Friday, May 07, 2010

I Didn't Say It.......

New Zealand speed skater, Blake Skjellerup, coming out of the closet:
"The first real issue was that I was there [at the Olympics] to compete--to focus on my skating--and to not have the focus on my sexuality. We are not yet at the point in society where being gay sportsperson is not a big deal. If I was asked during any of my twenty-something interviews at the Olympics whether I had a boyfriend or a girlfriend--in the same sentence--I would have replied honestly, but I may have replied hesitantly....Gays are too often given a stereotype. Back when I was 18, and becoming serious about my sport and my Olympic goals, if I could have seen an athlete like myself out there--with whom I could relate to--my journey would have been a lot easier. Johnny Weir meets a specific stereotype, I meet a specific stereotype and Gareth Thomas meets another. Being gay is just like any other personality trait: it’s multifaceted. I can’t personally relate to Weir or Thomas, and nor will many other young gay athletes out there. But maybe some of them will see something in me to relate to. The more types we provide, the more we’ll appeal to people [who are struggling with their sexuality.]"

Sandra Bullock, on why she won't be making any movies any time soon:
"All I know is that I want to be able to enjoy being a mom. Doing all the things moms get to do, outside in the sun, in the world. The career will have to wait for a bit. I don't want to step into that world until I can find out what room I left my armour in. You need tough skin to be in this business. I don't have tough skin right now and I don't want it."

Madonna, on taking some time off from her music to focus on her upcoming movie, W.E.:
"I haven't really been focused as much as I should be on the music part of my career, because the movie has consumed every inch of me. Between that and my four children, I don’t have the time or energy for anything else...[and]...it's weird. I don't have a record deal right now with anybody. I don't know how I'm going to get my music out the next time I make a record."

Demi Moore, on :::yawn::: staying youthful:
"I would say that a lot of sex helps. It's the endorphins! But there's more than that, it's also sharing a quality life with someone. I know I have someone who loves me for who I am and who I'm not. He loves me for my imperfections and that makes me feel so happy....I've aged, I don't look the same as I did in my 20s and 30s. But you've got to make the most of what you have."

Susan Boyle, on plastic surgery:
"I would like to have my teeth done. But that would be it. I don't want to change too much of myself. I won't be looking like Barbie any time soon."

Congressman Patrick Murphy, on the fight to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell:
"After my three years in Washington, I think when folks tell you to walk away, that’s usually a sign that you’re getting close. So we have to keep working, people need to call their members of Congress, their Senators. Obviously, the letter was a setback, but I know we’re on the right side of history here and we’re going to keep fighting till we get this done this year...I said from the get-go that just because change is hard it doesn’t mean it can’t happen. We have a bi-partisan bill to repeal 'don’t ask, don’t tell' in the House of Representatives. We have Republican support, we have Colin Powell now on board, we even have Dick Cheney calling for repeal. We need to keep fighting."

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network head Aubrey Sarvis. on Obama, DADT, and the protests:
"In his State of the Union message President Obama said repealing 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' was the right thing to do. But Friday evening President Obama did the wrong thing, and in doing so he and Secretary Gates delivered a devastating blow to getting repeal done this year. Their joint political decision showed a lack of respect for our LGBT service members who are on the frontlines every day risking their lives for our safety.







As a result of the Commander in Chief's decision to defer to Secretary Gates' wishes and timeline, gay service members will continue to be treated as second class citizens, and any sense of fairness may well have been delayed for yet another year, perhaps for another decade. The President did not sound like a fierce repeal advocate. He sounded like someone who wants to have it both ways. And that is not leadership. That is politics as usual."

2 comments:

  1. I don't think Susan Boyle has to worry about looking like Barbie anytime soon!

    Madonna...
    get a record deal...I want new music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Sandy! I want to hug her.

    Susan Boyle- girl, that would be one jell of a lot of plasticc surgery to get her to look like Barbie.

    Doesnt Madge have five kids, or did she break up wiith Jesus?

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......