Thursday, July 14, 2022

MaxGoldberg

While living in Miami, Carlos and I were visited by our neighbor, the Witch. She wasn't a real witch but she always wore black and was not what you would call friendly. She used to call the HOA on us because we left yard refuse by the curb too long, so she was more of a bitch than a witch, I guess.

Anyway, as we ate dinner one night, she knocked at our door, and stood there holding a little gray kitten in the palm of her hand. Someone had tossed the little guy over her fence and then run off. She couldn't keep him because her cat Morris didn't like strangers. Didn't like strangers? That darn cat was living with the strangest one of all, but I digress.


Carlos worked at an animal hospital back then and took the little cat to work and got him all his shots so he could be put up for adoption. We had a brood of cats of our own and didn't think we could add another, but then I saw that little cat’s face and was done … I stood up for the little kitten ... and begged for the little kitten ... and won the little kitten.


So Max Goldberg, of the Boca Raton Goldberg's, became our newest cat in the Spring of '05. Tuxedo hissed and spit at first; clawed and ran away from Max, at first. But they soon became best friends who played together, ate together, slept together, fought together, and then sat together yesterday morning for the last time.

Max was diagnosed with kidney issues and wasn’t keen on the new diet, or the medication, and so his health diminished. When we had him at the vet’s office last month his numbers had gone up and the vet suggested that all we could do was make him comfortable and happy until that day came.

Yesterday. MaxGoldberg was sitting alone, head bowed, unmoving. He didn’t eat, didn’t sleep with us, didn’t get on the bed. As I worked in the office, he came in and meowed several times and it didn’t sound right, didn’t sound good. I told Carlos I didn’t like Max like this, in pain, isolation, hiding, and so we made that decision.

At the vet’s we found out that he’d lost almost two pounds in the last month, so we knew this was the right thing to do, no matter how much it hurt. We held him and kissed him and cried and told him we loved him, and then he was gone.

But enough about that … let’s talk MaxGoldberg through the years. He was our most neurotic cat, tearing through the house and throwing  himself on the bed like a spoiled teenager every time he was reprimanded. He was the cat who hair-balled the most and would, yes, run down the hall and throw himself on the bed after leaving his mess because he knew his daddies weren’t happy.

But he was also the one who would sit in my lap and when I asked if he wanted a kiss, he would turn his face down and let me kiss him on top of his head. He was also a Desk Cat, who loved nothing more that settling in front of the computer screen, or behind it, while we worked on the computer. He sat with us in the evenings, going back and forth between our two laps; he slept with us every night, and lately he would make a nest between both our heads and fall asleep with Carlos and me petting him; he sat at the breakfast table while we ate, having his morning chat. He loved us, but strangers he almost always hid from, under a bed, until they left his house and he’d come out again.

He was a beautiful, sweet, neurotic, loving, crazy cat that lived with us for 17 years … until yesterday ... and I will miss that face forever.

RIP MaxGoldberg

You were loved and you loved us right back.

PS I'm going to take a few days, I think, before I feel like blogging again.

35 comments:

  1. I am so terribly, terribly sorry for your loss. The loss of a child is always devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, so sorry, take time and take care of yourself,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This broke my heart. It does every time. Give yourselves as much time as you need to grieve. Hugs to you and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did the last loving thing we can do for these dear ones. His memory will always be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for your loss. I am not a cat person but we did lose our beloved dog Benni last year so I do understand how difficult it is to say goodbye to a member of the family. Condolences to you and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so so so sorry for your loss. Our pets are everything to us as well and it's never easy to make that decision, even when it's for the best.
    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farewell, MaxGoldberg. What a lovely cat you were, and loved so much by your humans. You gave him a beautiful home and a wonderful life for 17 years. My condolences, Bob and Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:12 AM

    You were brave to do such an incredibly difficult but right thing. I'm crying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:17 AM

    So very sorry for this most difficult time for you and Carlos. Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to your sweet kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:17 AM

      From krayolakris

      Delete
  10. I have no words, just tears for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry for your loss. Losing a family member is never easy. Take all the time you need, dear. You are in our thoughts. Wishing both you and Carlos great peace. Max was loved. In this life? There's nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a cat person - but if I'd seen that lovely kitten I think I would instantly have become a cat person and adopted him too. So sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buddy, you take all the time you need. My heart cries for you and with you. I just wish I could be there to hug you and Carlos in person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. RIP dear Max. Bob, I am so sorry for yours and Carlos' loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It gets you doesn't it when those you love die. But look on the bright side; Max Goldberg was a much loved cat; just think what his life could have been without you and Carlos. He died happy with you and Carlos with him; what better way to go?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear about Max. He sounds like a character. It's always hard when pets go, partly because it's like closing a book on a whole chapter of your own life. At least you were there for him, and he was there for you, and that's all any of us can hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous12:53 PM

    I’m so sorry to hear this. 17 years is a good run but it’s never long enough. You both and Max are in our thoughts and hearts. - Terrill & Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sorry to hear about this, Bob. My condolences to you, Carlos and Tuxedo. Rest in power MaxGoldberg.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's the problem with having pets, they don't live nearly long enough ..Hugs for both of you and yes, take some time ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3:33 PM

    I am so sorry. Giving thanks for all the love and care Max shared looking after both of you. Be kind to yourselves during this very tender time.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. Reading your post brought back memories of my beloved Murphy and his last days and the decision I had to make to put him down. May your memories of Max bring you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry! Thank you for sharing memories of your beloved Max and I hope that those memories become a comfort to you and Carlos as you navigate this loss. Hugs to both of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry for your loss. What an adorable little face.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Max was a beautiful boy! It's always a tough decision to make, but they let us know when they've gone as far as they can and then we have to step in! It hurts a lot and for a long time!
    You and Carlos need some time to yourselves ... we'll be here when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This:
    "Max Goldberg, of the Boca Raton Goldberg's"
    I'm done. Sending big hugs.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry :(
    I love the photo of the two cats hugging.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so sorry for your loss, sweetpea! Take the time you need, I know what you're talking about. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am sending you both enormous hugs from here in Spain. How lucky you were to have found each other and to have 17 years together. I fell in love with Max Goldberg immediately because of his name and then because of your stories. My heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry to hear about Max!! I know for sure that Max had a good life full of love. Peace!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so sorry... I hope the Sweet Memories of Dear Max sustain you thru your process of Grief.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry to read that about your little kitty. Such a pretty cat, and I feel as though I have a bit of a kinship with that name. At least you have other "kids" to still warm your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am so sorry to read this. Only good thoughts of you and Carlos from me. I know how hard it is.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......