Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Amaya in St. Helena

I’ll start off like this: I am not getting Japanese-inspired, I’m getting modern farmhouse in this giant, seven-bedroom, eight-bathroom St. Helena, California home that sits on 41 acres and recently sold for $26 million. That’s a lotta Yen for a house that doesn’t scream Japanese.

Still, those views of vineyards, valleys, mountains, and Lake Hennessey make the house that the architect says was inspired by the skillfully renovated Meiji-era homes in Japan. In 2020, the architect reimagined the existing house using cedar, steel, and glass—and improved the flow of air and light throughout the enormous property, which includes a main house, a studio, a large guest house, and a guest studio.

The interiors were designed using European porcelain, maple flooring, and custom millwork, with large glass sliders that flood the interiors with light and connect almost all of the home to exterior decking and the pool.

The main floor features living and dining rooms, an open concept chef’s kitchen, dining nook, and sunroom surrounded by glass. The upper level has three en suite bedrooms with those amazing views of the rugged hills, valley vineyards and the lake. There is also a home theater, with Sony 4K projector and Sonance surround sound.

On the lower level are two additional guest bedrooms with a shared bathroom, a kitchenette, a bar, a wine cellar, and a generous living/dining area that opens to the pool terrace.

Next to the main house, there is the three-car garage, an expansive study that opens out onto a patio and lawn, with a large gym and massage and meditation room on the second floor.

A short walk away is guest house tucked between tall madrone trees. It offers two-bedroom suites, an airy living/dining room, and a kitchen; an adjacent guest studio includes an ample storage closet and a two-car garage.

The home, er, homes, also feature a smart technology suite that includes energy-efficient Nest thermostats, electronic shades, Lutron lighting, and Sonos sound systems—all of which can be conveniently controlled by a smart phone—custom lighting and radiant floor heating.

This is an entertaining house, with upper- and lower-level living areas, an outdoor kitchen, and decks with views, an expansive pool deck, as well as walking trails, a fruit orchard, olive trees, a rock garden, and raised vegetable beds. A tennis court and a heated saltwater pool round out the package.

Nice, blank slate I am still not getting Japanese-inspired anywhere. I’m getting gorgeous $26 million blank slate where there are beautiful views through gorgeous windows, and then some not so nice small windows. I’m getting a lot of white, and I don’t mind white in the public area so the art and views are the show, but in bathrooms and bedrooms and TV rooms and such, I need some color.

If it hadn’t sold, I’d have offered $24 million and then spent some money on paint.

12 comments:

  1. I like the outside. The inside gives me glorified rehab center vibes (not that I've ever visited a rehab center, but still.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, too white and no trees. I like trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stepmother is Japanese. I lived in Japan and Okinawa. I don't see "Japanese Inspired." I can work with it. Cut down some of the white add a little color. Love the views. I wouldn't know what to do with something that big. I could just lease it out and live in the guest house. That seems perfect. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the house(s), but you're right, that's very loosely iinspired by Japanese architecture (I can see Japanese in the minimalism, but that's about it). I love the rooms and the views, though.
    I agree with most everybody about needing some color and some warmth.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos must be the real estate agent's staged pics, right? The house and site are gorgeous, but all of that seems diminished by the coldness of the interiors. 2 orchids in the photos and no house plants? No interior life at all, but yeah, if I had the money, I'd buy it, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. DH and I would spend all our time
    to find each other. And the dog.
    Loverly views!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning, especially for the floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors that makes it feel there's nothing between you and that beautiful view!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool look. Nothing Japanese about it. Obscene size and price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't even consider it. Too big, too white. It doesn't look as if it were made to be lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd have to pretty well nope the whole thing, other than the view. Too bland (even the furniture) and the kitchens are too minimal for me. Maybe it would be good as a retreat, doing yoga and meditating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good grief ... you would need to have a full-time window washer living in the guest house!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......