Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Modern English Tudor

First off, one of my favorite bands, Modern English, and combined with a Tudor, I style I don’t care that much for, but in this case it works.

This hoMe, a Tudor from the 1930s, is hidden behind mature hedges and century-old oaks in the coveted Los Feliz Oaks neighborhood of Los Angeles. The home has been extensively redesigned, while retaining much of the character of the old home but tweaking it a bit for the 21st century.

The 3,960-square-foot, four bedroom, five-and-a-half bath home has new European oak chevron floors, custom hand-finished limewash walls, marble floors, and walls, and a new updated kitchen with a French La Cornue range on one side of the kitchen. Natural light pours through new custom steel kitchen doors which open onto a new pool and pool deck. The far end of the kitchen includes a bar nook with a wine fridge.

The original fireplace in the living room is still a focal point, and an original wood-paneled library doubles as a workspace or a small den.

The arched openings are a central element of the aesthetic, though many are not original but done to create a greater sense of consistency and form, such as the arch at the top of the stairs framing a small window.

Upstairs the primary suite includes a small office, a private sun deck, and a bath with marble surfaces and dark wooden floors, a large, walk-in shower and freestanding tub; a reeded glass door opens to the toilet room.

Outside a pathway leads to the guesthouse, which has a completely different feel with its concrete floors and wood-beamed ceiling; it does include living area and kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. The lush backyard includes, other than the pool, a dining patio with an outdoor fireplace as well as an outdoor living room.

Like I said, Tudor ain’t my thing, but this one is moody and opulent and modern and bold. I like that.

30 comments:

  1. First of all, I don't know a Tudor from a pupil, but I don't like it! Secondly, who poured ugly all over the toilet room walls? A drawing and quartering are called for, asap! That ugly, big ass mirror will bring at least 700 years of bad luck if dropped.
    The pool is cute, though. Also, I can hang with mature hedges or old bushes. Can you tell that I know nothing about architecture and home decor? I just know what I like and dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tudor’s not my thing either, although there’s a lot I like about this place. However, the bathrooms make me go BLECH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a gaudy bathroom, and that giant tub screams soak-a-thon to me!

      Delete
    2. It’s not the gaudiness that turns me off (although the wallpaper and vanity top make me a little dizzy), it’s the weight and patterns of those vanity tops and the dated but not dated enough faucets. And, yes, I love that soaking tub... not that I ever soak.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:43 AM

      I prefer light color bathrooms. Easier to clean.

      Delete
  3. See, I like this. I like the Tudor style. Still too much white, but with a couple of gallons of Behr Ultra I could make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can take the white because it shows off the art. Odd that i say this because there isn't a single white wall in our house!

      Delete
  4. The owners have a real fondness for uncomfortable-looking chairs. Lots of good stuff here but also lots of bad. Eminently fixable, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, would lose some of the furnishings because, while perhaps stylish, they don't look comfy!

      Delete
  5. I love a Tudor if done right. I can work with this. The wallpaper in the bathroom was chosen with ones eyes closed while flipping through samples and what was selected will be hung. I see. Yea, when you buy the home the seller's tastes will be taken out. But still some folks tastes are questionable at best. I look for the bones. I like. PS-it is home not hone in your post. And no I am not one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a wild and bold choice for a powder room because, seriously, how much time does one spend in there?

      Delete
  6. AK! That huge mirror in earthquake country!
    Nice outside as always.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine they'd have it secured to the wall. I would!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. There is a lot I like about this. There are a few decorating decisions I can't say I agree with, but I like the feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always change furniture and paint, but the bones are there!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Love it! Yes, a few things would have to go but I think it's a beautiful house. Those black and white stripes on the diagonal in the hallway! And that bathroom, nothing pretty about but every-time I'd go in there I'd get the giggles, I love surprises like that in an otherwise perfect set-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't giggle in the loo, life is not worth living.
      And I love the floors, too!

      Delete
  9. The interior design is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, though a couple of small changes might be in order!

      Delete
  10. Very nice.
    I usually don't like Tudor style houses (too imposing, too self important, too 80's, of a specific time). But this one is cute. I like the interiors. Not that powder room with the huge roses, though.
    And Los Feliz is bougie as hell.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Los Feliz because they don't automatically tear down the houses to build some monstrosity, but let the older homes live.
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. I love everything except the diagonally striped floor and the giant mirror in the dining room.
    I have a vinyl album titled Modern English, also one titled English History, by an Aussie rocker named Jon English who you have probably never heard of. He died 6 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know job English, but I love Modern English.
      I love those striped floors, too!

      Delete
  12. Sometimes you need to see what you don't like, to really understand what you do. There are too many things to fix here. When are they going to install the rest of the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the storage for the kitchen is in that breakfast nook counter area.

      Delete
  13. This is lovely. I don't like the tile in the entry way. I don't like the white couch, though I like the design... it just can't be white. The round table in the dining area is a huge mistake - destroys the flow of the room and looks awkward. The wallpaper in that one bathroom is a travesty - so overpowering in such a tiny space. And the bedroom needs a lot of something... it looks under designed. The rest works for me. Adore that kitchen (though I wish the ceiling was higher.) I could cook in that kitchen. Thanks for sharing this. You have a great eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except I love that tile and that small bathroom wallpaper!😁

      Delete
  14. Somehow I knew right away that house was in LA. It's very old Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Los Feliz was Beverly Hills before there was a Beverly Hills.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......