Monday, October 26, 2009

Paul Haggis Resigns from Church of Scientology Over Prop 8

Oscar-winning filmmaker Paul Haggis [he wrote “Million Dollar Baby” and “Crash”, and wrote and directed “In the Valley of Elah”] has left the Church of Scientology over that group and its support of Prop 8. In a letter to Tommy Davis, spokesman for the Church of Scientology, Haggis says, in part:

As you know, for ten months now I have been writing to ask you to make a public statement denouncing the actions of the Church of Scientology of San Diego. Their public sponsorship of Proposition 8, a hate-filled legislation that succeeded in taking away the civil rights of gay and lesbian citizens of California – rights that were granted them by the Supreme Court of our state – shames us. I called and wrote and implored you, as the official spokesman of the church, to condemn their actions. I told you I could not, in good conscience, be a member of an organization where gay-bashing was tolerated. In that first conversation, back at the end of October of last year, you told me you were horrified, that you would get to the bottom of it and “heads would roll.” You promised action. Ten months passed. No action was forthcoming. The best you offered was a weak and carefully worded press release, which praised the church’s human rights record and took no responsibility. Even that, you decided not to publish. The church’s refusal to denounce the actions of these bigots, hypocrites and homophobes is cowardly. I can think of no other word. Silence is consent, Tommy. I refuse to consent.
.....
But I reached a point several weeks ago where I no longer knew what to think. You had allowed our name to be allied with the worst elements of the Christian Right. In order to contain a potential “PR flap” you allowed our sponsorship of Proposition 8 to stand. Despite all the church’s words about promoting freedom and human rights, its name is now in the public record alongside those who promote bigotry and intolerance, homophobia and fear.
....
And I felt sick.
....
This was my state of mind when I was online doing research and chanced upon an interview clip with you on CNN. The interview lasted maybe ten minutes – it was just you and the newscaster. And in it I saw you deny the church’s policy of disconnection. You said straight-out there was no such policy, that it did not exist. I was shocked. We all know this policy exists. I didn’t have to search for verification – I didn’t have to look any further than my own home. You might recall that my wife was ordered to disconnect from her parents because of something absolutely trivial they supposedly did twenty-five years ago when they resigned from the church. This is a lovely retired couple, never said a negative word about Scientology to me or anyone else I know – hardly raving maniacs or enemies of the church. In fact it was they who introduced my wife to Scientology.
....
To see you lie so easily, I am afraid I had to ask myself: what else are you lying about?
....
So, I am now painfully aware that you might see this an attack and just as easily use things I have confessed over the years to smear my name. Well, luckily I have never held myself up to be anyone’s role model. ....
And so, after writing this letter, I am fully aware that some of my friends may choose to no longer associate with me, or in some cases work with me. I will always take their calls, as I always took yours. However, I have finally come to the conclusion that I can no longer be a part of this group. Frankly, I had to look no further than your refusal to denounce the church’s anti-gay stance, and the indefensible actions, and inactions, of those who condone this behavior within the organization. I am only ashamed that I waited this many months to act. I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Scientology. Sincerely, Paul Haggis
full transcript HERE

7 comments:

  1. Thank goodness! I can't believe he joined that church in the first place. He seems smarter than that. At least he's out now and for a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful to find someone that stands up for their convictions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man of integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i say it is only a matter of time before John Travolta does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its refreshing when someone with some celebrity takes a stand on something important. Kudos to Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm often baffled when critically-thinking people get into organized religion. I always assume people see how, through the organization of religion, God becomes secondary.

    However, I also understand how critically-thinking people would seek a spiritual community that can explain or offer solutions to the madness they see around them.

    What is so odd about this Scientology story is that Paul participated for a long time. I think this is because it connected him to a community that would benefit him professionally.

    However, it also connected him to a "church" that requires certain amounts of money, from its followers, in order to continue on a path of enlightenment and cleansing from Thetans.

    God for him he had a moment of clarity and ran with it. I wish him success in finding his path to the divine.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......