Thursday, December 08, 2011

To Ten Commandment, Or Not To Ten Commandment

Some people do not understand Separation Of Church And State though i find it hard to fathom. I mean 'separation', to keep things apart, church and state; to keep church ans state apart. Church out of the state, or government  business, and the government out of the church business.
Pretty cut-and-dried, eh?
Not so up in Roanoke, where US District Court Jude Michael Urbanski has declined to dismiss a lawsuit challenging a display of the Ten Commandments at a public school. This is considered an upset for the Giles County school, which hoped the lawsuit over the Ten Commandments display at Narrows High School would end quickly.
It seems, though, that the unnamed student's opinion that allowing the document to be framed and displayed on a school building wall is akin to the United Sates endorsing a religion, one over the other, and is in violation of the law, and the whole shebang is set to go to trial.
Now, to be fair, this is not such a difficult decision. Let me break it down for you:

  • If you want your children to be taught the Ten Commandments, send them to church.
  • If you want your children to be taught the Ten Commandments, or any religious teachings at all, get them out of public school and send them to a religious school
  • Do not subject anyone else, who does not share your religious leanings, or any religious leanings, to your religious leanings.

It's quite simple. I mean, if you want to display the Ten Commandments then display them, but then display documents and passages from every religious text in the world, from every single religion worldwide, and every single non-religious, atheist viewpoint, agnostic viewpoint, I-don't-know-what-I-believe viewpoint on every single wall of every single public, i.e. state, school in the land.
And, maybe it's just me,m but i don't think that would go over so well.


source 

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:41 AM

    AMEN! I don't understand why people don't get this. Like you're saying, it's really quite simple. Just one more example of the "hypochristians" wanting to get their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mineself would require posting of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's 8 I'd Really Rather You Didn't-s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They better put some quotes from The Tao of Pooh up on that wall too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children go to private school (this is why I work 5 days a week). This is my choice and it is a parochial school. I would never, ever put my kids in a public school and expect them to learn anything religious. I understand the diversity of children in any area and would never want another child to feel uncomfortable because their beliefs are "different". I understand the separation and why it must be so (and I ain't that smart) why doesn't anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've about nailed it. Wake Forest University recently published a short, objective Q&A primer on the current law of separation of church and state–as applied by the courts rather than as caricatured in the blogosphere. I commend it to you. http://tiny.cc/6nnnx

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......