Friday, May 21, 2010

I Didn't Say It......


Former First Lady Laura Bush, on marriage equality:
“It’s a very, very difficult issue for very many people, because the marriage between a man and a woman is so fundamental to our civic life for all of our history, for the history of humans. And it's a debate that I think people want to have, and I hope they have it in a way that protects people…And in many ways, I think it’s generational and that gay marriage will come. I’m okay with that.”
Nicely put, except then she said she has no opinion on DADT.
Really?
Gays marrying one another is fine, but you don't know if they should be able to serve openly in the military?


Elisabeth Hasselbeck, responding on The View to Laura Bush's recent support of gay marriage:
"Some people are saying, well, this is a day late and a dollar short, where were you when you could have said something earlier? And in terms of gay marriage, I think there are a lot of, maybe, conservatives out there who are talking about gay marriage and not necessarily with someone who wants to have gay marriage or has been in a gay marriage.
"You know, I had Melissa Etheridge over, we had dinner, we talked for hours about gay marriage, and I would really challenge people: Get out there. Instead of just talking about it and hating on it, actually talk to someone who’s loved someone else and have the conversation about what can be done."
Who could have known that Hasselbeck could have been so thoughtful and reasonable and, well, not quite so Republican?

Glee's Jane Lynch, on Ramin Setoodeh's contentious Newsweek article:
“The thing is, actors are actors: You can’t play gay anymore than you can play somebody who’s Catholic. Aaron Sorkin wrote a wonderful thing in the Huffington Post. I don’t think you have to slap somebody down for making an opinion that you don’t agree with. But I do think what Kristin and Ryan did was so important, and I’m glad that they said it. It doesn’t mean, ‘Off with [Setoodeh's] head.’ But I’m very glad, and I thought it was very heroic what the two of them did.”

Nicolas Cage, on being crazy...I kid....on how he eats meat:
“I love all animals. I have a fascination with fish, birds, whales – sentient life – insects, reptiles. I actually choose the way I eat according to the way animals have sex. I think fish are very dignified with sex. So are birds. But pigs, not so much. So I don’t eat pig meat or things like that. I eat fish and fowl.”
Okay, maybe I did mean crazy.

Actor Johnny Galecki's sexuality was brought up this week on The View, and he told the ladies why he's never responded to rumors that he's gay:
"I've never really addressed those rumors because I always figured, why defend yourself against something that's not offensive?"
Nicely done, Johnny. Now if you could get Tom Cruise to think that way instead of filing a $100 million lawsuit anytime someone hints he's a homo.

Democratic candidate for Florida governor Alex Sink on the George Rekers scandal:
"When Attorney General McCollum was asked why he would hire a man like this--who previous courts had said that his testimony was no legitimacy--his response was, 'Well it wasn't me who hired him. It was the Department of Children and Families, they hired the expert witnesses.' Well, surprise, surprise, about two weeks later the Department of Children and Families said, 'Oh no that's not the way it was. We didn't want to hire this guy. The attorney general demanded that we hire the man,' and they produced a letter signed by the Attorney General McCollum himself.
"That sounds to me like a typical politician. He's faced with something, they try to sweep it under the carpet or lay the blame on somebody else when all along he was the one who agreed to hire this Rekers, whose testimony in previous cases had already been judged to be not relevant and not accurate. We don't need people in public service like that."

4 comments:

  1. Okay, fish are having sex all the time in my pond in the spring. Carp to be exact (goldfish). The males all gang up on one female, chase her all over the pond and push her into rocks and the side. I guess they would be saved from bbq-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic Cage looks creepy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love Laura Bush. I wish she had been more open on DADT but at least she wasn't opposed to it.

    I heard Elisabeth say that she had Melissa Etheridge over and they were watching American Idol together. I thought that was a VERY strange duo. Glad to know she is for gay marriage rights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura should have spoken up sooner.

    Oh, Johnny, great answer, but just come out already.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......