Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Cain-Wong Residence

In 1966 Portland architect Richard Campbell designed this two-story residence as his primary home on a sloping, wooded lot in Portland’s Highland Crest neighborhood. The house was renovated in two phases, from 2011 to 2013, and in 2018 to 2019, by Paul McKean Architecture.

The Campbell Residence—now known as the Cain Wong Residence, as it is currently owned by Aaron Cain and Annie Wong—is a blend of Japanese-influenced, beam-and-purlin vaulted roof systems and an elegant, exposed-concrete pier structural system; there are custom-milled windows and built-in furniture throughout.

Vaulted cedar ceilings, Douglas fir beams and a red oak floor make up the Great Room—living, dining and kitchen—on the main, upper level of the home. During the first phase of renovations the kitchen was fully updated with quartz countertops, 14-gauge stainless-steel backsplash, and new cabinetry designed to match the original millwork. Two under-counter KitchenAid refrigerators were added along with a new dishwasher, induction cooktop, and electric oven and a custom steel fireplace enclosure created a separation between kitchen and living area.

Downstairs is the primary suite with soaking tub, sauna, massive walk-in closet and private deck. There are three additional bedrooms and a full bathroom  on the lower level as well.

This is literally everything I want: midcentury, Portland, woods, moder … and just sold for a shade under $2M. This was only the second time since 1965 that the house has been on the market so I may have missed my chance!

Damn!


20 comments:

  1. Wow, the exterior is spectacular!!!!! The interior, I really like the kitchen, I love a railroad kitchen, and the bedroom level, the staircase and the built in bookshelves...very nice touch. The main Livingroom and level is much to open of me. Reminds me too much of a chic army barracks. Some parts of this give me flash backs of the George Nakashima house in Bucks County.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like the main living area being so open since it has covered deck at one end and open deck at the other; it seems quite large! Plus, Oregon; yes, please.

      Delete
  2. Throw in a few more area rugs and that place would be spectacular... except for the stairs. As someone who works in flooring, I can tell you that everybody puts in either a runner or carpets the stairs, otherwise you have a serious slip, trip, and fall hazard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the stairs open as they are--quite like our house in Miami.

      Delete
  3. Cleora Borealis11:56 AM

    I fell in love with this place! I have never had the money to buy a special house and I couldn't handle such a responsibility anyway, so I just don't understand real estate prices. How does an amazing gem like this sell for only $2M when ugly monstrosities get so much more?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, while I don't have a couple of million for a home, this one seems like a steal at that price!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:06 PM

    the dog's mother
    Too dark for me but loverly
    outside.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the Oregon cloudy weather and all the trees, but I can deal with that!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I actually like this one! Except for the stairs ... I don't enjoy climbing stairs at 80 ... 🤦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either, even those these seem less treacherous!

      Delete
  6. The exterior views are stunning!! I could sit on the deck with a cup of coffee and watch the world go by.

    I like the layout except I have never been a fan of tubs sitting out in the open taking up a lot of space. The ceilings are kind of dark and makes me feel a little claustrophobic. Some are bothered by the stairs. I am not that old but it looks like they are easy climb up and down. Not like the stairs I encountered Amsterdam where one needed grappling hooks to navigate.

    Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also don't mind the stairs and since it'd just be me and Carlos and the cats I'd take a soak in the open!

      Delete
  7. It is very open and seems exposed inside to the weather elements. There is a lot of timber used but in this case, it seems to work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's closed off to the elements, but there is a covered part of the deck on the same floor as the house so it kind of looks to be exposed.

      Delete
  8. I agree with you: if I had the cool two mill, I would have fought you for it. Love the setting and the house. Kind of Japandi, with just the right amount of open spaces. This time I agree with Dave: I'd use more area rugs. The floors are beautiful but I like the idea of centering more the spaces.
    Wanna know something? I actually own one of those white chairs you see in the balcony/terrace!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kinda liking those white chairs; they'd look good on the deck here at Casa bob y Carlos!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Wow, that's definitely different. I always feel that I wouldn't like such an open space if people could see in, but it certainly is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I like the wide open main floor because of the windows and decks at both end that open to the views; and I love the views of the forest around the house.

      Delete
  10. We could make that work.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......