Tuesday, February 11, 2020

PR 18 Ep 9: The Tuxedo Episode? And It’s Not MY Tuxedo???

As the show opens, Brittany, Delvin and Marquise are trying to figure out this week’s challenge. Brittany is expecting a curveball and gets it;  Marquise hopes for a menswear challenge and gets it;  Delvin jokes they’ll have to sketch while hanging from a building … not this week.

On the Runway, Christian and Karlie tell the designtestants they'll have two days to reinvent the tuxedo in a modern way. And because tuxedos are hard to make, they also have $600, and an extra pair of hands, via eliminated designers. The twist is that the eliminated designers get to pick who they work with—Oh, the shade—and there's one more eliminated designer than designtestants, so someone goes home again!

Let’s rip …
TOPS AND BOTTOMS
NANCY
Chelsea picked Nancy because she was in the Bottom last week with Victoria and Victoria should have gone home so Chelsey ain’t helping her.

Chelsey and I could be friends in grudge.

Trouble is, Nancy wants to redeem herself from being in the Bottom last week and will create another version of the pants the judges loved in the Ashley Longshore challenge. There really are no new ideas?

Well, maybe at Mood, because Nancy is the only designer who doesn’t run to the suit fabrics, and instead picks a print that Christian loves. What he doesn’t love so much is the design, which he feels is heavy, though on the second day, as she fits it on DD, he remarks that maybe sleeveless is good and Nancy rips off the sleeves.

WHAT SHE SAID
What’s important to me when I design something is how someone feels in it, and DD feels great.

WHAT I SAID
Seen it with bigger coats, and sleeves, and bigger pants.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina doesn’t like the wobbly lapel; and she’s bored by the pant. And if you follow the PR, you know Rule #1 is Don’t bore Nina. Guest Judge, designer Thom Browne, doesn’t see a tuxedo, and called it “safe.”  For Elaine it was a least favorite look because she’s also seen the pants before  and wants to see what else Nancy can do. Brandon is also experiencing Deja vu and not in a good way, while Karlie was overwhelmed by the brocade and underwhelmed by the design.

SERGIO
Booted designtestant Veronica picks Sergio, which oddly shocks Victoria even though the pair had worked together before and it didn’t turn out well.

Right off the bat, Sergio declares that he will make a “backwards tuxedo" because it’s never been done before. I flashback to an Oscars telecast with Celine Dion on the red carpet in a backwards tuxedo. And there it is:


And after his groundbreaking idea, Sergio pins a political statement to the look, saying that since this administration is taking the country backwards that’s why he created the gown. Luckily for us, Veronica, whose help consisted of making  a bowtie, tells us:
“Let’s face it, the dress idea came first. We don’t need to attach a story … but I am not going to get in the way of Sergio’s political statement.”
Oddly enough, Christian sees the look and says nothing—he only mutters ‘Mmmmm’—about Celine Dion, but suggests Sergio edit out some of the black pieces. Christian? Really? You certainly remember Celine.

WHAT HE SAID
It’s very original and I don’t know how the judges could say anything negative.

WHAT I SAID
I’ll sip my tea while I wait.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID

Sergio tells his _____ story and about how the last time America was great was in the 1950s; Elaine is seething. She reminds Mr. Political Designer that the 50s weren’t especially kind to women or people of color so his message is “offensive” and that he should “stick to the fashion.” Nina throws out the iconic Celine Dion tuxedo and says this is a copy, saying, "I'm sure you know the look I'm talking about." Sergio acts like he has no idea, but I am not buying it. Brandon remembers the look and says it shook him to his core, and still we get crickets from Serg-Ego. Thom Browne also plays the Seen It Before card, but does say it’s beautiful, though Sergio’s attitude is a big turnoff.

DELVIN
Tyler picks Delvin because they worked together before, but I thought maybe there was something a little more … though maybe I was just reading a little bromance into it.

But right off the bat, Tyler is worried at the powder blue fabric Delvin chooses; sidenote: I wore a powder blue tuxedo when I was in one of my sister’s weddings and to this day, I cannot look at that photo.

Christian is worried too, and finally breaks through to Delvin with one simple phrase:
“Did you see what Alan was wearing?”
Delvin ditches the blue for a green the color of Astro-turf™ which may not be a wise choice. His other choices—asymmetry, one lapel, a corset—have me worried as well, but he reminds us that he is a master at tailoring.

Still, I begin to hear the rumble of ominous drumming …

Delvin says he’ll be “devastated” if he doesn’t win, and may, in fact, rip off the lab coat, toss it on the runway, and go Victoria on the show.

The drumming grows louder.
Christian says Delvin’s idea is “elegant” though it might feel dated; Tyler blames the Astro-turf™. Delvin blames Nancy, who “borrows” Tyler to fit her look on because he and DD are roughly the same size. Later in the show, when Nancy breaks the button-hole machine, Delvin is annoyed beyond belief and can barely speak.

I can’t hear him though because …ominous drumming.

WHAT HE SAID
I definitely feel like the quality of my garment is unmatched … I’m very confident about it.

WHAT I SAID
It’s a par six on a putt-putt course.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina doesn’t get a sense of tuxedo because of the fabric choice which she dubs daytime. Brandon looks at the suit and the shoes and dubs it “Leprechaun in a corset” adding that the asymmetry and corset distracted from the strength of Delvin’s tailoring. Thom thinks the risks Delvin tried to take were actually “too safe.” At least Karlie thought it was well-tailored …
GEOFFREY
Melanie chooses Geoffrey and he’s thrilled because she grounds him when he gets flummoxed.

Being in the Bottom last week, Geoffrey wants to “pull back” this week and not be so loud. And why his style may be loud, I think a good edit might do him good. He doesn’t like the idea of a traditional “monkey suit,” so he’s switching it up by doing a jumpsuit; also a risk, because he’s done those before, though this time he has a male model.

Christian is again amazed that Geoffrey does a full muslin look but gets worried about all the satin shoulder work that he calls “dated”. Geoffrey listens and takes it down another notch, though he couldn’t help but go big on a bowtie.

WHAT HE SAID
Reinvent the tuxedo? Nailed it!

WHAT I SAID
The proportions seem off to me …the waist feels very low.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina loved it and said it was “very minimalist” for Geoffrey; she was not a fan of the big bowtie, however. Brandon thinks the model looks like a waiter in that bow tie—with a margarita no less—but says “the tailoring is so beautiful.” Thom Browne thinks it “hit everything” and “stayed true to the challenge.” Elaine also loved it … except for that tie.

MARQUISE
Again, Marquise floats my boat, but when he was picked by Sha’Vi, I was out to sea; they are both so adorable, and so truly nice. I’ve a good feeling about this and I haven’t even seen their model yet.

Lawd.

Marquise likes gender-bending fashion mixed in with military details … think ‘Don’t ask, Don’t tell me I don’t look fabulous’. He wants to do a pleated tuxedo jacket in blue, with black pants and a skirt. At Mood, he also grabs a graphic print, and for a moment Christian is thrilled, thinking it’ll make a coat; but it’s “just the lining.”

Luckily, Marquis gets a model that is not only the hottest man in the workroom, but who could rock any look. His model, Taurean, removes his shirt, and the workroom screeches to a halt, and my TV goes on pause for, um, several minutes while I, um, watched … yeah, watched. I loved Sha’Vi’s giggle at both the model and the reaction, but I was jealous that Sha’Vi got to put hands on Taurean.

But I digress … Marquis has pleated the entire coat and done a buckle detail at the shoulders making it even more edgy. But then comes the crisp white shirt, and while Marquise doesn’t have to do any darting for a woman’s breasts, Christian does stroll by to note:
“Does it fit? Even with all that chest?”
Yum. It does, though it stays sleeveless for the Gun Show.

WHAT HE SAID
Everything is new and different with this tuxedo. I’m definitely playing with gender norms.

WHAT I SAID
It’s so good. This is something I want and would wear and set Smallville on its ear.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Karlie says, “Where do we begin …” and Elaine replies, “With the model,” before Brandon asks, “What is your name?” Elaine cannot believe Marquise did all that in one day, while Brandon notes that Marquise, with great ideas and help from Sha’Vi, has really pulled off a great look. Nina loved the drama and thought he looked “regal,” “poised” and “powerful.” Thom Browne called it amazing and masculine and loved the “male cleavage”—which he dubs the bare ankle, while I did wonder for a minute about showing off Taurean’s pecs. Thom had one quibble; he would have pleated the skirt.

VICTORIA
She is the last designer standing at the start and when Alan gets last pick, he and Victoria are stuck together.

But when he asks her what she wants from him, she tells him to “Relax. Don't worry." Oh, and bring her water. Up until the very end, that was his contribution; finally, though, she “allowed” Alan to make the garter belt … then proceeds to cut the fabric herself, and then take it back from him and cut it again.

Victoria wants to do a power gown with big shoulders but strays away from cut-outs and straps and weird sleeves and, well, whining about being in the bottom.

We’ll see …

WHAT SHE SAID
I really like how Thijin looks in my dress …sexy .

WHAT I SAID
She lucked out with her model. The dress is good, but I don’t get tuxedo, really, so once again Victoria does Victoria.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Nina called it a “nice play” on a powerful woman who embraces her sexuality and femininity. Elaine says Victoria knows how to make a woman feel sexy, while Brandon loved the back detail. Thom called the look “amazing,” but didn’t think it really reinvented the tuxedo.

BRITTANY
She’s the first chosen in the Button Bag game and when Jenn picks her, Brittany is less than thrilled; Jenn went home first so Brittany doesn’t even know what she’s capable of doing.

And so that begs the question of Brittany, why, then, did you opt to do menswear—something you’ve never done before—with the assistance of someone about whom you know nothing? Either she’s full of herself or she’s a lunatic. I pick B … as in Brittany in the Bottom.

And it gets worse; at Mood she picks shades of gray which she regrets as soon as she gets to the workroom. But she does have a print for the lining, so that will become the jacket, though there’s not enough fabric for the print to become a pant. Christian suggests maybe use the satin—but be careful because everything shows—and make a short.

A badly fitting short under a badly fitting jacket. No words, other than, “It’s awful.” And awful as it turns out, she ended up having both Jenn and Alan—set free by Victoria—help her. Three on a tux, and you get this? Oh, my …

WHAT SHE SAID
I think it’s not my best work, but I have taken the biggest risk.

WHAT I SAID
The trouble is, this is not Project Risk, and you don’t win for that.

WHAT THE JUDGES SAID
Elaine said it was “hard to look at.” With the skinny lapels, the flimsy, cheap shirt, she named it “douchey Hamptons party.” Brandon said it was “a mess,” while Thom Browne said the proportions were off, and that shorter shorts might have been more daring and modern. Shorter? They’d have been boxer briefs … in satin. Nina says it was hard to see her at the bottom with this look, but there were, ahem, “technical difficulties.”
Sergio’s copy won’t win. Nor will Geoffrey’s restrained tuxedo jumpsuit. It boils down to Victoria and Marquise. A beautiful gown, or a gender bending regal tuxedo on the hottest guy in the room?

Yassss, Marquise takes the win, and not just because Taurean is delicious. His look was the best.

As for the losers, Delvin is safe; it comes down to Brittany and Nancy, who thinks she’s going home for “not the worst look.” But she’s wrong.

It’s Brittany, bitch. She’s out. And should be because her look was the worst and the worst look should go, unless it’s last week and it’s Victoria, but …

We have a Siriano save! Christian uses his one save to pull Brittany from elimination. I don’t like her, but she has been relatively good all season, so, yeah, I’m not that mad.

As the designtestants talked about Sergio not knowing about the Dion Tuxedo, he said he was in middle school so how could he possibly know? Well, Sergio, Brandon is a year younger than you, and may  have been in elementary school and he knew. You’re just so full of yourself, you blocked Celine Dion from your mind. Something I do with her music, but I digress.

Gosh, do I love Sebastian Grey’s accent, even though I have one of my own at home. Still, he brought carbs and sat for a minute and then was gone? Not fair.

After the first day, Alan shouts "grab your good heels cuz we're are going out” for what he called  "living my New York moment." His New York moment is cocktails and charcuterie on an abandoned roof followed by a game of Corn Hole? And not at  all the kind of corn hole that assume Alan usually plays.

Victoria complaining that Nancy keeps doing the same silhouettes and designs was the height of delusional.

LINES OF THE NIGHT
Tyler, as the judges rip Delvin’s look:
“Does this mean I’m in the Bottom four times?”
Like that has never happened? Gurl?

Alan, after he realizes he’s just Victoria’s water boy:
"Victoria is definitely a solo designer. She doesn’t work well with other people. She barely works well with herself."
Truer words …

Christian, at the model fittings:
“I like boys in the work room.”
I like that trio of boys wrong together in the workroom. I’d take the middle of a Sha’Vi-Marquise-Taurean triple decker sandwich.

Tyler, on Marquise’s skirt:
“I like the jacket. The skirt, however, is just a rectangle wrapped around his waist and left to flop in the wind. This morning, when I showered and wrapped a towel around my waist, that was a better constructed skirt.”
Says the jealous queen who went home for ugly.

Jenn, on Sergio’s suggestion he’d never seen the Dion Tux:
“Because you were in junior high you didn’t see the most iconic look? That’s bull sh*t.”
That’s right; though the most iconic Oscar look was Cher in 1986, when eh wasn’t nominated for Mask and showed up like that, telling the crowd from the stage:
“As you can see, I read the Academy handbook on how to dress like a serious actress.”
That’s iconic.

I love when Karma smacked Delvin and Brittany after they trash talked Nancy’s design, but both ended up in the bottom with her.

I loved the male models, of course, but I also loved that the PR offered non-binary models, too.

Speaking of male models … I scoured The Goggle for hours until I could some up with Taurean’s full name: Taurean Everett. He’s an actor, model, dancer, singer, who appeared recently on Broadway in The Cher Show. He’s also a beautiful homosexual who was named the Broadway HERO of the Month last Summer for his work with HIV and AIDS organizations. Hot, sexy, pecs to die for, abs you could use as a washboard for laundry, gay and compassionate. Yes, I have another Husband-In-My-Head. Bite me.

The Tents? Marquise, please, because I want to buy his clothes. Sergio? God. Geoffrey might put on a show. Brittany and Victoria? Perhaps. Delvin and Nancy? I dunno.

Next week: a Tie-Dye challenge and Leslie Jones. Yasss.  Hopefully Victoria will freak at the tie-dye and wander off?

What did YOU think?

3 comments:

  1. I like your Tuxedo best
    of all!
    Lots of pats and loves!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the dogs' mother. Thanks so much for the pictures of Taurean. I can eat him up with a soup spoon! Now I won't have to watch this episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I will have to watch this.
    Also, Taurean. Damn!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......