Thursday, June 07, 2012

Random Musings


My father really knows his weather. I think he should go on TV as the Psychic Weatherman.
Last Sunday was a gorgeous day In Smallville. So, gorgeous, in fact, that Carlos and I spent a great deal of time working around the yard. Weeds were pulled, plants were moved, hedges were trimmed. But it was gorgeous out; slight breeze, maybe 80-degrees.
Then, as we sat in the living room later that night, my father called because he'd heard we'd had bad, stormy weather on the weekend. I said Nope. Quite the opposite, in fact.
That night, all hell broke loose. Storms, rain, lightning, thunder. And it carried on for two days.
I think I’ll be asking my dad for a weather report from now on.

So, Adele was on NBC last Sunday. Little snippets of an interview and footage from her concert at Royal Albert Hall--which was fabulous. I have the DVD but I cannot not watch and listen to Adele.
When it was over, while waiting for The Big C to come on, I was channel surfing and came upon the MTV Movie Awards. I lasted about three minutes into Russell Brand's monologue.
He is, seriously, the least funny person I think I've ever seen. How he has a career boggles my mind.
And it isn't about British humor--I love British humor--it's simply about not being funny.
And I will not stand for that!

So, North Carolina has been all kinds of crazy lately--and Carlos and I will be headed up there at the end of the month, so I'm kinda scurred--but nothing about churches and The Gays and the Constitution and The Gays beats this story.
A North Carolina woman has been charged by police with castrating a man.
With.Her.Bare.Hands.
Excuse me a sec.
Ow! Ow! Ow! 
Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! 
Ow! Ow! 
Ow! 
Police charged Joyce Maxine Gregory, 35, with malicious castration and assault inflicting serious bodily injury.
Excuse me a sec. "Malicious castration"? I, as a member of the male persuasion, think all castration is malicious.
Anyhow, police say that Joyce was arguing with a 59-year-old man and she got so mad that she squeezed the man's testicles out of his scrotum. 
Hang on again.
Ow! Ow! Ow! 
Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! 
Ow! Ow! 
Ow!
Doctors said the man's injuries could be repaired with stitches but still.
That Joyce is quite something, eh? And, to prove that, after being handcuffed and placed in the back seat of a police car, Joyce took off her pants and urinated in the police car.
And folks in North Carolina wanna put me behind a fence?


I don't like beauty pageants; I may be one of the few gays that don’t. They've never interested me except after the fact, like when Carrie Prejean got all anti-gay and shiz.
Well, now there's Miss Pennsylvania, Sheena Monnin, and apparently she is so royally pissed off that she has decided to leave the organization.
Sheena gave up her state crown because the Miss USA pageant was fixed, she says, but organizers say she gave them a different story in an e-mail she sent to them this week.
Let's start with the now: on Facebook she said, "I will relay to you the reasoning behind my resignation. I witnessed another contestant who said she saw the list of the Top 5 BEFORE THE SHOW EVER STARTED proceed to call out in order who the Top 5 were before they were announced on stage."
But Sheena didn't leave when she ALLEGEDLY saw the list. No, she stayed and smiled and strutted around in her bikini, and only when she lost did she bring up the list.
However, and I love a good however, now the story is that she left the pageant because she had an issue with transgender contestant, Jenna Talackova, being allowed to compete.
The Miss Universe pageant released her first e-mail to them, saying the organization had strayed by allowing transgender participants in the pageant: "I am officially and irrevocably resigning the title of Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012. I refuse to be part of a pageant system that has so far and so completely removed itself from its foundational principles as to allow and support natural born males to compete in it. This goes against ever moral fiber of my being. I believe in integrity, high moral character, and fair play, none of which are part of this system any longer. I hereby return the title of Miss Pennsylvania USA 2012."
I think she's really Miss North Carolina, eh?
Or, at least she should be.

Okay, and more new from here in South Carolina.
The story goes that at a high school graduation in Florence, the principal announced at the beginning of the ceremony that the senior class had requested the crowds remain silent during the reading of the names so all names could be heard.
Sounds fair, right? And the announcement went on to say that those people who shouted out would be asked to leave.
Sounds fair, right.
Well, one woman screamed and shrieked and hollered as her child’s name was announced and she was asked to leave.
In fact, she was arrested.
Now, I think she was arrested because, after being asked to leave, she refused, and security was called, the police were called, and she was then arrested for disturbing the peace.
Carlos and I had a discussion over this because he thinks it's insane.
I, however, think it goes like this: you were told to be quiet or you’d be asked to leave. You weren't quiet, and so you were asked to exit. You didn't and the police were called.
Extreme? Yeah, maybe. But all the commotion this woman caused, took away from the graduates, and the parents of those graduates who couldn't hear their own child's name being called because this woman couldn't keep her lips zipped.
Seriously. Be quiet.
It isn't all about you.

I follow boxing almost as much as I follow beauty pageants, so I don't know this guy, but he makes me wonder about the dangers of the sport.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao, who just last month caused a ruckus by coming out against marriage equality, talked with USA Today about his upcoming bout with Floyd Mayweather and, of course, as happens when boxers are interviewed, the subject of The Gays and marriage.
Pacquiao said, again, that he’s against marriage equality and thinks gay people are committing a sin: “No, I don’t support gay marriage. I do not agree with that, but I am not condemning gay people. But what I oppose is the sin they commit.”
This from a man who takes punches to the head?
Gimme a break.

6 comments:

  1. When the naked blow up doll got passed around the section of kids, during the twins' graduation, it was all over for decorum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    Yet again we are in agreement. I don't see one iota of "funny" in Russell Brand. Nothing, nada. I'm glad I'm not the only one. For awhile there I was beginning to think I was slipping into old age miasma.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your dad is amazing!

    Russel Brand? bah, he is soo unfunny, its not even funny.

    Ow!! Holy cats in ink! What was wrong with that woman? That poor poor man.

    Ok, I've about had it up to Mars with stupid, inane beauty pagents, ya know? Churchill said it best, pretty is fleeting, but dumb is forever.

    I hated the other parents at graduation. For crying out loud, its not like they invented the cure for cancer, jeesh. They graduated. From high school. Not that hard. And getting easier each dumbed down year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't go to North Carolina! Don't spend one gay dollar in North Carolina. Don't buy gas in North Carolina, don't buy food in North Carolina, don't go to North Carolina! YOU ARE NOT WELCOME THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also right there with you concerning Russell Brand. And I love British humor, so it isn't that. And I agree with you at graduations. When my son didn't want to go through the ceremony, I didn't make him. People in a small gym with loud noise makers do not make for a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the graduation incident.

    Your dad really is a weather psychic!

    I've never liked beauty pageants.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......