Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: Desert Courtyard House

What to say about this house ... I love it's austere exterior, the monolithic style of the front that seems to suggest a dark, cavernous feeling inside, that seems to suggest that there's nothing to see here.

But when you enter the 7200 square foot home, it's glass and tress and courtyards and water and desert landscapes. It's your own world, almost.

Wendell Burnette Architects built the home using soil excavated from the site, creating a structure of concrete and rammed earth walls surrounding a central courtyard. During the day, that open space is defined by a ribbon of glass, while at night the glass seems to vanish, and the steel plate ceilings become one with the night sky.


And I love that about this house; it’s like several different vibes all in one space.



Wendell Burnette Aarchitects


8 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a post apocalyptic compound that was found this year on American Horror Story. I can just hear Ms.Vendabel clicking her cane on those floors!!! It is sleek... but a bit to cold and modern for me. I'd feel like the dowager countess living there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's different! I'm working on my positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to wild about the barbecue - there's no grill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. I’d love to live in the desert and this would fit the minimalistic bill for me.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always loverly views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fact that it seems nondescript and then BOOM. Water and little gardens soften the brutalist appearance. I approve.
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. @MM
    I was trying to think of what it reminded me of from the outside and you totally nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the view... and the light... and the fire pit... and those yellow chairs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......