Friday, June 08, 2012

I Didn't Say It ....

Michelle Obama, video-posting about marriage equality:
"This is an important issue for millions of Americans, and for Barack and me, it really comes down to the values of fairness and equality that we want to pass on to our girls. These are basic values that kids learn at a very young age and that we encourage them to apply in all areas of their lives. And in a country where we teach our children that everyone is equal under the law, discriminating against same-sex couples just isn’t right. So it’s as simple as that."

How anyone can teach their child to discriminate against anyone is beyond me.
Discrimination is discrimination and it's wrong.

Jane and Joseph Clementi, Tyler Clementi's parents, rejecting Dharun Ravi's "apology" as insincere:
“As to the so-called ‘apology,’ it was, of course, no apology at all, but a public relations piece produced by Mr. Ravi’s advisers only after Judge Berman scolded Mr. Ravi in open court for his failure to have expressed a word of remorse or apology. A sincere apology is personal. Many people convicted of crimes address the victims and their families in court. Mr. Ravi was given that opportunity but chose to say nothing. His press release did not mention Tyler or our family, and it included no words of sincere remorse, compassion or responsibility for the pain he caused.”

Here's how this should have worked, Dharun. You look the Clementi's in the eye and tell them you're sorry. You don't make the apology about you and the kind of person you say you are, but you simply say, 'I'm sorry.'
Is that so hard? No, no for a person who actually shows remorse, which you do not.

David Caton, still up in arms over Disney's Gay Days, and comparing LGBT people to gang members:
"Dozens of gang members visiting Disneyland in California have been evicted after entering the park wearing gang colors according to Kenneth Green, Director of Corporate Communications. He said the company was concerned the groups might intimidate or invoke fear in the hearts of regular patrons. So, Disney can see where a dozen people wearing gang colors might be offensive to regular families but not thousands of same-sex revelers wearing shirts that flaunt and promote homosexual, lesbian and transgender behavior."

LGBT people in red shirts are the same as gang members?
Well, then all those religious wingnuts like Caton who show up in public wearing their Bible-thumping attire should be drummed out of Disney, too.
The LGBT community is not a gang. We don't intimidate or invoke fear by existing.
Unlike your ilk. Asshat.

Kelly Clarkson, on what she will not do for her career:
''I don't want to wear no stiletto. I am not a model and I am not Beyonce. It is not going to happen. This is such a funny industry. Sometimes I turn on awards shows and pop stars are wearing alien costumes. I'm like, 'That's cool for you, but ain't no way in hell someone is going to convince me to wear that on stage.''

Here's the deal: some people just sing, because they can. 
Other people need fireworks and scantily clad backup dancers and wind machines and big hair because, seriously, they cannot sing without the use of autotone or a tracking vocal.
Kelly doesn't need any of that mess.

Greg Louganis, on triumphing over his bullies:
"I almost want to thank all the bullies in my life: the ones who called me 'n*gger,' 'retard,' 'sissy boy,' and 'f*ggot'; those who threatened to throw punches at me and took my lunch money at the bus stop; those who actually threw punches at me and rubbed my face in asphalt; my dad, who whipped me with his belt until I did a dive I was too scared to do in my regular practice; the coaches who belittled me and intimidated me into pushing myself beyond what I thought I was capable of; and the man who raped me at knifepoint, whom I then stayed with for another six years."

There are all kinds of bullies and all kinds of bullying.
No matter your age, your talent, or your success in life.
It has to stop.

Queen Latifah, still ALLEGEDLY n the closet, saying she did not come out at long Beach Pride even while saying she was glad to be "among her people":
“That definitely wasn’t the case. I’ve never dealt with the question of my personal life in public. It’s just not gonna happen.....To me, doing a gay pride show is one of the most fun things. My first show that paid more than $10,000 was in a gay club on New Year’s Eve in San Francisco. Tupac happened to be in town, so he came to kick it with me. This was the early ’90s. And the boys were like, ‘Take your shirt off, Tupac!’ He wasn’t doing that. But we had a blast in there.”

It's a shame she feels that way.
Sad that she has to put that wall up when she does interviews and demand that no one ask about her personal life.
Sad that she can't, or won't, come out, because,. if she did, she'd do wonders for lots of Black LGBT youth.
But she chooses to live in fear and denial and masking it by saying she wants to keep her private life private. if that were truly the case, then why does she talk at all?

Peter Tatchell, British activist, on the Queen's alleged homophobia:
"While I doubt that Elizabeth II is a raging homophobe, she certainly doesn't appear to gay-friendly. Not once in her 60-year reign has she publicly acknowledged the existence of the LGBT community – or gay members of her own royal family. The Queen has turned her back on queens. While she has spoken approvingly of the UK's many races and faiths, for six decades she has ignored LGBT Britons. Judging from her silence, it seems that we are the unspeakable ones – the people she cannot bare to acknowledge or mention in public. Why the double standards? Regardless of whether these omissions are a reflection of the Queen's personal views or the result of advice from her courtiers, as monarch she bears ultimate responsibility. Her silence sends a signal of exclusion and disrespect." 

Wow. Sixty years and not a word about The Gays.
And we were all up in arms over Obama's evolution on marriage equality?
The Brits have felt that sting for sixty-effing-years!

David Mixner, on the evangelical call to kill gays: 
"The temptation, of course, is for thinking people to cross these preachers of hate off as right wing religious crazies. Their attempt to be the moral police of America is more like the Taliban than a thoughtful discussion taking place in a democratic setting. Not taking them seriously, however, would be a mistake."

All it takes is for the wackadoodle words of one of these "men of god" to be put into action and then we'll all feign shock at how this could happen.

Martin Short, on Mitt Romney
“I’m sure he’s a very nice man. I’ve never met him. I find it fascinating, though, for a party that seems to fear gays as much as they do, that now the Republicans have fallen head-over-heels for a big stiff one.”

I know Short is joking, but I'm not so sure Mittsy is a nice man. 
I think he's coldly calculating and working toward keeping the rich rich, and the poor poor.


3 comments:

  1. I suspect Disney doesn't want gang colors in case two gangs run into each other, say on the tea cup ride, and fall to brawling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:48 AM

    Dang, it's messed up when Queen Elizabeth believes there should only be one Queen of England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I grew up in the gang-banging streets of L.A. Gay men do not behave like hood rats you moron.
    2. I feel so, so, so sorry for Greg Louganis and all the hell he had to go through. I'm sending him some love right now through the ether and hope all those bastards who made his life hell reap what they sow.
    3. Queen Latifah ... you have to respect her wishes. No one should make any one feel like they have to come out.
    4.David Mixner is Satan. Only he doesn't know it.
    5. Martin Short .... LMAO!

    SMOOCHES!
    xoxo
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......