Thursday, December 21, 2023

Bobservations

The other morning Carlos got up early because he had to be in court that morning for a translation, and I lazed in bed while he showered and such. I awoke to hear him calling the cats to breakfast. I stretched and yawned and slowly opened my eyes and then heard a crash and a …

“Oh f*ck.”

I got up and stumbled down the hall, asking:

“What broke?”

“One of those ceramic pieces on that cabinet.”

And there it was, a small vase my Aunt Norma had given me when I moved into my first apartment about a hundred years ago. I scooped up the bits of ceramic, and the tiny chards, took it into the kitchen and tossed it into the trash. Carlos apologized and apologized and apologized and apologized, even though I told him it wasn’t a big deal, accidents happen, blah blah blah, and I went off to work. But when I came home that afternoon I found that Carlos had dug the vase from the trash and glued it back together; but, you know, his eyesight. So the piece looked a little Dali-esque, kind of slumped over a bit, a couple of pieces of ceramic sticking out.

And I love it, and I love him for putting it back together and giving it a little more character than it might have had before.

This Tuxedo Memory is from  December 2010

"The Christmas Tuxedo"

One thing about Tuxedo, he loved the Christmas tree and never ever bothered it, but just used it as a place to nap.

Some people are annoyed about seeing ‘unhoused’ people asking for change while wearing nice, clean clothes; how can they dress so well and panhandle? Well, I donate lots of clothes, nice decent clothes, that I no longer wear to thrift stores and shelters and such and who knows who gets them.

This is a reminder that you have no idea where the person outside your bank or grocery store got their clothes and that they don’t owe it to you to be dressed in rags so you can feed your ego about helping out. If your life is warm and dry, and you aren’t hungry, and have a place to lay your head simply be grateful. And helpful.

It struck me that Taylor Swift and Beyonce pulled a fast one on y’all. They sold you concert tickets and then filmed the concert and then sold you tickets to the movie of the concert so you can watch yourselves watch them perform … and pocket your money.

Dan Patrick, GOP Lieutenant Governor of Texas, is pissed that Colorado wants to remove Inmate # P01135809  from the ballot in the upcoming presidential primary for engaging in, and inciting, the January 6 insurrection and so Patrick wants President Biden off the Texas ballot because of the border crisis—that Biden inherited from every president who came before him and didn’t pass Immigration Reform. And Patrick laughingly said it’s because:

“Seeing what happened in Colorado makes me think—except we believe in democracy in Texas—maybe we should take Joe Biden off the ballot in Texas for allowing eight million people to cross the border since he’s been president disrupting our state.”

Texas and Democracy haven’t gone together since Texas decided to make women property of the state and control their bodies so Texas and Danny Patrick can fuck all the way off.

In his closing remarks at the trial last week Rudy Giuliani’s own attorney compared him to a fanatical “flat-earther” who will never stop believing the 2020 election lie and asked the jury to “have sympathy” when determining how much he owes the plaintiffs in his defamation suit.

And the jury came back with a $148,000,000 settlement for Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, two Georgia election workers whose lives were upended because Rudy is a liar and a cheat.

It was a good day.

This is Matt Bershadker, the CEO of the ASPCA, and he makes over $1M a year; he’s made some $7M since taking on that job. 

If you want your donations to go to shelter pets, instead of millionaires, give your hard-earned money to local shelters.

Something to ponder … back in the day men used to claim that certain women were witches and they would throw them into the water to see if they drowned. If they did, in fact, drown they were not witches.

Today we have men who say the only exception to abortion is if the mother’s life is at risk so they want to force her to carry the baby to term. And then, if she dies as a result she was at risk and could have had the abortion.

That’s the way men think.

This is Christopher Côté, self-made fitness model, content creator and owner of his own clothing line—odd since he wears little to no clothing a lot—Chrisnation. All well and good but the issue is: Would You Hit It?

47 comments:

  1. Carlos did good, real good. Keep in mind, there is a difference between those "unhoused" and panhandlers. I worked with a girl who had no problem panhandling on weekends because, as she said, "some people are easy suckers." And tell Chris that if he's ever in the neighborhood, to stop in and say hi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy way to tell is offer to buy the person food and if they say they'd rather have the cash, you can guess they aren't hungry or unhoused.

      Delete
  2. How sweet of Carlos to mend your vase. I can understand why he was so upset. My niece lost my great grandma's ring and cried and cried and said sorry so many times I was nearly crying with her. I told her that people are far more important than things.

    Some charities give suits and shirts/blouses to those in need when they have job interviews. The more help the poor get the better; such a shame that none comes from the government.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos is about the kindest human I have ever met.
      The government is too busy helping themselves to care about the less fortunate.

      Delete
  3. That was SO GREAT of Carlos to fix your vase! Can we see it?

    The Rudy G verdict made my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a photo of the vase, er, it's actually a coffee cup, the vase did not get broken, and post it.
      I loved the Drunkle Rudy verdict!

      Delete
  4. I was so glad for Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss! Rudy made their life horrible with his lies. What a jerk.
    How sweet of Carlos! I want to see a photo too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet Rudy still insists he has proof! Oy.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:09 AM

    the dog's mother
    (Carlos) (Tuxedo always)
    Much chortling over RudyG.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Rudy; there isn't enough hair dye to fix this.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Awww... Carlos is a sweetheart! I'm impressed too, with Tux. My cats were rarely that well-behaved.
    Woot, woot for the Georgia election workers! I hope the rest of the cases go in their favor too.
    I've never understand the way many men think. Never have, never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the cats we've had loved laying under the Christmas tree but never really bothered with it too much.
      Men are idiots; most anyway.

      Delete
  7. Good for the jury in the Rudy Giuliani defamation case for not buying any of his bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet he continues to spew the bullshit.

      Delete
  8. Two things: first, I laughed so hard at the picture of Giuliani panhandling, it struck my funny bone for some reason; second, I loved that Carlos fixed your vase. That's about as sweet as a person can be. Happy Holidays to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos is an angel, seriously.
      Happy Ho Ho Ho!

      Delete
  9. That was so kind of Carlos. I thought the CO ruling would be great but it turns out that it actually helps #45 which is frustrating and scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How so? I live in Colorado and I have not heard anything about it benefiting Thing 45.

      Delete
    2. I think Margaret means it fires up his base, which is dwindling, if you notice his tiny rallies.

      Delete
    3. According to the GOP and the Dems, this ruling actually helps him--with fundraising and with support from his crazies, er...base. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/colorado-hands-trump-political-gift-ballot-rcna130578

      Delete
    4. But many Republicans agree with the decision which means they either won't vote for him or will vote for Joe.

      Delete
  10. I actually love that Carlos story. And just think you definitely will now have an original piece of object de art'!!!!

    The Panhandle thing is a big mess here in Harrisburg. There's the ones that really need the money and are actually homeless and then there's also a network of people who also Panhandle which seems like on every corner asking for money. My friends who are married and both cops have told me to be weary of who I'm giving the money to. The one network has been arrested several times. And they make fortunes getting loose change and bills. They tell me the difference is that true on house homeless people very seldom will outright ask for money.

    And yes if Christopher wanted to tap me several times he could! I mean it is Christmas after all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bob, this post really touched me for two reasons. One, the story of the vase was the epitome of love between two people on so many levels. The fact that Carlos dug it out of the trash made my eyes tear up! And secondly, when I was teaching, I tried to always instill in my students the idea that one should always try to be more understanding of one another, that we never really know what people go through. Kindness and acceptance goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little mistry, too, when he gave it back to me.
      And, again, it takes very little effort to be kind and less judgemental.

      Delete
  12. I'll let one of your better educated readers describe it but I believe that there is a Japanese custom of repairing broken things where the repair is visible and becomes a part of the object.

    Taking this idea, the vase now has two stories. The first is of your aunt's generosity when you were launching your adult life. The second story is of the sensitive and caring man that you met and married who recognized the first story of the vase and whose painstaking efforts, driven by his love and respect for you are now told in the vase in its present form.

    Two good stories. You are loved.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that custom; and it does make the piece look more interesting, with the new chips and cracks and pieces that no longer fit quite right.
      Thanks Will Jay, for saying that, and giving me another perspective.

      Delete
  13. I think we need a photo of the re-imagined Dali-esque vase.
    Côté looks nice but the only photo of him I really like is where he is smiling. Why to models always have to pout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i will snap a pic of it and share it.
      I think models pout because they think they look sexier???

      Delete
    2. Pouting is sulking and sulking is not sexy, neither are those ridiculous "duck lips" on women.

      Delete
    3. But they still do it .... I prefer a little joy.

      Delete
  14. *Carlos---I am still misty over his efforts. You are correct. He is a keeper. Simmer down!! Just accept it!!

    *Don't get me started on Taylor and Beyoncé. Taylor has always been calculating and manufactured. I don't think she does anything with pure motives. There is always a catch. An end game. I heard a rumor/gossip that the Time article-when she was on the cover-was written by her team and that folks, as per usual, fans try to find the Easter eggs. What ever that means. Beyoncé is in the same boat as Taylor. She did Destiny's Child dirty. She thinks too highly of herself.

    *I say always try to be kind to others as you move about your day. You never know what one is going through. Your simple gesture of acknowledging them and saying a simple HELLO will can make their day. When I do business or at work I try to focus on them first with a simple Hello, How are you?, Had a great evening? Something. Something short and simple. And then I move on with the business at hand.

    *Yes!! I would hit it. I have a thing for dark haired men. And yes, I will rant again about the over use of a razor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never give a penny to Swifty or Bey.
      Costs nothing to be kind to people.
      Christopher is my kind of man; dark hair and eyes and sultry. I know one like that who can fix a broken vase in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  15. Carlos is the best. I don't even know what Taylor Swift sounds like, and I haven't heard Beyonce in a long time. I'm afraid the two election workers will never see a penny of their settlement now that Rudy has declared bankruptcy. I love the tweet about Lindsey Lulu.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos IS the best.
      The one thing about Drunkle Rudy, whenever he makes a penny, they can tyke the penny.
      I can see Miss Lindsey running from the room!
      xoxo

      Delete
  16. Perhaps you all should just give Texas to the Mexicans and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt even Mexico would want Texas because most Texans would have to stay there ... behind a wall.

      Delete
  17. Carlos did a wonderful thing repairing the vase for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There have been so many times I've wanted to give Carlos an enormous hug. That vase will forever be a treasure. Christopher Côté? Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually means more to me now.
      And Christopher is a definite yes.

      Delete
  19. Kintsugi art is very popular, so well done Carlos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New life to an old treasure.

      Delete
  20. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Carlos? Wrap him up in the biggest hug! Christopher Côté? Same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos and christopher in the same hug?

      Delete
  21. If Texas broke off and formed a new country, would we fight or celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I applaud the diagrammatic representation of "Someone's Life". This is something I have often thought about but never as simply and straightforwardly as that. How sweet of Clumsy Carlos to even attempt to glue the ceramic ornament back together.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......