Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: The Barn in Tivoli

In the village of Tivoli in Dutchess County, New York, a charming, renovated homestead with a 19th-century barn and 1970s cottage sits on a picturesque, 4.5-acre lot on the banks of Stoney Creek.

Sounds a little like a fairy tale, and this fairy likes it.

The property, which is for sale, is called The Barn in Tivoli and contain four bedrooms and four baths spread across two buildings  that the current owners fully remodeled and updated to equip the buildings with updated appliances and both employ sustainable and energy-efficient solutions where possible.

The 1,860-square-foot barn features timber-clad walls and a Vermont Castings woodstove in the Great Room along with a chef’s kitchen with new appliances, a sleeping alcove, and a full bathroom. A second bathroom, along with two sleeping "nooks" and a lofted bedroom are on the second floor.

Just a few steps from the barn is the "salt-box" cottage, built in 1972, with a more modern-feeling interior. The 1,400 square feet cottage has an updated kitchen with chestnut cabinetry, as well as a large living room with a Morsø woodstove, and a sunroom overlooking the pond and surrounding landscape. The second-floor features two light-filled bedrooms and a full bathroom with a soaking tub situated beneath impressive, operable skylights.

But it isn’t just the two homes; in addition to transforming the buildings, the current owners created a fenced-in, edible permaculture forest and kitchen garden, along with several varieties of fruit and nut trees, berry bushes, flowers, herbs, and vegetables. There are fire pits, a creekside yoga deck, and outdoor shower as well.

The home, er, homes, were listed at $1.9 million but have been sold to a lucky buyer who may turn them into a holiday home rental.

24 comments:

  1. They did a nice job!
    Loves the fire pit outside.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for a firepit!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Too woodsy and too much like camping for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire the way the house was saved and reconfigured, and I like the property and such, with the gardens, but it's a wee bit too much for me.

      Delete
  3. This is not my style at all, but they did a spectacular job. A beautiful place... for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me, Mitchell, same thought!

      Delete
  4. I personally believe that wood should be an accent not an in-your-face statement. Way too much wood. I can smell the lumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of the house, but not for me. I'm seeing splinters ... everywhere.

      Delete
  5. I like the more modern cottage more than the main barn. One can't help but wonder who can afford to plunk down $1.9 million for an investment property that will simply be a holiday rental. (A lot of people, I know, but it still appalls me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the barn, but not for me to live in. I guess you could live in the cottage and rent out the barn to help with the mortgage?

      Delete
  6. I will take the cottage!! As long as we have Wi-Fi and central heat and air I will be set-or some other option. Checking the yearly weather it seem the highs for the year are the mid 80s. That should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cottage does seem a bit less rough and woodsy, so you probably have your WiFi and HVAC!.

      Delete
  7. I like it and can appreciate it, but it's not for me personally. Although the middle of nowhere does it for me. Now if I was a boochie bitch, this would be perfect for glamping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mistress' Glamping Barn has a nice ring to it!

      Delete
  8. They did a great job renovating, really.
    It's a little bit 'camping' for me, but I understand the charm. Would love a 'country house' like this, though...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a wee bit more refinement.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:12 PM

    You had me at edible permaculture. -- Anne Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nah, too much wood. I like wood, but not that much. Plus I live in Australia, land of the bush fires, a building like that would be ashes in no time. The interior is nicely laid out though and the setting is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the setting and the edible garden and forest sell me, but the barn? Not so much,

      Delete
  11. The furnishings are dreadful. The house - lovely. The setting... perfect. I like all the warmth. Macramé? No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the furniture; clearly rental furniture.

      Delete
  12. Ahh, yeah, no. Not for me. In the main barn, they call that a kitchen? A ladder to the upper floor, for 1.9M I want an elevator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire what they've done, and love the eco-friendly aspects, but it's a bit too "lumber yard" for me.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......