Monday, November 07, 2011

A Sit-In For Standing Up

Cole Peterson
We ask the parents to do something when a child gets bullied. We ask the teachers, the school administrators. We even ask politicians to step up. Maybe we're asking the wrong people, and maybe the student body of Essex High School, in Vermont, has the right idea.
Last Friday hundreds of Essex students filled the gym to take a stand against bullying, and to support Cole Peterson, a bisexual student, who said he was beaten and bullied for his orientation.
"I feel so very supported and loved, and I am just so gracious for all the help I've gotten from all the students. Random students that have attended this event, that I don't even know who they are, have just come up to me and hugged me and told me that they support me and I just feel really amazing about this."--Cole Peterson
The students staged an all day sit-in in response to Peterson's claims , They participated in workshops to address bullying, creates signs to show their support, and shared their own stories of both being a bully and being bullied.
"We've learned about terms for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders, transvestites. We're putting out a strong message that they're just human beings and they're not something to be against."--Thomas Titus, an Essex freshmen.
Essex High School principal Rob Reardon says the sit-in is just a start to tackling bullying behavior on and off school grounds, and he believes that the students have the power to stop the behavior, which can happen on and off campus, and even when school is not in session.
Why some schools say they plan on tackling the subject, they are doing something about it at Essex High. While some parents and teachers fret and talk and ponder and wonder, the students in Vermont are taking a stand.
A fine example, I think.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Let's hope it has a domino effect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that and they should add in fat kids, skinny kids, awkward kids, learning disabled kids, kids with the wrong haircut or clothes. It is time to be kind and grow up. Treat others as you would have them treat you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Great post! I sometimes think that we don't give young people enough credit. They're not taught to hate at school, they're taught to hate at home and taught to be judgemental in church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok..
    Here's my country fried take on this subject.
    When I read of all the children killing themselves over bullying, I become numb and sick.
    I will never understand how we as a nation let this epidemic carry on.
    With that being said, I read on a blog somewhere that the "It gets better" campaign was simply not enough or working.
    I agree.
    It's time we start kicking some fucking ass up in this camp.
    I'm tired of the bullshit.
    Look, I'm all for putting my foot in someones ass if they get out of line.
    We should start a new campaign.
    "It will get your ass kicked" campaign.
    The same campaign used when a racist (fill in the blank with whoever you want) calls someone black the N word as a slur.
    No, Violence is not the answer and I'm more than willing to turn the other cheek but sometimes a good ol' ass kickin is needed to get your point across.
    Trust me, if I hear the word faggot, or see someone being fucked with, I TAKE ACTION.
    WE NEED STAND UP!
    Many may become upset by my words and say that this doesn't help at all and that I'm a moron, and that's fine.
    Look, I wasn't always the biggest kid on the playground and after a few rounds with asshats, word spread quickly. DONT FUCK with that one kid right there, he is CRA CRA CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with Sam. Violence isnt usually the answer, but at times, thats all thats left. Bullying needs to stop, and not just for the LGBTQ kids, but all kids. Toss those bullys out of school, and i mean students, teachers and administration. No one is safe from the ax of firing. Tenure has no leverage if the teachers are found guilty of being a bully, to both students, and members of the school's administration.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......