Tuesday, January 01, 2019

HNY 2019

I love the New Year ... the freshness of what may be; the thought of infinite possibility; the idea that I am another year older.

Okay, that last one ... not so much. But, as I used to tell my sister, who was annoyed that I never seemed to change—and never mind that portrait of me in that attic ... nothing to see there—The Gays are not allowed to age so I’ll take that extra year and run with it.

Still, I do look forward to doing more, and learning more, thinking more, reading more, loving more, laughing more. These aren't resolutions, as I don't make resolutions because when I do, my resolutions last about as long as it takes me to say resolution. These are promises and wishes, hopes and dreams.

So, I'll leave y’all to have a good day, with a repost, and a little revision, of previous New Year’s Day thoughts:

The more things change :::blibbety blah blay bloo touch me::: the more they remain the same:  I am a believer in happiness. I had parents who told me that happiness is all you really ‘get’ in life.
Things don't make us happy, at least not for long, because something newer and shinier always comes along. I’ve learned to live by the idea that I should want the things I have, and not have the things I want.
And you can't expect other people to make you happy either; other people have their own ‘things’ that don’t necessarily fit into your life. Sure, other people can add to your happiness …Exhibit A, Carlos… but you either have it to begin with  or you don't.
If you don't believe that, just look around at all the sad, angry, lonely faces you pass on the street. Happiness is something you possess, that you give out, and get back. We're responsible for our own happiness, each and all of us; responsible to find it, to hold on to it; to nurture it and share it.
Without happiness in ourselves, for being ourselves, how can we expect to live fully and completely. We suffer loss every day; I've had my share and, sad to say, I know there's more to come, but I feel happy in the memories I have of those who've gone on ahead, and happiness in what I still see and hear, feel and know, around me.
I know it's hard to be happy when times are hard; these days especially with that feeling of gloom settling in over our country. But times can change; we saw that last November when we, collectively, stood up, voted and made our voices heard. This person is just a speed bump, and he, too shall pass, and we’ll be better for it.
I have learned, from my past, from my life, from living as an openly gay man, an unapologetically gay man, in this world, that it will get better. 
I have learned, from my Father the Teacher, never to stop studying and reading and speaking and, yes, even ranting; the more you learn, the more you grow, and understand, the more happiness you can accept. The world changes every single day and its up to us to change along with it.
I have learned, from my Mother the Nurturer, to care for things, for people, for animals, for life; to make each day better for those around us, and to make it better for ourselves in the end. I was in the room when my Mother passed away and there was such a feeling of peace and of happiness, for all we shared, and a sense that, even if she was gone, she would never be truly absent from my life.
I have learned, from my Sister the Temper, to speak up; why sit quietly and just let things happen? My sister never ever stood silently by; you never wondered where she stood on any subject because she told you where she stood. I learned to stand up and demand the things I wanted, the happiness I wanted. I learned not to settle for less.
I have learned, from my Brother the Father, to hold close to family; never let them go; whether it's the family you were born into, or the family you created out of necessity; hold on to them, and protect them, and love them. I have learned, especially, in the last few months, that even when you think you’ve lost everything because your house went up in flames, you still have family and friends and love and happiness.
I have learned, from my Husband the Optimist, how to actually let go and be in love and damn the torpedoes; how to be open and honest and know that it won't hurt; how to love yourself, and everyone around you. I have said this before …I am happy with Carlos every single day … maybe not all day, but every single day I realize how happy I am, how happy he makes me, and how happy I make him.
Once again I ealize that I have not only learned happiness, I’ve earned it; and I am responsible for it. It is, after all, all you really get in life.
And so, I’ll end with this tune, Over the Rainbow, and this artist, Eva Cassidy, because it makes me happy …and what a way to start a New Year.


13 comments:

  1. best to you and yours in 2019!

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truer words... we do earn our happiness, learning it alone doesn’t make it that worthwhile.

    HNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to you and Carlos. I look forward to another year of reading you.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, wise words. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HNY to you and dear carlos and the furkids!

    how is your brother doing, BTW? please to post an update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I beautiful post, Bob. All the best in 2019 to you, Carlos, and your fur family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bestest of wishes and a heartfelt thank you
    for all the fun, news, wit and wisdom you
    bring your faithful readers. xoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much love to you and Carlos! Your blog is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you and Carlos an ultra-fabulous 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful post, and words to remember. We are responsible for our own happiness. I hard lesson I had to learn. I liked the video at the end...this version is beautiful. I look forward to your blog posts in 2019.

    ~Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this.. and for sharing hopefulness. (Oh, and for sharing stories of your life and of Carlos, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another of your post I always enjoy reading. Happy New Year to you and Carlos!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year to you, Carlos, and the 4-legged family members.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......