Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Not One More


Another young boy has killed himself over being bullied at school; they've even coined a phrase for it: bully-cide. This is getting to be an almost daily occurrence lately, and something needs to be done before we become desensitized to the whole issue.

Jaheem Herrera, eleven years old, hanged himself at his home after relentless bullying at Dunaire Elementary School. His ten-year-old sister, Yerralis, found him hanging in the closet, a fabric belt tied around his neck.

Masika Bermudez, Jaheem’s mother, spoke briefly at the vigil for her son, and after a short prayer, she urged Jaheem's friends to talk to their parents; she begged the parents to listen to their children.

Norman Keene, Jaheem’s stepfather, said the family knew the boy was a target of bullies, but until his death they didn’t understand the scope. “They called him gay and a snitch,” he said, "All the time they’d call him this.”

How did we come to live in a world where this is tolerated, where it is accepted? And please, don't tell me it isn't tolerated and accepted, because there have been too many young boys and girls found hanging in closets for it not to be.

How did we come to live in a world where calling someone gay is such a horrible name that these kids kill themselves to make it stop?

We all talk about gay marriage and equality for gay Americans and equal rights and protection under the law, but children are choosing death over being identified as gay, whether they are gay or not. They would rather die than suffer another moment of being tortured.

How did we come to live like this?

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to hear from the parents of the bullies. How did they take this tiny, innocent baby and turn it into an 11 year old capable of bullying a child to death?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:40 AM

    The same thing led me to attempt suicide at the tender age of 13. I didn't even know for sure if I was gay back then. I was just sensitive and a girly enough to have just about everyone zero in on me. I'm one of the lucky ones because my parents and teachers did care. I was hospitalized for six weeks. I learned how to stick up for myself and to not really care what others thought. Eventually many of the "bullys" have contacted me over the years with apologies. In some cases it's because they see me in their own kids and realize how horrible they were to me. Some progress is good, but not good enough at this point. Teachers should hold the little buggers accountable and take action whenever wherever this sort of thing happens imo.
    Thanks, spleen vented;I feel a little bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, Anon, and glad to see you made it through. So many children don't.
    I, too, was bullied a s the little gay boy, and I retreated into myself and stayed there esxisting quietly until i was about eighteen and found a group of people who liked me for me--not like family who is supposed to love you.
    That made all the difference.
    Thanks again for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......