Monday, November 28, 2011

What's A Little Pepper Spray When TV's Are 50% Off?

I don't like shopping. I have never done, and will never do, those Black Friday things where you have your Thanksgiving dinner and then head out to a store to sleep on the concrete so you can buy a TV at 4 AM.
I.Don't.Shop.
I purchase. What I need, when I need it. I know what I want when I head out and I find it, buy it, bag it, and drive it home. I don't even like Internet shopping. That's how much I hate shopping.
So, naturally, this story about the woman who pepper sprayed customers at a Wal-Mart in what many folks are saying was a deliberate attempt to get more "door buster" merchandise makes me ill. Weren't we all just up in arms last week about the UC Davis police officer who pepper sprayed the protesters? And now a woman uses the same tactic to save a couple of bucks?
That woman, who so needed to buy whatever it was that was on sale, injured some 20 customers, including children, in her rampage. Shoppers complained of minor skin and eye irritation and sore throats. And it neither started nor ended at the door. This particular wacknut--and WTF is her name?--used the spray in more than one area of the Wal-Mart "to gain preferred access to a variety of locations in the store." 
"This was customer-versus-customer 'shopping rage,'" said Los Angeles Police Lt. Abel Parga.  Los Angeles Fire Capt. James Carson, said, "She was competitive shopping."
No, she was assaulting people and should have been arrested. Unfortunately, too many people were temporarily blinded, or burned, or frightened to give a detailed description.

7 comments:

  1. Well. I had a delivery in Hanover Park, IL on Thanksgiving evening, unfortunately a Walmart shared the parking lot.
    Bill and I decided to check out the madness of the black Friday sell.
    I posted photos on twitter and facebook.
    It was sickening. Walmart needs to be sued.
    A fight broke out between two women over linens and towels and the police came.
    That was only the beginning.
    I worked at a Walmart distribution center for 10 yrs back when the old man was alive. His death changed this company. For the worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's embarrassing and I almost went there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:15 PM

    I've been a retail manager/district manager for over 20 years now and have had to work every black friday.

    First, Black Friday may be the biggest shopping day but for most retailers it is not the biggest spending day, that would be the last Saturday before Xmas.

    Second, unlike you, I don't mind shopping and will browse for inspiration. However, over the past few years I find myself calculating how much time it will take me to travel and find an item and convert that into an hourly wage. If it's more than I earn per hour, then it's not worth my time. Time is money and my time is too valuable to spend waiting in line away from my friends/family/fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:39 PM

    Admittedly I enjoy shopping a little more now that I have a new nephew to spoil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:42 PM

    I could never do in store Black Friday shopping. The cost of bail wouldn't justify the savings I'd get from buying stuff I don't need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Bob, you know I do the same thing but I just throw a strong gin in their eyes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that the pepper-spray woman turned herself in. I don't like to shop, either. In with a list, out as quick as possible! Sam--I agree. I worked at Wal-Mart some years ago and liked it, but the old man was still around and the atmosphere was totally different! (and the products we sold were American Made!)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......