Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Make the Call


The Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, which is also called "The Matthew Shepard Act" will be up for a vote tomorrow in the U.S. House of Representatives. The bill would amend the federal hate crimes law to include to include crimes motivated by a victim's actual or perceived gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.

Right-wing-nuts are contacting congress at an alarming rate, calling the bill a "thought crimes bill" and flat out lying that this bill will somehow impede on their free speech rights.

It isn't about speech, it's about hate.

The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is asking all of us to take action by calling our representatives. It's easy to do; just call the U.S. Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and tell your representative's office:

* Hate crimes against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are on the rise. One out of every six hate crimes is because of the victim’s sexual orientation.

* Hate crimes have more than one victim. They are intended to create an atmosphere of fear and terrorize entire communities.

* The Matthew Shepard Act targets only violent acts--not speech. It does not tell any clergy member what he or she can or can’t preach.


It's about violence, not speech. If you want to call me names, and tell me what you think of me? G'head. But you do not have the right to harm me, simply because I'm gay.

3 comments:

  1. >>* Hate crimes have more than one victim. They are intended to create an atmosphere of fear and terrorize entire communities. <<

    ah ha! THIS is the argument I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:49 PM

    I posted in the wrong spot, my own fault for not checking frequently enough. I should have known you would be on it like brown on rice. HR1913 passed today at a vote of 249 for to 179 against. My neighbours must have thought I was a real nut. I watched it live and screamed at the telly when some of the people against it spoke. I'm gobsmacked that people really think we're that ignorant of truth. But some of the Reps were so eloquent in their speeches for it. I almost cried and one rep, I didn't catch her name; was fighting back her own tears.
    Baby steps, and the good fight keeps progressing.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:54 PM

    I failed to mention the thought that occurred to me during some of the rhetoric. If many simple hard working, busy, conservative Americans actually heard what they spouted and take it as fact...... Well it's no freaking wonder we feel like we're pulling a flipping semi up a 90 degree incline with willpower alone. I'm sure some people honestly have no clue how nonsensical a lot of what they're told actually is. Blah Blah Blah, I'll jump off my soapbox now, the choir already knows what I'm trying to say.
    Thanks for listening.
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......