Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Walled Garden House

While it’s a rather lovely house, what makes it interesting is what surrounds it: the ruins of multiple old stone sheds and outhouses that were restored to retain the history of the site and form the backdrop of the new build.

And that new build is two distinct A-framed volumes, one of which is a 2-story section where the upper floor cantilevers over the lower to create a covered entrance walkway, while the other A-frame is a simpler single-story volume. These 2 volumes are connected with a flat-roofed single-story building that gives the two distinct structures space to stand independently of one another and allow light to penetrate into the walled garden. It also helps to reduce the scale of the building to reflect the scale of the surrounding old stone structures.  The new buildings are a mirror L-shaped reflection of the existing stone ruins that create the walled garden between the new and old.

The building's materials are a celebration of the locale; the stone cladding used on the lower section of the new building is reclaimed from the fallen stone walls on site and so it’s as old as the stone structures yet crafted in a modern manner to highlight the contemporary addition to the site.

Atop this stone cladding is a Tyrolean plaster band that runs around the entire house, tying the different volumes and materials of the house together while a black corrugated metal roof—which mimics the roofs on nearby agricultural buildings—covered the entire home. In addition taken to creating a house that, while very modern, mimics the old buildings, is also quite environmentally friendly. The house is built using prefabricated panels of light gauge metal steel, is super insulated, has triple glazed windows, a mechanical heat recovery system, an external air source heat pump, is extremely airtight, and has roof-mounted photovoltaic panels. The house achieved an Irish Building Energy Rating (BER) of A1, the highest possible grade. 

Now that’s all good, but is it nice? Well, there’s a spacious Great Room with living area and fireplace, dining room with glass walls on two sides, and a sleek modern kitchen. On the same floor are laundry, storage, powder room, and the primary suite with bathroom and walk-in closet. On the second floor are a media room, guest room with en suite bath, and a third bedroom and bathroom.

It's all very sleek and rustic, old stone and metal, and walls of windows to the countryside.

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:12 AM

    the dog's mother
    Nice to see old houses and
    buildings made useful in modern
    times.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, but again, that neutral pallet is for neutral people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am decidedly not neutral.

      Delete
  3. You had me at 'reclaimed'.
    Also, the idea of integrating local materials in the construction of a house is genius (and enviironmentally friendly, natch). Nice touches of color, they complement the peaceful feeling you have all through the house.And that CLOSET!!! And you know I don't like closets that much..

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for a bit more color, and some nicer furnishings, I'd move right in.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. It's a clever idea, using the old walls. And I like the touches of blue in the otherwise VERY neutral decorating scheme. That closet, though, is out of hand. There are hungry people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the closet; even together Carlos and I couldn't fill up that space, so maybe make that desk area an office and call it a "cloffice"?

      Delete
  5. This makes me home sick for Bucks County. Do you know how many homes look like this there? Now while the inside is a little too sleek and cold feeling to me, nothing that I couldn't warm up with my furnishings, I actually like the wood floor in the bedroom and I love the bathrooms and kitchen. But the outside with all that stone is what would sell me on the home alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the interior, but agree it needs some color and warmth, but it is the outside and the views that make this a lovely spot.

      Delete
  6. "It’s hard to know who the star of the show is when you look at the finished product. Is it the house — a prodigiously sharp and crisp modern interpretation of a traditional agricultural shed — or is it the old stone walls that bring the drama? You’d have to think that you couldn’t have one without the other. What makes Walled House Garden such a knockout is the masterful blend of modern and historical. The house doesn’t just slot into its surroundings, it complements them." - IRISH EXAMINER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sums up how I feel about the house quite nicely.

      Delete
  7. I'd need to put in an elevator (lift) my aging knees are not up to a lot of stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... or have some tall hot athlete carry me up and down.

      Delete
  8. I love it when something old becomes new again.

    I follow another blog and there is a guy who contributes consistently of pictures of his homeland Ireland. The pictures are breathtaking. The open fields, valley, and mountains. What puzzles me is your pictures above and the guy's pictures are that it always shows Ireland sunny and bright. I hear that Ireland is always WET-rainy and gloomy. A little Google search tells me the average numbers of wet days-.039 inches or more of rain- on the east is 151 days and on the west 225 days. The summer temperatures don't get above 70-75 degrees. Reminds me of once living in Vista, CA-North of San Diego-and it was always cool/balmy. The folks there would complain if the temperatures on a certain days was going to be into 80's. I need a little more heat. And I am not saying Texas heat. I lived there as well and we had heat indexes.

    Over all I love the house. As always, I would inject a little more color. But the footprint is great. One of the first things I would do is take out the water bowl sinks. They are useless. I never liked big tubs sitting out in the open like a prized possession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask people in Seattle and they'll tell you it's always gray and wet, and yet every single time I've been to Seattle and stayed in Seattle, it's been sunny and glorious.
      I think it's all a plot to keep people from moving there.

      Delete
  9. I like the stone outside. And that's about it. Just not my style at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the ancient stones and the modern house that work for me ... plus, Ireland.

      Delete
  10. OK, so we’ll redo the interiors. But that exterior sold me immediately.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......