Wednesday, August 22, 2012

And Now For Something A Little Uplifting

Jordan Addison
After four posts about the idiocy that is the GOP in 2012, I needed to do something to cleanse the ick from my blog, and this story seems perfect:

Jordan Addsion goes to college at Radford University in Radford, Virginia, about an hour or so outside Roanoke, and like most college students, money is tight, and, so when his car was vandalized, three times on-campus and once at home, he struggled with how to pay for it.

He also struggled with the idea that his car was vandalized because he's gay. The first time his car was targeted, there were anti-gay slurs keyed into the car, and another time actual dye was keyed into his car. The slur was written across one side of this car and he tried to everything to cover it but nothing worked.

"The lowest estimate I got just to fix the damage to the doors was like $2,500 and for a college student that's a lot of money," says Addison.

Richard Henegar Jr, and
Richard Henegar Sr.
Richard Henegar, Jr., the manager at Quality Auto Paint andBody--the link is in case you want to go to their website and say Thanks--in Roanoke, heard what happened to Addison: "Once I saw the vandalism that was done to it I said that's uncalled for we're gonna fix your car that's the least we can do."

And he did. He spent nearly 100 hours in the last two weeks working on the car. he gave it a new paint job to hide the offensive language; but he also gave Jordan Addison new tires for his car, and tinted the windows, put in a new stereo and added a security system to it. All told, Richard Henegar put over $10,000 into fixing Jordan's car simple because he thought what had happened was "uncalled for."

But Henegar wasn't the only one footing the bill. There were ten other businesses that helped: Parts Unlimited in Vinton, Advance Auto Parts, Moon's Auto Body, Rice Toyota, Val's Automotive, The Rod Shop, B&C Exterminating, Twists & Turns, AJ's Landscaping, and Sunnybrook Auto Spa.

The new and improved car was unveiled to Addison on Monday.  He was speechless.

So, I wanna give a big ISBL shout out to Richard Henegar and his friends who helped right a wrong, not because the damage done to Jordan's car harmed them personally, but because it was wrong.

source

9 comments:

  1. all smiles here! restores my faith in humanity to do the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know there are good people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exceptional human beings! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when a bad situation can be made a little better by really good people...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A twelve years ago I had my car keyed, totally. Over $5,000 to completely repaint the car (which was only a year old). Even the Subaru words were keyed including the glass windows. The hatred of gays is out there. I too didn't have to pay 1 cent, not even my deductable. The hatred shown to me was devasting but the kindness by those who made my car new was awesome. I am glad this young student's situation had a similar happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:26 PM

    I think it is fantastic that area businesses restored his vehicle and even improved it.

    Makes me believe that there is still some good left in people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very touching story indeed! I’m glad that the kid got his car fixed, and at no cost, too! The body shop did a great job with his car, it looks good as new! I applaud them for putting so much effort into making sure the teenager’s car was repaired after what had been done to it. I’m sure he’s happily driving it around town and showing off the amazing work of the car shop.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......