Sunday, November 27, 2011

Harvey Milk May 22, 1930 – November 27, 1978

Harvey Milk died thirty-three years ago today.
His words still echo........


“My name is Harvey Milk and I’m here to recruit you.”


“I cannot prevent anyone from getting angry, or mad, or frustrated. I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” 


“All young people, regardless of sexual orientation or identity, deserve a safe and supportive environment in which to achieve their full potential.”


“If I turned around every time somebody called me a faggot, I’d be walking backward – and I don’t want to walk backward.”


“All men are created equal. No matter how hard you try, you can never erase those words.”


“If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door.”

7 comments:

  1. His death was one of the events that really brought some things into focus for some folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this so people never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:57 PM

    I will never forget. I was 14 years old when he was gunned down. I knew I was different then but because of the church and family had to hide a bit.

    But I broke free of all that. Partly because of Harvey Milk. Partly because of my education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was raised in Texas so of course his name/ actions or death was never discussed.
    I'm the first and only openly out gay in my complete family tree, which by the way is odd to me considering how many family members I have.
    I wish I had known Harvey Milk in my youth.
    My life would have been different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a good post

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to remember where we have come from to get where we are going. It's amazing to think of everything that leaders like Harvey Milk overcame. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is one of my idols, he inspires me so much..
    On Friday public tv here in Italy will show the film about him;
    I'm trying on facebook, at my page called "holding trevor blog", to let the people know about that. Because the people should know what he had done and what we still have to do.
    Best Regards,
    Simone.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......