Monday, August 06, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad

A photo of Dad taking a photo

So, after spending one weekend in Washington, the DC variety, I went ahead and went to that other Washington, the state, to celebrate my father's birthday with my sister and brother. It was the first time we'd all been together since my Mother passed away; it's hard to co-ordinate California, the very PNW and South Carolina into one place at the same time, but we did it.
And it was nice to be all together again, laughing and joking and telling stories. We made a birthday dinner for Dad of my Mom's tacos and my sister baked my Dad's favorite birthday cake: Lemon cake with Lemon frosting.
Lovely day. 
We also celebrated Dad's big day with a sunset cruise on Bellingham and Chuckanut Bays. So, so beautiful, and spurs in me a deeper desire to live there. Mountains, water, what else do I need. Well, they make some good wines and cheeses so there's that, too. The bay ride was gorgeous, sunny, blue skies, sail boats. Peaceful. The only thing missing was Carlos, who couldn't make the trip since he just started his new job last June. But, we'd both visited the Bellingham area last year and put it on our list of places we could live, so, who knows, maybe......
And my Dad took us to the Marine Life Center in Bellingham where he—Dad is a retired science teacher--volunteers. Very cool place. One of its main goals is to raise awareness of marine life and our impact on it, and to promote stewardship of that marine life through interaction. They also "improve, restore and maintain marine habitat for fish and invertebrates living in Bellingham Bay."
All well and good, but, besides the fascinating exhibits and the touch pools and the octopi, what I loved most was watching my Dad--on his day off--talk to very young children about the MLC and what they do. I watched as he got as much joy out of showing crabs and sea stars--once known as star fish, I learned the they are not fish, but are invertebrates, so they are sea stars--to children as the children did seeing, and touching, the marine life.
It's very cool, at my age, to learn something new about your father by watching him do something he loves. And he does love the chemistry and the sciences and the biology and environmental issues.
I missed the bus on most of those, sadly, but there’s always time for your Dad to educate you, I guess.
Happy Birthday Dad. It was a wonderful trip.
The Whatcom Museum in Bellingham
Bayside silos. I dunno why.....
Picturesque views.
Bayside Victorian.
Bayside modern.
Bayside solitude.
Bayside Must Have!
What a way to spend a sunny afternoon, eh?
Mt Baker from Bellingham Bay
Amazing shoreline
A quiet little inlet.....
Usually my calamari is fired and served with marinara, but this is good, too.
A beautiful birthday!

12 comments:

  1. Glad such a good time was had by all!

    Loved all the years, as a kid, we lived on water up there. My mother wasn't so pleased when I picked up mussels, brought them home and stored them in the pocket of my robe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post cous! So glad you guys made that trip to celebrate My Favorite Uncle's 80th bday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:51 PM

    I'm glad you had a great trip, and it is sooooo beautiful up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very poignant story about your father. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's nice Bob that you have a close relationship with your father. I am happy for you and happy birthday to your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful celebration of your dad's life. i hope to be able to do that kind of teaching as well when i retire from the classroom.


    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice post and pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post for your dad!

    and if you and carlos move to WA, your marriage is recognized!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Pops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday to your Dad! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and what beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A tale of two Washington's, what a great journey. Glad you could be there for your Dad's 80th.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful trip for all of you, your dad included. Lovely pics, lovely warm memories. And a thought for your future, Washington may soon have marriage equality. You and Carlos could tie the knot!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......