Wednesday, December 08, 2010

We Need A Christmas Miracle

John Toomey has been playing department store Santa at Macy's in San Francisco for over twenty years, and he is quite the popular one. But now, just before Christmas, Toomey has been fired after a couple complained that a joke he told them was inappropriate.

What's this? He's joking with kids and not just listening to them?

No, he was told that his Kris Kringle services would no longer be needed because of the objections from an older woman and her husband who visited him.

John Toomey: "When I ask the older people who sit on my lap if they've been good and they say, 'Yes,' I say, 'Gee, that's too bad.' Then, if they ask why Santa is so jolly, I joke that it's because I know where all the naughty boys and girls live." 

Toomey said it was the first time anyone complained about the joke, but first time's the charm, and he was given the big black Santa Claus boot. Toomey also made it clear that he never uses the joke with children.

f course, a Macy's spokeswoman had no comment about the firing because it's a personnel matter, but word is that many store employees were distraught that Toomey was let go.

Toomey, meanwhile, hopes to get work at parties and other stores: "I've got my Social Security and some savings, so I'll be OK. But I sure do miss being Santa."

And he'd still be Santa if a couple of Grinches hadn't decided to ruin Christmas.

source

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 AM

    I LOATHE people who are SO politically correct about the holidays and Christmas.

    Those old bitches should get over it and appreciate the joke for what it was - A JOKE! And they're adults, too - what the what!?

    It's obvious he was catering to his audience at the time - adults. And if they can't take a joke in the manner in which it was given, then I hope they get coal in their stocking for Christmas!

    I hope the names of the people who complained are published and published broadly. Name, address, EVERYTHING! Maybe shove a candy cane up their &&$^##^%!

    Yeah! I said it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the War on Christmas continues. I'm guessing the "offended" watch Fox News.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......