Monday, November 23, 2015

He Just Wants Is To Use His Real Name

Last year, Facebook stirred up a hornet’s nest by stirring up a bunch of drag queens with a rule that said there can be no Facebook accounts under fake names.

You know, because, for example, Bianca Del Rio isn’t her real name; it’s Roy Haylock. Well, that would be all well and good but I only know, and am Facebook friends with, Bianca, not Roy.

Luckily, the backlash subsided relatively quickly, and drag queens could keep their accounts, and people with too much time on their hands could keep the accounts for their cats and their dogs and their birds.

Still, one young man has continued having his Facebook account deleted because he refuses to use his real name … or does he.

Phuc Dat Bich is not a badly spelled rap song lyric, but the actual name of a 23-year-old Vietnamese-Australian who has had his Facebook profile shut down multiple times over accusations he was using a fake name.

And so he set out to prove he was Phuc by sharing an image of his passport online.
"I find it highly irritating the fact that nobody seems to believe me when I say that my full legal name is how you see it. I've been accused of using a false and misleading name of which I find very offensive. Is it because I'm Asian? Is it? Having my fb shut down multiple times and forced to change my name to my 'real' name, so just to put it out there. My name. Yours sincerely, Phuc Dat Bich,"
He originally posted this last January, but it’s been only the last week or so that the photo surged on Facebook, with more than 128,000 likes and 68,000 shares as of Friday.

And, in case you ever come across Phuc and want to pronounce his name correctly, here’s how to pronounce it:
Fook Dat Bick. Not F**k That Bitch.
Bich did not respond to a request for comment from The Huffington Post, probably because he’s over this whole mess, or didn’t want to stir up that hornet’s nest again but, think about this:

If Phuc were to change his name on Facebook to say, Phil Dan Bish, to avoid getting banned, he would be guilty of violating Facebook's real-name policy.

And he’d be banned. Phuc dat.
Huffington Post

4 comments:

  1. there was a restaurant here with a relatively familiar name.
    no complaints that i know of :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an Facebook, but seems to me to be a royal pain in the ass with all these guidelines and rules. Back when I was still performing, which I wanted to use my account for adverting club dates, they wouldn't accept Mistress Borghese. But now there is drag book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34918491 have you seen this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Helen
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    I was loving that story so much. How could Phuc do Dat to me????

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......