Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Pueblo-style from 1700s

This three-hundred-plus year-old house was purchased by photographer Dani Brubaker in 2022 from longtime resident Yolanda Ortiz y Pino who had lived in the home for 63 years. Dani collaborated with artist Patricia Larsen to maintain the authentic old-world charm of the home though it was completely updated with new roof, new stucco, new electrical, radiant heating, and new plumbing. 

The ageless property lies along Galisteo Creek and was partially built in the 1700s in the traditional pueblo style with adobe and rock walls, and viga ceilings. The wabi-sabi—a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection—remodel has a minimalist vibe that incorporates nature and light, typical of the work by designer Larsen who worked on the current iteration of this home.

You enter the home under an expansive portal that faces the courtyard and offers evening respite from the sun. The resulting split floor plan includes 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a kitchenette between the guest rooms, versatile spaces that can be used for a home office or gym, a 2-car garage, and a grand room superb for entertaining. If you are looking for a completely Zen experience the primary bedroom and bathroom are the perfect spot.

Some spectacular details: the door to the primary suite is painted with designs by the iconic Fremont Ellis, a founding member of Los Cinco Pintores, a Santa Fe modernist art society formed in the 1920s; a small 3 room building that sits on the edge of the courtyard, is said to be the oldest home in Galisteo, has electric and 2 fireplaces and could be converted to host guests if desired. 

The home is for sale for $1.9M and includes the .66 acres that the home and well sit on, along with a combined 3.46 acre set of parcels that connects the home to the Galisteo Creek and another .85-acre parcel that runs along Hwy 41 off of the front of the home that is commercially viable. 

It just seems calm and peaceful and serene and historic, aged and ageless, and very ‘of the Earth’ to me. I like so many different home styles but this one, because of the age and the design inside, calls to me … but how nice if it called to me with a purchase offer far, far lower?

Or, you know, Christmas is coming and if y’all chipped in … ?

31 comments:

  1. Well, I have no money to contribute to you "buy this house fund". But, at my age, I would be happy to donate my time as the old butler/house keeper that shuffles around the place dusting and frightening children. A place to rest my head, a bowl of soup and a crust of bread would be all I asked in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm ... if you work for free I might be able to gather enough coins to buy the place.

      Delete
  2. It would be like living in a museum. It's lovely but I would be afraid of wrecking something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just think it feels ethereal and earthy and calm and man could I use that these days!

      Delete
  3. It's absolutely lovely, with the exception of the choice of much of the furniture. I would expect more colour, though if I had that view out the window above the sink I'd be willing to wash dishes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like color, but this house is made for a monotone scheme and it works.
      But you are so right about that view from the sink!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic!
    And I really like that they went with the Wabi-sabi philosophy. I think stucco houses are fantastic. And the cultural richness! Whoa.
    I am loving the ceilings, too. And you said 'radiant heat'? I don't have the millions but if I did..

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally go for a bold color, either in art or on the walls, but this just feels right, from the paint colors to the furnishings. It makes me feel peaceful!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Cleora Borealis11:36 AM

    Oh, my stars and garters, now you're talkin'! I agree I would add some dashes of color, but those desert colors outside are spectacular!! A toilet with its own fireplace...my dream reading spot! 🤭 But, again, why is there mostly overhead lighting? At night, where are my softly-lit niches, nooks, and crannies?! Why doesn't anybody care about my crannies?! 😠

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call our bathroom The Reading Room and if it only had a fireplace in it and Carlos let me take my meals there, I might never come out!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:47 AM

    the dog's mother
    Glad they were able to restore it
    and keep it as a home.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot stop looking at it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I like the style but not for me....unless I wanted to be in an episode of Bonanza!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a vibe it gives, and it's so very different from our home that it surprises me how much I love it.

      Delete
  8. Too much whiteness, but a couple of gallons of paint will fix that up in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe art; maybe knick-knacks: but the walls are perfect as is.

      Delete
  9. I am not a New Mexico girl!! I like my weather and little more varied, distinct change of seasons, and if you can throw in a little snow then all the better.

    I will pass on this home. I know if I buy it I will take everything out and put my stamp on it. Each to their own BUT who in the hell thought this decorating sensibility works. Too white, too beige. And yes, I know there were trying to hit the wabi-sabi-style but no.

    I do love the grounds though. Feels tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it snows in New Mexico and the desert changes its look every season. And I would take this home as is ... especially with a grand piano that Carlos would love!

      Delete
  10. The house sits so well in its environment. The long wide verandah reminds me of older Australian country houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT'S the phrase that explains what I love about it: it sits so well in its environment!
      Thanks for that!

      Delete
  11. I do love this. It just needs to be packed up and shipped to Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might work in a remote area of Australia ... but packing and shipping might cost a pretty penny!

      Delete
  12. I was going to say "too rustic for me". But nope. That grand piano... man. Adore this. Love the consistency in design and the thoughtful choices. Creates so much mystery. It's like a desert home for ghosts. Adore. And a kitchenette? Really? These are my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; the piano make sit for me because Carlos would die for that!

      Delete
  13. My BIL lives in Taos and it's always a pleasure and delight to visit and tour the area. The architecture is so perfect for the site, so ifI had the gap, I'd buy it and invite all y'all to visit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that area of New mexico and could live there in a heartbeat.
      Carlos, on the other hand, is a hard pass! And he is no fan of Pueblo-style!

      Delete
  14. Oh that is stunning, if a tad "white" for me, but that could soon be fixed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about the lack of color in this one really appeals to me, though.

      Delete
  15. It has great bones, nice space, it needs some furniture and color inside. I could make that home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As someone who lives in New Mexico, I recognize this style and love it. While my house in Albuquerque is more mid-century midwestern, I appreciate the New Mexico/Native American style and have some hint of that in my home. I really like the colors and the space not to mention the incredible landscapes and enchanted sunsets. And we do have seasons. Right now it's in the low 40s during the day and the mid 20s at night. We have even had a little snow, hail and rain. Viva NM!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......