Monday, December 27, 2010

After.....

I'm starting to feel like my old self again, you know, sarcastic, dramatic, annoying, so I must be truly on the mend. I have the use of both eyes now, though I have some very unattractive scabs along the bridge of my nose which make it hard for me to wear my glasses. The swelling is gone, but I look like I've been hit by a truck, at least from the right eye up.
It's always something.
Last Friday I made my first trip out of the house in over a week when Carlos and I ran down to WalMart for a couple of things we'd forgotten for the weekend. I bundled up, and pulled a knit cap down over my forehead, though you could still see the scab ring around my eye. I was petrified I'd end up on 'Peopele Of WalMart'! But we were in and out and I saw no one I knew.
Saturday morning, after some coffee and gift exchanges, I once again bundled up, though this time I left the knit cap at home and tied a red bandanna around my head, covering my wounds, and we went down to the Round-The-Way-Gays, Neal and David's, for a Christmas breakfast. We had a great meal and a lovely visit, and my fashionable headwrap was quite the hit, if I do say so my self.
Then it was back home, and resting, until it was time to prepare our dinner. We had a simple meal of baked ham, with roasted brussel sprouts, and rosemary roasted potatoes, with Carlois' special homemade cranberry sauce and his pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. It was such a lovely mellow, do-nothing sort of day.
There had been talk all week of snow in Smallville for Christmas, but, as usual, we're a day late. We had a White Day After Christmas. We woke up to snow all around and snow falling for most of the day. Ozzo went out, and came right back in; he's not a fan of icy feet, unless of course the icy feet are running after his ball, so Carlos took him out several times for him to get some, um, things done.
We drove down into Columbia to run a couple of errands, taking the back roads, and it was such a pretty drive, with everything white and Day After Christmas-y. We get about one snowfall a year, and it sends most of the area into a tizzy. What to do? Where to go? What about church? Is it open? And if it isn't--and most weren't--would God want us to After Christmas Sale?
Carlos and I hit the grocery store, and then came back home for naps.
And that was Christmas in Smallville. Just peaceful, and healing, and snowing, and relaxing, and lovely,
How about you?

7 comments:

  1. Overall it was good. It had its bad moments but I survived the holidays and I'm getting ready for New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just keep losing people to The Bug From Hell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling better. Miss your posts, but at least it coincided with my limited access to internet. Yes, that was me being selfish.

    Sending scab healing vibes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, with all you been through with the The Great Shingle Sickness of 2010, it sounds like you had a fabulous christmas and made the most of it! We too got a lot of snow and their were lots of tizzes to go around. But I spent it on the couch with egg nog (the spiked kind) and a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely Bob. We had a great time on the 24th and 25th at Amanda and Aaron's. E & S t(he kids) we super charged up and that made it all the better. Stan's at his mom's now. Hopefully, he will survive without too many battle scars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you and Carlos had such a lovely Christmas, Bob! I'm especially glad to hear that you're on the mend. What a terrible thing to have to deal with! Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that you are well on your way to recovery, and that you enjoyed a nice Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......