Friday, November 27, 2015

I Didn't Say It ... Giving Thanks Edition

Chris Hemsworth, on passing the 'Sexiest Man Alive' baton on to David Beckham

“Although I knew for the last 12 months this day would come, it still hurts. As I fade into my weathered wrinkled exterior, I hope my time will be remembered then forgotten then forgotten some more (insert crying music). P.S. It’s what’s on the inside that counts. P.P.S. David Beckham is so dreamy and has cool tats.”

On this day after Thanksgiving, I am thankful that Chris Hemsworth is around to be my Sexiest Man Alive every year, and that he's secure enough in himself to call Beckham 'dreamy.'
Chris is the dreamy one.
Jenny McCarthy, on Charlie Sheen’s HIV+ reveal: 

“Playing even his love interest on the show, back in the day, I go, ‘Ick! That’s not fair. It’s scary.’ I have sympathy for him because, you know, he’s sick and it’s awful, but man, he’s going to have to take some major accountability with many people in his life.”

And, still giving thanks, I am thankful that most people have a brain that fully functions and don't act so foolishly when it comes to HIV.
You’re an idiot, Jenny. Vaccines. HIV. You’re an idiot.
Chloë Grace Moretz, actress, on her family and her two gay brothers Trevor and Colin:

“To see my brothers struggle with the anxiety of having to come out was awful.  … People would call them the F-word, and I would get so angry. It was really hard to see my brothers be hated on or bullied, so I stood up for them. We shouldn’t be using these terms to create more labels and segregate us further apart than we already are…Back when my mom was in college, when things were more taboo, she had lots of gay and trans friends, people of all shapes, sizes, and colors. So we were a very open household. My mom tells us people asked her, ‘Why are you letting your son run around in a pink Power Ranger costume?’ Her answer was: ‘Because he wants to wear it, and it makes him smile. Why would I take that away from him?’”

And I am thankful that there are sisters, and families, like this one in the world.
Lily Tomlin, on why she waited to come out to her mother:

“The one reason I didn’t come out more fully, really, is because I knew it would hurt my mother. She was so southern, so Methodist, she believed so much in Jesus … My mother was pretty traditional. Most of my relatives? Same thing. That generation would be horrified, 20, 30 years ago, if I’d announced it to them. So I never did.”

And I am thankful that times have changed, and parents, even southern parents, have decided to love their children, no matter what their orientation.
Mike Rawlings, Dallas Mayor, on how ISIS is no more Islamic than the Nazi’s were Christian:

“I am more fearful of large gatherings of white men that come into schools, theaters and shoot people up, but we don’t isolate young white men on this issue.”

And, lastly, still giving thanks, I am thankful that there are politicians who aren’t afraid to call out hypocrisy, and to call out the NRA, and call out this country’s love of guns and gun nuts.

3 comments:

  1. :-) happy leftovers day! good collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add to my "things I am thankful for' list was 'wise, loving people'. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. families can be most h8ful (like mine). but I am thankful for your friendship, bob (and carlos too)!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......