Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: High Above Silver Lake

This Streamline Moderne architectural estate was built by architect Saul Harris Brown in 1938 with a renovation and rare garden design by famed modern architect Gregory Ain. The multi-level, five-bedroom, three-bathroom, 2780 square foot  floor plan offers access to the garden and rooftop from almost every room and lots of privacy from which to enjoy sprawling views of the San Bernardino Mountains.

And while it maintains its original 1938 charm, the interiors and kitchen have been recently updated and plans exist for a pool to complete an already lush and secluded backyard. Due to its architectural significance, the house is eligible for Mills Act application; the Mills Act is a California  law which allows cities to enter into contracts with the owners of historic structures resulting into a reduction of property taxes in exchange for the continued preservation of the property.

But back to the home … the entry stairway leads to the living room with a wood burning fireplace, original Art Deco lights, views to the front and access to the garden pergola via ceiling height glass doors. On the opposite side of the living room the dining extends into a long, light-flooded galley kitchen with expansive pantry-storage and all new appliances. The kitchen and den on this level also have direct access to the garden and an adjacent bathroom.

On the top level is another bathroom and three bedrooms, each with walk-in closets and access to the large roof terrace while on the lower level is another bathroom, additional storage, laundry room and separate entry from the outside making the rooms useful as an office, bedroom, work out space, or guest room.

This unique architectural property features well-preserved and restored original details like ceiling lights, railings and gates, and hardwood flooring ; but there is all new electrical wiring, copper plumbing, central AC and heat control on all three levels, and a tankless water heater.

The garden is designed as the extension of the living room and consists of two levels, the lawn and the concrete platform above—where a pool could be built—separated through a concave curved wall.

2339 Silver Ridge Ave is a rare piece of architectural history on one of the most significant streets for architectural homes, including the 1925 How house by Rudolf Schindler, the 1939 Hawk house by Harwell Hamiltion Harris, the 1958 Morris house by A.E. Morris and the 1940 Sabsay House by J.R. Davidson among others.

And this piece of history, with a built-in tax break, can be yours for just $2,999,000.

As always. Click to emBIGGERate …

30 comments:

  1. Krayolakris9:09 AM

    Hmmmmm…pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the style and location; I hate the stairs; and I hate that it seems a little rundown and rough around the edges. It needs some loving carte ... and an elevator.

      Delete
  2. It's okay, the view must be great, but all of that white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The white is good to show off the curves; splash some art and rugs around!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of that skinny kitchen.
    Do the furniture and decor come with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't mind the kitchen because it's wider than most galley kitchens and far longer.
      And I'd demand they remove all the furniture and burn it! But that's just me.

      Delete
  4. Cleora Borealis10:39 AM

    Ooof! I really tried to find one, just one, thing to like...I got nuthin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the space and the land and the area ... but walking up two flights or more just to take MORE stairs to the front door? Who has the time?

      Delete
  5. I do love those curved windows! It looks like a perfect house for Nick and Nora Charles. It's much taller than I imagined when I first saw it from above in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the style; it's a time capsule from a more glamorous era, but it's been allowed to fade a bit.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:43 AM

    the dog's mother
    As usual I like the greenery outside.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the land, yes, ma'am!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Could be cool. Isn't yet. And I don't know how much you'd be permitted to do after the Mills Act agreement. The decor is an absolute nightmare. We had two different sets of friends in San Diego who took advantage of the Mills Act. And I mean TOOK ADVANTAGE. One was a California Craftsman. A stunning home that they renovated and updated completely and beautifully inside. Little of the original remained. They then applied and got historic status and a huge tax break. The others had a cool deco home. They added a large hideous southwest style addition that didn't go at all with the house. They completely replaced the kitchen. THEN they too applied and received historic status and a tax break. Others with purely historic houses and no money to apply for historic status, nor to upgrade, didn't get the tax breaks although their homes remained true to the original style. Hmmm... That was 25 years ago and I still haven't gotten over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd set fire to the furnishings and accessories.
      I would hope that whoever buys it respects it's original style ... and puts in a damn elevator!!!

      Delete
  8. I have a friend in LA that lives about 15 minutes from Silver Lake. I have driven around this neighborhood taking a look at all the homes. They are outstanding BUT driving in the neighborhood one could easily get lost and turned around if you are not familiar with the streets which are narrow and winding. Los Angles has some great pockets of well established older homes. The home styles spans from ranches, Art Deco, comfortable well thought out bungalows... Many homes sit on hills with great views. I used to love to walk through his neighborhood and discover the hidden treasures.

    Love the home. I could work with it and make it a more comfortable home. Of course I could do a whole hell of a lot better with the decorating. What's up with the bedroom with the blue curtains monstrosity and repeats the ugliness in the living room with those pale green curtains. I do love a good parquet floor. I had an apartment in VA that had well maintained parquet floors throughout. I used to gloss those floors up. When I moved out they "remodeled" the apartment and covered everything in carpet. I love, love that second floor patio of your selection. Imagine the views and 4th of July viewing of fireworks.

    Happy New Dear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to give it a good long bath and a scrub down to wash away what feels like grime; but underneath it has a real sense of beauty.
      Oh, and I might move it to the flats so it's not a trek from driveway to front door!

      Delete
  9. The house definitely has a beautiful backyard

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, don't like it at all. Too sterile and cold for me on the inside. Now, if they had brought some of the colour of the beautiful garden space indoors, I'd sing a different tune. The price isn't that horrible either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it needs some color and all new furniture and drapes and such; a fresh coat of paint, some new floors.
      AND AN ELEVATOR!

      Delete
  11. Bob, your Bobservations link his working.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is the thing inside that looks like a tree? It's probably some valuable work of art and I have no taste because I think it's weird. I like the plaid furniture. It's not for me, but it doesn't matter because I can't afford any of these houses.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "tree" is the first thing on the bonfire if I were to buy this house.

      Delete
  13. I wasn't impressed by the bird's eye viwe of it, but the rest of the pictures made me think better of this house. I like it, though it isn't something I would live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs a refresh in paint, inside and out, and new furniture and to have that pool put in!

      Delete
  14. You must mean views of the Santa Monica Mountains or the Verdugo hills for that location. Back when I lived around that part of the world, Silver Lake was considered a bit louche, but at that time there was Sarno's which was fun.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the sordid places become gentrified at some point!

      Delete
  15. Great bones, too many stairs at my age. I agree, it needs to be redecorated - it looks like they ran out of money for furniture, then they stuffed a bed up against the wall in a large room? I can find a place for an elevator. Maybe a glass box on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The elevator would have to be outside because there's no straight up path from the garage to inside the house! I like the glass box idea.

      Delete
  16. Silver Lake and Los Feliz have always been some of my favorite LA locations! Especially "back in the day" before gentrification! This house is lovely, but as you said, too many steps! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wondered WTF the "tree" thing was! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......