith, our deep religious heritage and tradition is a big part of what it means to be an American. That’s why I think we need more of that. Not an establishment of any national religion, but we need everybody’s vibrant expression of faith, because it’s such an important part of who we are as a nation.”

Hey, Mike, you Christian Nationalist racist f*ck, there are three central concepts derived from the 1st Amendment which became America's doctrine for church-state separation:

1] No coercion in religious matters

2] No expectation to support a religion against one's will

3] Religious liberty encompasses all religions.

Basically that means that any and all Americans are free to embrace or reject any and all  faiths, and support for religion—financial or physical—must be voluntary, and all religions are equal in the eyes of the law with no special preference or favoritism.

So we are not now, nor have we ever been a Christian nation, no matter how many bigots say God told ‘em so.

photo

Jenna Ellis, convicted former Thing 45 attorney, spilling the tea on Thing 45’s social media director Dan Scavino on “The Boss” leaving office:

“And he said to me, in a kind of excited tone, ‘Well, we don’t care, and we’re not going to leave. And I said, ‘What do you mean?’ And he said ‘Well, the boss,’ meaning [Thing 45]—and everyone understood ‘the boss,’ that’s what we all called him—he said, ‘The boss is not going to leave under any circumstances. We are just going to stay in power.’ And I said to him, ‘Well, it doesn’t quite work that way, you realize?’ and he said, ‘We don’t care.'”

And still she did nothing other than goose-step along with a lunatic. Jenna is trying to play both sides of the fence but she is a traitor to this country and to her alleged faith.

She can politely fuck all the way off.

photo

Marlon Wayans, comedian and actor, on having a transgender child and his acceptance and “complete unconditional love” for them and his struggle with the pronouns:

Skittles, or Rainbow Child [a new comedy special], is about my daughter—I have a daughter that transitioned into a son. My daughter Amai is now Kai. And so I talk about the transition. Not their transition, but my transition as a parent going from ignorance and denial to complete unconditional love and acceptance. I think there’s a lot of parents out there that need to have that message, and I know. I’m dealing with it. It was a very painful situation for me. But, man, it’s one of the best, funniest hours I could possibly imagine. They know I love them. They see I’m trying … but I gotta respect their wishes, right? And as a parent, I just want my kids to be free. I want them to be free in spirit, free in thought. Free to be themselves. The more you know yourself, the more you can govern yourself, the more you live your truth, the happier your existence. So if they can’t get that in the household, with their father and their mother, how the fuck do I send them out into the world with that kind of confidence? I’m just so proud of them for being them, but that don’t mean I don’t got jokes. I felt like I want to do this set right here because it’s important to me. What’s important to me? Comedy. What’s important to me? My children who I love. And what’s important? Change. And so all you world leaders … I want you to think about these people, and this synapse, and how to be inclusive of this next generation. Because I see a lot of gray hair here, but these kids we’re dealing with here, they’re different. And we can’t have our old ways and expect to do new things. So please embrace the new.”

Pretty simple, no?

photo

25 comments:

  1. David Cross' description of the Bible is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I stumbled upon this quote on a day when Carlos and I had this very conversation, but Cross puts it so much better than I.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:04 AM

    the dog's mother
    Hugs to all except for Ellis and Johnson!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots to love, admire, respect, and be grateful for here. And then there's Johnson and Ellis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I'm thinking we appreciate the good when you sprinkle a little stupid, ignorant, racist and traitorous in there!

      Delete
  4. The bible is more fairy stories than history, being up to 30,000 years old - tales told by nomadic herders.

    I loved Brokeback Mountain; a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brokeback Mountain still makes me cry to this day.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely message from Jimmy Carter!

    Regarding Mike Johnson, if he wishes to embrace and promote a fundamental belief system he would be well-advised to look into the beliefs of native American tribes including the Choctaw nation for whom the sun was their principal deity. Mike could also don the garb of pre-European Choctaw men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy and Rosalynn were an amazing team.
      Mike is a racist, white Christian nationalist trying to hide that fact and doing a terrible job of it because everything he's ever done proves the point that he's a racist, white Christian nationalist.

      Delete
  6. Kudos to Marlon Wayans for showing how it's done. And my God, does Amy Lynn Carter look like her father!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how Marlon owns the mistakes he's made in dealing with a trans child, but showing that love makes all the difference.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Marlon got me emotional.
    That is love, babes. And good parenting.
    The Carters were goals.
    Fuck Mike Johnson. And the religious horse he rides.

    Sixpence

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cleora Borealis12:02 PM

    As often happens, I sense a theme in your postings. Today, it's that people who enjoy the natural world and love their children and others unconditionally, find joy that lasts for generations! But those who impose a god of their own making over that natural world destroy the good in people and never find the unconditional love they crave! I'm so happy to be a heathen...Puritans suck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't plan that but I'm glad you got that out of it!

      Delete
  9. Bravo, Marlon Wayans! I listened to a podcast episode about Mike Johnson and all his scary beliefs and he is truly an extremist. Terrifying, and out of step with the vast majority of Americans. I hope his stint on the national stage is short-lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a Marlon every day and I am hoping that Mike Johnson's time as Speakers ends in a year!

      Delete
  10. Amy is great. I miss Heath. The Bible has been badly edited so many times; did you know that manger is a nice way of saying food trough? And Johnson is another Republican failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bible is the Original version of the Telephone Game.

      Delete
  11. Perfect post to start December, sweetpea! Johnson and Ellis remind us that for all their posturing and hateful rhetoric, we have Marlon, David, Amy, gone but not forgotten Heath, and folks like you to show us the goodness and light in this world.You are grace, darling.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to be more aware of the truth tellers and those that love unconditionally and those that heal, rather than the liars and traitors and hypocrites and liars.
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. aussieguy5:41 PM

    Lots of good stuff here today. Heath was gone way before his time and was way ahead of his time (and as you say, even today.). The Carters' love for each other should be a role model for all of us. The best take? Live YOUR life, not others'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last line says it all!

      Delete
  13. I really enjoyed reading this post. I loved Heath Ledger's quote and the story about Marlon Wayons' son. It uplifted me to see that there's hope. And the bible thing...so true.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......