Thursday, October 08, 2009

LGBT History Month: On This Day In Gay History


October 8, 1904 – In Germany, lesbian feminist Anna Ruhling spoke at an annual meeting of the Scientific Humanitarian Committee, one of the earliest gay organizations. She criticized the women’s movement for not taking an active role in ending the oppression of lesbians.
October 8, 1972 – The 6th annual convention of the Association for the Advancement of Behavioral Therapy was greeted by approximately 100 demonstrators protesting the continued use of aversion therapy in an attempt to alter sexual orientation.
October 8, 1974 – The National Gay Task Force organized a protest over the airing of an episode of “Marcus Welby M.D.” in which a gay man is portrayed as a rapist who preys on the junior high school students he teaches. Bayer Aspirin, Listerine, Gallo Wine, and Ralston Purina pulled their advertising from the episode.
October 8-10, 1977 – In Halifax the first Atlantic Canada Gay Conference of groups in eastern provinces begins.
October 8, 1985 – The Austin Latino/a Lesbian and Gay Organization, was formed.
October 8, 1997 – An episode of “Ellen” titled “Roommates” aired. It was given an adult content warning because of a kiss between Ellen and another woman.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about Ellen, what it that long ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:54 PM

    Lets see, where was I working in 1997. Oh yes, Ernst & Young, LLP.

    We all knew about the lesbian kiss on Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just started full time at my new job and bought the Time magazine w/Ellen on the cover and someone swiped it off my desk when I went to lunch. Great history post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, I know you have heard this already, but you do these theme months so well. Between the gay month and the Black history month I have learned things I didn't know before. Some intresting facts to hear about indeed. Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learn a lot here, too.

    See you when I get back and will think about you! I can't believe the time got here so fast! Yikes! Chicken Little time the last few days! I'm looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great - thanks for the info! rocking!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......