Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: Japanese-Inspired Midcentury

This home was built in the 1950s and then remodeled and expanded in 1964 by the owner and, Hal Theiderman, into a Japanese-inspired, Midcentury modern style with floor-to-ceiling windows and indoor/outdoor flow to beautiful gardens that surround the home.

The two-bedroom, three-bathroom, 2,240 square foot home is infused with a sense of artistry and calm and an appreciation of space and beauty mostly due to its lot at the end of peaceful Lake Drive overlooking Wildcat Canyon and Tilden Park.

You enter the home across a series of spherical stone pavers evoking the crossing of a river on lily pad; a Japanese maple grows up through the roof. As you enter through the gold painted door, you will notice many lovely details such as the jewel box kitchen, sliding wall panels, and the vintage clay lanterns that hang at the entry.

A balcony opens from the living room overlooking the lower garden, filled with rhododendrons, camelias, and ferns, and the canyon below. There is a tranquil reading room which opens to the front garden, and a formal dining room with built-in China cabinets and sliding doors out to a large roof deck.
The living room features wood paneled walls, a raised ceiling, a modernist brick fireplace, built-in bookshelves and clerestory windows above the main seating area. There was originally an observatory tower for gazing at the night sky and although the dome is no longer there and the tower is roofed, you can still climb the spiral stairs hidden behind a door from the dining room up to the viewing space.

Down the main spiral staircase you’ll find the marvelous principal bedroom with its own fireplace, a wall of windows opening to the garden, and a serene wood-paneled bathroom with theater-style vanity lights. At the opposite end of the room there is a large office space with a built-in desk; the office is separated by sliding wall panels. The secondary bedroom, with its own bath and built-in bookshelves also opens into the rear garden and courtyard.

Quibbles? Of course; the bathrooms are dated, as are some of the finishes, and the kitchen is too small and closed off. Plus, I’d open up that observation spot again and spend my evenings up there sipping a nice Pinto, but other than that it is all sorts or tranquil, both inside and out.

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:36 AM

    the dog's mother
    I agree - kitchen waaay to small.
    Loverly gardens.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the house, but that kitchen is a giant No.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love the gardens and the Asian influence in the design but I cannot move beyond that kitchen. Carlos, me, two cats and a dog in there?????

      Delete
  3. Oh my God I love this one. I actually like mid-century, but then when you mix Japanese influence in it it becomes even more incredible. This is absolutely stunning, I love all the clean lines and use of all the woods. And what's not to like about those bookcases? I adore the fireplace and I actually like that Railway kitchen I don't like a kitchen when it's too big. And the second picture actually had me with that gorgeous outdoor Arbor.. Japanese influence mid-century might be my new favorite Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a larger kitchen where people can gather; I really like that.

      Delete
  4. I think that the mid-century and Japanese style mix is always a winner. I love the built-ins and the windows. There's also something about those flat roofs that make me think: sleek.
    I totally love the indoor-outdoor situation and the use of twin beds! (very Lucy-Ricky). And the garden(s)!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twin beds does take me back to B&W TV!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. A big YES from me on this one except for the god awful racetrack of a galley kitchen. It would be almost impossible for more than one person to work at the same time and that poor individual would double their appatite just running from one end to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the indoor/outdoor spaces, the setting, the light -- although mid-century modern is not usually my thing. The kitchen is a mistake. Even though I don't cook, I know it's a crap layout for any cook. AND, as you said, it's too closed off. There are a number of things that need to be done to make this mine -- including putting it on the market, moving it to Spain, and giving me the money for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if those things that need to be done, get done, you and SG and The Boys could have a new home!

      Delete
  7. I don't like this one and I can't quite say why, at least not eloquently. I feel that it wouldn't hold my weight, or I'll crash through a wall just from leaning on it. Don't get me started on the spider potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the walls might look a little shoji screen,. but I'm sure they're solid. Buy it and get an exterminator???

      Delete
    2. Bobulah, I think I will stick with the ol' retirement manse. Paid for and perfect.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a better plan!

      Delete
  8. I'd need to update some finishes and lighting, I like the concept

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......