Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Drumthwacket Estate Dairy Barn


Oh, this one …. I get Ivy League University and Church, with a hint of Old English estate thrown, and a barn, with this house, and I am loving it. But then the doors open and … I am loving it more.

The Drumthwacket Estate, in Princeton, New Jersey was built in 1899, and this particular part of the estate sits on a skosh more than 2 acres, with six bedroom, four full baths and two half baths. But it wasn’t always a grand house; believe it or not, this used to be the Dairy Barn, one of four Tudor brick outbuildings, on the Drumthwacket Estate.

Yes, it’s an outbuilding. But the barn is now a completely modern home, even with barn doors, huge rustic beams, and soaring towers. There are like custom iron staircases—and an elevator—a state-of-the-art Boffi kitchen, and grand living and dining spaces in the old barn, where the ceilings soar to twenty-six feet, with a huge fireplace anchoring the living space.

A mezzanine library separates the private spaces of the top floor, where there are three of the bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a family room. But this section can also be used as just the master bedroom, since there are three more bedrooms baths in the just completed East wing … which means there is also a West wing. That might be where there have the enormous mudroom, 2 clever dorm-style baths, laundry room and the loft space. Oh, and the wine cellar! And the al fresco Moroccan room. And a workshop and offices and art studio and homework space and a gym. With the slate roof restored and brick repointed under current ownership, there’s nothing to do, except maybe add a pool, and it can by yours for a hair under 4 million.

Any takers?


Click to emBIGGERate ...

7 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!!! This House was literally 5 minutes from the store I worked at in NJ!!!!!!! I always loved it. The exterior is amazing.....the interior.....meh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A barn...! None of the barns
    we used were even close to
    this!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm torn.
    I love the space in the downstairs. Fantastic spaces. The upstairs is a little bit too chopped up for my taste. It was built in the 1800s so.... yeah.
    Fantastic curb appeal.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I could never imagine living in such a place. All that space! And so beautifully appointed. Don't laugh, but what it reminds me of? The set for Big Brother - that terrible reality show. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MM
    I like some of the interior, like the main room, but others seem a bit disjointed.

    @TDM
    I thought it was the main house until I read the full article and realized it was a BARN!!!!

    @Six
    I'm with you.

    @uptonking
    I WAS with you until you mentioned big Brother and now that's all I see! As TDM would say,'Ak!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing spaces. I’ll bet the dairy cows will be elated when they move back in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it in theory, but there is no true en-suite, in that much space I would expect a couple of owners suites. I can't find the elevator on the floor plans. They need more books. For another million I could turn this into something I'd love. I love the courtyard style, being a farm boy at heart the converted barn speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......