Friday, July 01, 2022

I Didn't Say It

Andrew McCarthy, former Assistant US Attorney and current Fox News legal analyst, on Thing 45 and January 6:

“[Thing 45] was clearly aware just moments before he took the podium that you had a mob of heavily armed people. The critical thing he says is ‘they’re not here to hurt me,’ which implies that in his mind, he knows they’re here to hurt someone. And the second thing he says, which I don’t think has gotten enough attention, ‘they can come in, they can hear me, and then they can march to the Capitol.’ So he’s very aware that you have a mob that’s armed to the teeth that he is planning to encourage to march on the Capitol. And then as the testimony ensues, we find out that he not only intended them to do that, he wanted to participate, he actually wanted to lead them down there. That knowledge opens up the possibility that you could prosecute for aiding and abetting the intimidation of federal officials, which is a pretty serious crime.”

I’ve always said what will seal Thing 45’s fate is his own mouth and this is laid out perfectly.

He knew; he aided; he directed.

Good on a conservative pundit on a conservative channel for saying so, though, I know, the rabid MAGAts won’t hear it.

photo

Yesli Vega, Virginia Republican US House nominee, asked if she’s heard that it’s “harder for women to get pregnant from rape”:

“Maybe because there’s so much going on in the body. I don’t know. I haven’t, you know, seen any studies. But if I’m processing what you’re saying, it wouldn’t surprise me. Because it’s not something that’s happening organically. You’re forcing it. The individual, the male, is doing it as quickly. And so I can see why there is truth to that. It’s unfortunate.”

Yes, a woman, thinks any other woman’s body will reject a pregnancy outright if it results from rape.

Clearly this woman’s body rejected her brain eons ago.

photo

Willie Carver Jr., Kentucky’s 2022 Teacher of the Year, who is gay, is leaving teaching because of the anti-LGBTQ+ sentiment AKA ‘Don’t Say Gay’:

“This was not an easy decision; I have cried quite a few times trying to make it over the past few months. But, ultimately, I have always wanted to be in the place where I can most make a difference in the lives of the next generation. I believe that UK [in student support services] is where I can do this. I also increasingly find that, as a queer person in K-12 education, I have been unable to do that work without facing discrimination, heartache, and being a part of systems that cause harm, though I am immensely proud of my brilliant, hardworking, and fierce colleagues who have and continue to change that system in defense of students. I also know that I symbolize potential for some students. I symbolize potential for students who come from poverty, for Appalachian students, and for LGBTQ students [but] of late, I feel beaten down. I’ve withstood it, but it’s hard to find peace or happiness when you’re under attack.”

This is what the GOP is doing, taking dedicated teachers and running them out of schools simply because they’re LGBTQ+. And teaching these next generations that being LGBTQ+ is a terrible thing; the GOP spreading hate and intolerance and self-loathing.

How lovely.

photo

Chelsea Handler, on Kevin McCarthy calling himself and the GOP pro-life:

“By the way, Kevin McCarthy, since you mentioned it, let’s talk about what it means to be pro-life. Universal healthcare, that’s pro-life. Restricting guns, that’s also pro-life. Fighting climate change, , that’s also pro-life. Listening to doctors during a pandemic, also pro-life. Not forcing women to give birth like livestock: pro-life. But your party opposes all those things. Calling Republicans pro-life is like calling OJ Simpson pro-wife.”

Simple and direct, with a stab of truth-filled sarcasm at the end.

photo

31 comments:

  1. Chelsea Handler always lays it out. I adore that woman. How anyone would want to be associated or admit to being a Republican in this climate is rather embarrassing and appalling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Republicans who like being Republicans aren't Republicans but are MAGAts.
      Chelsea is spot on, as usual.

      Delete
  2. Much as I would like to think that Willie Carver jnr will receive a welcome this side of the pond, I fear he will be disillusioned. It most likely won't be because he is gay but because the teaching profession here is overloaded. My niece has just thrown over a good teaching job because not only was she working 12 hours a day but they wanted her to teach Latin to primary school kids. My niece doesn't know Latin and would have had to teach herself in the 12 hours normally allotted to sleep, eating, leisure, cleaning her home, laundry and travel to work amongst other tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, the UK he referred to was the University of Kentucky where he will work in student services.

      Delete
    2. Like Helen, I misread his 'UK' too, but am now reassured. All the very best to him and any who make the same move.

      Delete
    3. I should have clarified when I posted the quote.
      Nice to see you, sir!

      Delete
  3. Yesli Vega probably thinks that you can't get pregnant if you "do it" standing up. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get men being stupid about rape, but a woman? Goddess help her.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Chelsea sums it up perfectly. I doubt if Vega has had any type of sex, consensual or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right on both counts.

      Delete
  5. If I were in a church service, I would be raising my hands above my head and shouting Amen, Brother Bob after each of the remarks in your post today!
    I'll just say Amen, Brother Bob - preach on.
    You have the Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still riled up about that Radical Religious Right Court.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Let me at Yesly. That's a no. But it's also one of the most used conservative talking points when it comes to rape.
    And Chelsea is totally right. You know the Xtianists are not pro-life. They're pro-power: for them.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women cannot make their own healthcare decisions, but their bodies are powerful enough to stop a rape pregnancy.

      Delete
  7. "He knew; he aided; he directed."
    Yup!!!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they nail him for it.

      Delete
  8. I'm sure Willie Carver Jr won't be the only dedicated teacher that Kentucky will lose with this stupid policy, not to mention all the young lives of LGBTQ+ students that will be needlessly and cruelly scarred by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's insanity. Lose a great teacher because of The Gay.

      Delete
  9. I'm sure the DOJ is looking at quite a number of Trump's comments and his actions; assholes always make mistakes. Yesli? She's as stupid as the female GOP candidate who said women can regulate the intake of sperm. Chelsea's correct. Antil-abortionists will always lie and call themselves Pro-Lifers because they feel it makes them look more positve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing 45's own mouth, and ego, is his worst enemy.

      Delete
    2. I feel much sympathy for Willie Carver Jr.. He should be carrying on his good work as a Kentucky teacher and positively influencing his colleagues. Instead, he is being driven away by prejudice and bigotry. Kentucky's loss is going to be Great Britain's gain.

      Delete
    3. Let me clear something up, Yorkshire. In his quote, the "UK" he speaks of is the University of Kentucky where he will work in student services. I should have realized that UK in Carver's quote might mean something entirely different to people in the actual UK.

      Delete
  10. Keep sharing these posts up, Bob, because I'm finding it difficult to stay positive. I keep thinking the folks on the mouth breathing, knuckle dragging right will eventually clean the wax out of their ears and shake the cobwebs out of their heads and finally realize WTF is happening here AND THAT IT IS GOING TO EFFECT THEM, TOO! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there was some positive this week. Sometimes it's all nasty quotes.
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. The line of the week, "is like calling OJ Simpson pro-wife.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea's comment was perfection, and then she sealed the deal with that last line.

      Delete
  12. All good ones. I REALLY hope Trump lands in a jail where every prisoner hates him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Chelsea! I'm sorry to hear about Willie Carver but it can't be easy to be a gay public school teacher in Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......